IGNORED

New Kitten

OscarandTilly

OscarandTilly

Hi,

We have added a new kitten to our family, a ragdoll we have named Jasper.

BD97-CFA4-1-B8-B-4099-8-B73-AAD5902-A51-C4.jpg

We have 2 older cats 11 and 9 so I have forgotten about looking after a new kitten and would love some advice.

The kitten is eating mince at the moment and I have some royal canin dry kibble. The mince came with the cat when we picked him up from breeder. I tried mixing the kibble in with the mince but he wouldn’t eat it but would eat separately. I heading to pet shop today and need to decide on whether to keep the wet and dry and if so whether to get royal canin wet food and do that for one meal a day?

The other issue that we are having is using the cat litter. I don’t remember having any issues when we got our older cats but jasper had had 2 accidents on the lounge and I’m not sure how to get him to use the cat litter. I have been taking him every hour and at night have been putting him in the bathroom with cat litter etc.

Not sure if he is still a bit wary of the other cats?

Any tips would be great oh and if anyone has any recommendations on what to clean lounge with that may mask scent so he doesn’t think that’s his litter tray (has wee’d in same place twice)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OscarandTilly

• Bornagirl

• nom_de_plume

• Jenflea

Top Posters In This Topic

Urineoff is the best at hiding the smell from the cats themselves. Our Archie, bless his little white socks peed continually on our sofa (he was a stray until about two). In the end I didn’t know what was worse, the smell of cat pee or Urinoff.

If you’re in Melbourne I have plenty left over for you to try.

Thankyou for the offer, however I’m in NSW.

Would pet barn have it?

They would have that or something similar. There are also detergents you can use if you have washable covers. Hopefully someone else will know the specific types that work.

nom_de_plume

How many litter trays do you have? It's generally recommended to have 1 per cat, plus one extra. So it may be that he doesn't want to share the litter box in the laundry with the other cats.

I would contact the breeder to ask what brand of litter and type of tray (i.e. high walled, sifter, enclosed) they were using. Some kitties can be really fussy so I would get the same brand of litter and type of tray he is used to, If you then want to change the brand of litter you can gradually mix the new litter in with the old litter over a fortnight or so until he gets used to it.

As for what will clean the urine off the couch - any cleaner with enzymes. They will definitely have something at the pet shop. I have also previously used our laundry detergent (Biozet).

nom_de_plume

Re: food ... I think it's fine to offer the kibble separately? Ours (fully grown) has about 100g raw meat for dinner, and we put about 1/3 cup kibble out each day that she can graze on. She generally doesn't eat all the kibble.

I have a 2yr old cat and a 6 month old kitten.

They both eat one pouch of wet food for breakfast and dry food the rest of the day. I have to keep the dry separate because the kitten food is higher in calories and my big boy does NOT need anymore fat!

Don't just stick to one brand of cat food(especially wet) get them used to other brands(mine eat Hills, Royal Canin, some shredded chicken ones and 1 Fancy Feast one, all chicken lol) so they don't get bored and if you can't get the ONLY brand they eat, they won't starve.

I have 2 cat litter trays. One in the laundry(when my boy sleeps) and one in the bathroom where the kitten sleeps.

Make sure you're using the same litter(if you can, or as similar as possible) as the breeder. They get used to the smell.

If you feed raw mince they need to be wormed(good idea anyway) unless it's been frozen for 3 days minimum to kill anything off.

OscarandTilly

Thanks everyone. I think we have turned the corner and he is now using the cat litter tray.

I am using the same litter that the breeder used and have multiple trays, however he has been using the same one as the other cats. He is also liking the dry and wet food.

I can’t wait to see his colouring as he grows as I’ve read that it can take 3yrs for their full colouring to come through.

Pigeonpairplusone

Congrats on your gorgeous kitten, we have a 6 month old seal point ragdoll & just adore her. Hopefully you have turned the corner now, we have been lucky as our Pippa have never had any accidents. Ragdolls are the best!

Advertisement