As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Another cat post - litter box

Biscuits

Seems like today's a good day for cat posts, so maybe someone can help me.

My male 12yo cat has always enjoyed pissing in annoying places, mostly close to drains in the toilet, laundry and shower. He doesn't seem to do it so much anymore, but he's having trouble keeping his pee in his box. Lately we're finding big puddles right next to the box and I think he gets in, sticks his butt close to the edge and often pees right over the sides onto the floor.

We have a fairly deep box and it's cleaned regularly. Is there a genius litter box that will prevent this, or is it just another annoying cat issue? He is pretty annoying in general, poor love.

*Edited missing word

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• Biscuits

• Ker

• humblebumble

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken Pie

when my young cat peed mostly near drains it turned out he had a UTI - vet said when they pee in odd places thats often an indicator

re peeing over the side - may be due to age, size of the box? is it a covered box or open?

nom_de_plume

We have these enclosed litter trays from Kmart:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/cat-litter-enclosure/2493372

Never had an issue with litter tracking and it's enclosed so nothing gets out over the sides. We use the wood pellet litter so I have added a sifter tray in each for ease of cleaning.

With an older male cat it might be worth a vet trip if this behaviour worsens as it could be a symptom of bladder issues or a UTI.

We have the covered Kmart one posted above too and it works great. I removed the flap initially until I was sure she was comfortable using it, then put it back on after a couple of weeks.

Thanks all, maybe we'll try a covered box. I'm not sure if he's bright enough to use something different, but one can hope. Could be worth a trip to the vet to get checked out, but I think this is a case of his own stupidity. Too many careless boys in this house.

lazycritter

My darling old cat was struggling to get in and out of the litter box by the end and it would go over the edge half the time when she was in. The vet said it was arthritis, she could tell because she wasn't squatting properly.

It might more likely be a uti though. My girl was a lot older.

I would def get a vet check if you haven’t had one for a while, it does sound like it could be a UTI.

I know you said the litter was changed regularly but maybe try changing it or refreshing it more often. At 12 he could be peeing more and more often, which could make the tray feel dirty to him.

I start a fresh clean tray with a smaller amount of litter and add a scoop of fresh over the top during the week if it need to be a bit fresher.

https://www.bestfriendspets.com.au/p/358052-savic-nestor-hooded-cat-litter-box-each

I have this one for my new kitten and the door can be folded back to let you scoop easily.

My boy cat's box you need to take the whole lid off to scoop.

I used the door folded back at first till she got used to using the covered box, then showed her how to swing it open to get in and out and she's been fine ever since.

She's young though so more open to learning new stuff.

Is it annoying removing the lid to scoop?

No it's easy. Mine has clips on the side, you just pull the lid out a bit and it unclips. Well worth the less litter on the floors.

humblebumble

Invest in an automatic litter box, there's quite a few out now & reasonably cheap on Ebay though no idea if it'd help an older cat that is possibly hard ingrained in the habit :( I recently got one & it's been a game changer & you don't have to worry about the cats getting upidty because theres already some doo in there & it's so much nicer to empty & clean, I'm not going through anywhere near as much litter either, though one cat thinks its a bit of a game & loves making it spin lol!

The other thing have you spoken to your vet, sometimes a cat doing his business elsewhere is due to an infection, I cant think off the top of my head the name but it's relatively common in cats, something to do with crystals. & from memory is diet related.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate this thread. Dh has just had another tanty about the litter being on the floor, so I think will try the enclosed one from Kmart. Apparently my store has stock.

Then I will just dream of having enough spare money to justify this. https://catevolution.com.au/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html

A $900 litter box :lol: I never would have imagined.

Let us know how the Kmart one works for you, especially if your cat is old and not too bright. I don't think my guy will take to a new system, pretty sure he would just piss right next to it. I will mention at the vet next time he gets his vaccinations though.

• 2 weeks later...
humblebumble

Appreciate this thread. Dh has just had another tanty about the litter being on the floor, so I think will try the enclosed one from Kmart. Apparently my store has stock.

Then I will just dream of having enough spare money to justify this. https://catevolution.com.au/litter-robot-iii-open-air.html

A $900 litter box :lol: I never would have imagined.

Let us know how the Kmart one works for you, especially if your cat is old and not too bright. I don't think my guy will take to a new system, pretty sure he would just piss right next to it. I will mention at the vet next time he gets his vaccinations though.

I was saving up for that one & was putting away $10 a week & then I found a much cheaper one for $350 on Ebay & it's amazing, it doesn't have all the bells & whistles but it does what it needs to do :P It's great because the poop goes into a bag & you just take the bag out, tie it up and throw it! no scooping nothing & I just use the cheap bin bags from Aldi & Aldi clumping litter & it's so cheap, I think I've already saved my money back from wasted litter in a normal kitty tray.

Biscuits, I forgot to come back.

Two things, the smell is a bit more contained, and he is using it happily. I put it in the same spot and held the door off for a few days, then popped it on. He’s no longer banging at me to change it (that I’ve noticed) and I think he appreciates the extra privacy. Dh is getting less shitty about litter making it outside the box,

It is quite easy to get the lid off to scoop.

Still dream of the robot.

Advertisement