IGNORED

Dog food

Bee Girl

My 1 year old shih tzu dog has always been fussy with food. Won't eat dry biscuits, won't eat tinned food, won't eat 'those rolls of pet meat. She would only eat the pet meatballs. Now she refuses to eat that even. She will however eat human food. What are some dog friendly ideas I can make her to eat. I want her to have a balanced diet but I'm at a loss.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bee Girl

• Chillipeppers

• Basil

• Jersey Caramel

Top Posters In This Topic

Jersey Caramel

I would stop offering all human food, treats etc. Pick a good quality balanced dog food and offer only that. The dog will eat when it is hungry - if it doesn't then you should see a vet. Sudden appetite loss can be a medical problem, but it sounds like your dog has just learnt fussy behaviour. Good luck!

ETA - I am assuming your dog has had a vet check up recently and doesn't have any issues? If not, best to do that first.

Good article here:

https://www.hillspet.com.au/dog-care/nutrition-feeding/my-dog-is-a-picky-eater?&gclid=Cj0KCQiA962BBhCzARIsAIpWEL0l08Ab-VPWmdcBx3VXSItRr74_CNBQpsXIep3ztAl1C5b5n5b1LUMaAmk4EALw_wcB

I took her to the vet due to not eating for 4 days when I got her due to her fussiness. A Barf diet was recommended. I don't mind making her human grade food if she actually eats it. She also hates liver treats, bones, raw meat and pigs ears.

Sounds like my fussy dog. I spent so much money on good quality dog food but the only thing I can get him to eat is ‘my dog’ or our food.

I tried My Dog single serve tubs and after a week of refusing ate them. Thanks.

My dog has a sensitive tooth. He won’t chew bones or eat dry food on that side. The vet has looked at it and it isn’t damaged. We considered pulling it out but other than it needing to be cleaned by the vet regularly, doesn’t affect him.

So, I will make ‘puppy soups’ for him in the pressure cooker which is basically a big bone broth with pork trotters, ox tail etc. Once I strain out the bones, I add in chopped up meat and offal and cook it again. Then I chill it and portion out into serving sizes to freeze. He will eat his premium dry dog food that is mixed with this. I assume the liquid content helps to soften the kibble.

When we had a dog with cancer and she was off her food, our vet gave us a more precise food regimen. I remember doing the soup above but adding chopped up veg and rice. It was so long ago that I don’t remember exactly what veg and ratios though. I remember the vet recommended cooked meat and no raw meat at that time for her.

Advertisement