IGNORED

Getting a dog

Aloenyx

I would really like to get a dog, preferably a puppy. However the prices of small dog breeds that I like are quite high, starting from 3k and going up to 7k. Would it be silly to go for a larger breed instead? I've seen some border collies x going for $500 online.

I'd like a rescue but its rare to find a puppy that would suit my family and when there is, they usually receive 100s of applications and I'm never successful. Plus I hate feeling like I'm begging.

What's the best way to find a dog to join my family?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aloenyx

• DaLittleEd

• Romeo Void

• Disydo

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest you do some research and work out a few breeds that will suit your family. If you really want a small breed then a border collie x is highly unlikely to be a dog you can easily live with.

Once you've decided on a breed or two, start contacting breeders to find out more...how much they cost, how long you might have to wait etc. In the meantime, save money. A well bred puppy is going to be $3000 plus easily. But the predictability in size, temperament, activity levels, grooming etc is definitely worth it. And the support from the breeder.

Im a bit nervous about approaching breeders, I want to know how much a puppy costs before wasting their time any further or asking to go on a wait list, but that seems rude. Im also worried I'd never get picked, especially with how competitive it is to get a dog these days.

I'd like a cavalier or cocker spaniel, though I've been looking at some other breeds I hadn't heard of. I grew up with working breeds, so a bit unsure about smaller breeds.

Don't go for a cheap puppy, please! Get the breed that suits your needs, you will bitterly regret discount shopping and ending up with a dog that your family struggles to cope with. I would recommend getting an older dog in the breed your family wants rather than a puppy.

I have a cavalier and a cocker spaniel! We got them as rescue dogs but they are expensive as puppies - my friend got a cocker spaniel puppy for $4500 last year.

Having said that, cavaliers in particular are very (very) prone to health problems, especially heart disease. If you go through a reputable breeder they should be testing for and trying to avoid these conditions. Our rescue cavalier has cost us at least $6000-$8000 in heart scans, medicine, emergency trips, etc. So if money is tight that is something to consider. Cavaliers are incredibly affectionate and lovely dogs but they also tend to be anxious and clingy.

My cocker spaniel is much less maintenance, he's a lovely, lovely dog with a really gentle temperament. He went blind when he was about 11 but has no other health issues.

I should say that both of these breeds couldn't be more different from a border collie. So it sounds to me like you really need to work out why you're interested in certain dog breeds (what traits appeal to you) and then narrow down the list and see what's affordable.

Good luck!

Literally Nobody

We had a border Collie and he was a LOT of work. Plus puppies are like having another child, definitely try going for an older dog. They have lots of love to give.

What sort of lifestyle do you lead (busy? quiet? travel? work?)...

what kind of house (yard space? breakable antiques? tiny apartment?)...

what sort of family (young kids? older teens who’ll do the walks?)...

All these elements impact on what sorts of breeds might suit, regardless of whether you start with a puppy or a senior, from a rescue or breeder.

I work full time though mostly from home. Little to no travel. I am a homebody mostly.

Small house with big yard, already cat and kid proof.

Young kids. I want a dog for me though, for company, security and to have fun with.

Thanks, I do understand its just hard, I wish there was a way to get to know breeds better than Googling them.

Jersey Caramel

There are some good dog selector apps online e.g. https://www.iams.com/breedselector/

Doing a few of these you may start to see some breeds that keep coming up for you and these may be a good place to start.

If you are keen for a rescue dog, you could consider a greyhound rescue service. They often have plenty of dogs coming through (unlike more popular "pet" breeds), have good retraining/house training/foster programs, and are good at matching the right personality dog to your family. Greyhounds often make excellent family pets especially for first time dog owners as they are very low maintenance and quiet.

Good luck!

There are some good dog selector apps online e.g. https://www.iams.com/breedselector/

Doing a few of these you may start to see some breeds that keep coming up for you and these may be a good place to start.

If you are keen for a rescue dog, you could consider a greyhound rescue service. They often have plenty of dogs coming through (unlike more popular "pet" breeds), have good retraining/house training/foster programs, and are good at matching the right personality dog to your family. Greyhounds often make excellent family pets especially for first time dog owners as they are very low maintenance and quiet.

Good luck!

Agree with the above. But be warned, don't believe when they say greyhounds don't shed fur!! They do. In copious amounts. Lovely dogs though.

I work full time though mostly from home. Little to no travel. I am a homebody mostly.

Young kids. I want a dog for me though, for company, security and to have fun with.

Thanks, I do understand its just hard, I wish there was a way to get to know breeds better than Googling them.

If you want to trial a Greyhound a lot of rescue groups will let you take one home for a week or so to see if they fit your lifestyle. I cannot speak highly enough for these adorable gentle darlings. Any reservations over their size is quickly dispelled by their reserved, gentle but adoring personalities.

Chicken Pie

If you want to trial a Greyhound a lot of rescue groups will let you take one home for a week or so to see if they fit your lifestyle. I cannot speak highly enough for these adorable gentle darlings. Any reservations over their size is quickly dispelled by their reserved, gentle but adoring personalities.

Our friends did this and never looked back their greyhound is amazing and when I have a dog friendly yard I’m adopting one lol

Advertisement