IGNORED

My new kitten is sick

A letter to elise

A letter to elise

A kitten joined our family 3 weeks ago, from a registered breeder. Within a couple of days, he was doing really disgusting farts and foul smelling Poos, and a few days later, diarrhoea. I initially thought it was due to a change in diet, but took him to get checked out at the vet. After 3 days of medicine and a mild diet, he seemed to have recovered well.

We got the stool tests Back today. He has a parasite, two stomach bugs and feline corona virus. Most upsetting was the coronavirus because of the risk of later complications.

I don’t know how upset I should be with the breeder. He had a vet check, but obviously not for this stuff, and I didn’t know to ask.

I’m so sad for my little cat.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A letter to elise

• Chicken Pie

• BornToLove

• Scootaloo

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my cats had cat flu after I got them(from the RSPCA where it's pretty rampant). It's horrible seeing your fur baby sick :(

I hope they get better soon!

A letter to elise

I heard back from the breeder, she’s offered to pay for his treatment which is nice. Kittens very happy this morning, but if anyone has any tips for getting a foul tasting medicine into a cat, I’m all ears!

I heard back from the breeder, she’s offered to pay for his treatment which is nice. Kittens very happy this morning, but if anyone has any tips for getting a foul tasting medicine into a cat, I’m all ears!

Is it liquid? Maybe mix it into a small spoon of plain tuna in spring water?

Chicken Pie

small syringe, wrap kitten in towel to avoid hurting him or you with tiny claws, place on your lap, place one hand over head to hold head using thumb and index finger to pry open mouth - as you do so squirt the medicine into back of mouth quickly

For sure wrap him in a towel to administer the medicine.

If it’s tablets, there is a little stick thing you can get that deposits the tablet into the back of his mouth. Very handy, but if he’s very squirmy, it might be too slow and you’re best to just flick it in directly. Always follow up with a tasty treat like tuna (in spring water) or roast chicken (no bones).

No further advice, but I agree with the two PPs about wrapping him and putting it at the back of his mouth/down his throat, just mainly wanted to say that I’m glad to hear that he seems to be feeling better!

Advertisement