IGNORED

Help! Cat-sitting

amdirel

So I have had my mum and her cat live with us for about 8 months. My kids are all allergic to cats so the cat spent the vast majority of time in my mum's bedroom. Long story, but now mum has moved out of our place about a week or 2 ago, but cat is staying with us for about 2 more months.

But it's been a fucking pain in the ass.

I get that it's away from it's owner and also it got displaced from the bedroom as DD has moved into that room.

I've bought it a cube bed to hide in and feel safe, and it's also claimed under my piano, so it does have new spots. It is not allowed on the lounge or in the bedrooms.

So problems are- it squawks intermittently all night. I am sleeping in the living area (again long story), so it's been waking me up at night.

So I had to start putting it in the bathroom overnight. It has food x2, water, bed, litter tray, and toys in the bathroom. It will sleep most of the night but usually about 4am it starts bashing at the door and wakes me up, and will continue until about 6am. Why the heck is it doing this and how can I stop it??

It has started weeing out the sides of the litter box and it goes EVERYWHERE. Then it seems that as soon as I clean everything up, it goes and does it again. Whyyyyy???? What can I do about this? I've just started putting puppy pads under the litter box but the wee goes everywhere including under the puppy pad.

Her fur goes freaking everywhere. She's got long thick fluffy fur that literally just floats around in the air and lands all over everything. I've had to start putting the washing into the dryer just so it helps to remove some fur. I don't suppose anything could help with this? She understandably hates my guts so I've only been able to brush her a couple of times.

I had cats as a kid but it's different now because we're in a small indoor only space, and I have allergy kids.

Any advice before I go crazy with frustration??

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• LemonMyrtle

• nightmarish

• Redchick

Top Posters In This Topic

nightmarish

That sounds really frustrating. Are you able to change the litter tray? I had a cat who would make a mess and ended up just using one of the cheap plastic tubs from The Reject Shop, the deep sides mean no spillage. My current cat has a habit of getting disruptive early in the morning, but I have found putting out some feeding toys to amuse him through the night has helped. Cats can be a pain in the butt even when you love them, so it'd be extra hard when you're barely tolerating to begin with.

Can you afford a cattery? Have a friend who can cat-sit? Does your mother have the wherewithal to do either? Given its her cat and it’s an itchy, sneezy inconvenience to her grandchildren.

Totally agree with this- your mother needs to find a friend to cat sit, it’s not fair for you to have to do it (but I totally understand this is easier said than done).

Cats generally pee everywhere when they are stressed- I had a cat who did this. I absolutely adored this cat and it still drove me crazy so I can’t imagine how frustrating it is when you (understandably) do not want the cat in your house at all. Maybe one of those feliway (sp?) sprays might help? Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the hair (I love cats but couldn’t stand a longer haired one). The sticky clothes brushes (or sticky tape wrapped around your hand) seem to work best for posting up car hair.

🤗

LemonMyrtle

Enclosed litter tray would help. Or a big deep sided one.

How old is the cat? My old family cat whinged are night when she got old, part was a bit of her going senile, part was poor eye sight at night making her panic. A night light in the bathroom may help.

As for the hair, don’t know, pet hair just goes everywhere.

I'd say the cat is stressed. The crying, peeing and extra fur loss are stress signs. Do you have any Feliway spray? It might reduce anxiety.

Can you afford a cattery? Have a friend who can cat-sit? Does your mother have the wherewithal to do either? Given its her cat and it’s an itchy, sneezy inconvenience to her grandchildren.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll give it another week and then I might just have to tell mum it's not working out, and let her decide what to do from there.

That sounds really frustrating. Are you able to change the litter tray? I had a cat who would make a mess and ended up just using one of the cheap plastic tubs from The Reject Shop, the deep sides mean no spillage.

Thanks. I'll look into a different litter tray. One with high sides may work.

Cats generally pee everywhere when they are stressed- I had a cat who did this. I absolutely adored this cat and it still drove me crazy so I can’t imagine how frustrating it is when you (understandably) do not want the cat in your house at all. Maybe one of those feliway (sp?) sprays might help? Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the hair (I love cats but couldn’t stand a longer haired one). The sticky clothes brushes (or sticky tape wrapped around your hand) seem to work best for posting up car hair.

🤗

Thanks. Yes I do think it's much to do with stress. I thought of those feliway things, they're just a bit pricey though. And yes I bought one of those sticky rollers; they do a good job!

Enclosed litter tray would help. Or a big deep sided one.

How old is the cat? My old family cat whinged are night when she got old, part was a bit of her going senile, part was poor eye sight at night making her panic. A night light in the bathroom may help.

As for the hair, don’t know, pet hair just goes everywhere.

We don't know how old she is, but she's at least 10, maybe about 12 or more. I did wonder about her going a bit dottery, but hadn't thought of eyesight. The bathroom has no windows, so at night would be pitch black.

I'd say the cat is stressed. The crying, peeing and extra fur loss are stress signs. Do you have any Feliway spray? It might reduce anxiety.

Thanks. As I mentioned, it's expensive as far as I know. But maybe I can suggest it for mum to purchase.

Well last night was slightly improved (for me, probably not her). I got a speaker and played pink noise all night next to my pillow, so I couldn't hear any noise if she did make any.

I also put another dish of food in there just before I went to bed, even though she had had dinner. But this morning it was almost all gone, so it was useful, whether it's hunger or boredom, I don't care, it's whatever helps at this stage!

Hmm I've just had another google re feliway; I didn't realise there was a spray as well as the diffuser. The spray is a lot cheaper. The diffuser is $85!

A no-cost idea for the kitty little is to get your hands on some of those cardboard fruit trays.

I agree with a pp. They are a pain in the butt even when you love them. We have one who won't use the kitty litter the other one's used, and has her own which we have to lift down when we think she needs it because if we leave it down, he uses it. Because that one's just on the floor, there's kitty litter all over the floor afterwards. I've been meaning to get a few of the cardboard trays myself. The covered ones are good, but it's a bit of an ask for you to buy one for a few weeks.

He wakes me with love and affection before my alarm goes off at 5:50 because I give him his treat breakfast (wet food, their mainstay is dry food). The other morning, day after I'd had dental surgery, sitting on the loo he decides to launch himself on to my bare lap, and cracks my very sore chin with his head.

I'd look at cattery options in your place or get Mum to do it since the cat is hers.

Be aware that puss's F3 vaccinations need to be up to date if he is boarding somewhere, if it's an option you decide to go with make sure you factor any boosters into planning.

My cat eats the most over night.

So yes def make sure lots of food at night.

My cat woke me up at 2am. No food and no water poor thing.

Advertisement