IGNORED

Seriously considering a puppy

Kallie

I really expected not to get a puppy yet, and certainly wouldn't have if we were still in Melbourne. But since getting here we've been reconsidering. Our dog is doing really well with mil's dog, who's still a puppy really only 12mo, but bigger than our dog already lol. Our new house has a much bigger backyard, there's a walking track right by us, and I'm looking at work I can do remotely so I should still be home a lot even when I start working. The kids have been doing really well with the dogs, and even though it does require constant supervision, well, so do my kids on their own lol. It just feels like the right time.

So, I'm leaning towards a rescue pup. I'd love another border collie but I'm wary of the risks if their working instincts are particularly strong (I think we got lucky with our old girl, even though I also put a lot of effort into training her). I'd also love a golden retriever, they're such good natured dogs. But rescue dogs also need homes, and if I'm lucky maybe I'll be able to find a cross that brings a couple of my fave breeds together. I've seen some kelpie lab x's recently that are absolutely adorable. And a border collie x heeler, so cute, but potentially better suited to a farm. Anyway, I guess I don't really have a question, I'm just mulling it all over.

I have thought about fostering, but I don't think our older dog would tolerate the change of lots of new dogs coming through as well as she will a new family member. The cats probably wouldn't be fans either lol, they'll tolerate a new addition (as they do our old girl, they have a don't bother us and we won't bother you arrangement 😅 ) but would probably get a bit pissy if they just got used to one and they went and then another came along.

Haha photos will definitely come if/when we get one!

When our dog was a puppy she really didn't cause us much grief, just liked socks for some reason! I had her trained to sit and lie down without needing a treat in the two weeks from when we got her to her first vet appointment, she was so eager to please and learn. So, we'll probably end up with a little terror this time to make up for it 😅

When it comes to breeders, where do you check their number/ code thing to make sure they're legit, and how hard it is to get one anyway?

I still haven't decided which way we'll go, but checking out some border collie puppies and wondering how to make sure everything is above board.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I need to figure out a name, so far I have Ember, which I really like but dh doesn't seem so keen on. Any ideas?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They're getting there lol, Ember has learnt to give Rogue a wide berth, though the grumpy old thing is accepting her, just doesn't want her jumping all over her/ in her face lol, understandable.

Cats are not impressed, she loves to chase and bark at them trying to get them to play lol.

She's learning her manners though and is getting used to the rules for the kids (she was very in the baby's face to begin with, but now mostly leaves her alone and only licks which is great). She's a clever little thing but certainly has a more dominant personality than our old girl ever did so putting a lot into making sure she knows her place in the pecking order

• Love 1

Advertisement