IGNORED

Oodles of oodles

BKK

So what is the best oodle that you can get as a pet?

My son has autism and the cats are well just catty towards him.

I like the cavoodle but the spoodle is also very cute.

Are boy or girl oodles more loving?

Yes the oodle will need training to be a companion oodle and also be raised as a cat by the cats.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FiveAus

• marple

• LemonMyrtle

• Ozgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

I have concerns about the BYB industry, so we opted for a Cavalier. He is the most beautiful dog and would make a perfect companion/cat trained dog!

However, if you are really set on an oodle, my brother has a first generation cavoodle, and she is also a lovely dog.

Get a poodle!! There's a reason they're bred all the time to make these overpriced mongrels (well, besides to make profit!) and that is because poodles are smart, lovely dogs that make great companion dogs.

Word of warning: These threads never go well OP. Too many pure-bred or nothing people on this forum. Unless you’re adopting from a pound.

Maybe try a dog forum somewhere. ;)

Word of warning: These threads never go well OP. Too many pure-bred or nothing people on this forum. Unless you’re adopting from a pound.

Maybe try a dog forum somewhere. ;)

I'm definitely not a pure bred or nothing kind of person.

My worry is when unsuspecting people want to buy an oodle because they are told it will have specific characteristics, which you simply cannot guarantee when breeding two different breeds.

That's why I always recommend people just go straight to the pure breed that matches their needs.

Yes the oodle will need training to be a companion oodle and also be raised as a cat by the cats.

When seeking a gentle presence for our boys with autism (who were early primary aged at the time) we chose a bullmastiff. Loving, lumbering and lazy were big pros for us. It took about 6 months to find a breeder who wanted to speak to us given we werent interested in showing and then about 18 months for a pup to become available. She was beautiful. A solid, sweet and loyal presence for the kids. I believe the breeder has sold a few of them to be trained as companion animals (they arent smart enough to be assistance dogs generally speaking). It was great to know what we were getting and to have an ongoing relationship with the breeder as our dog grew.

After her I didnt have the thousands to spend on a breeder's dog, so I went with a resuce and did my homework to make sure her temperament had been tested etc,

A bullmastiff is a huge dog and an odd suggestion IMO. Cavaliers are generally friendly and loving OP, though my sister has one who broke the mould and is a bit agro. They also have some hereditary health problems so watch out. I'd get a lab or a shepherd,.

A poodle is the only “oodle” (with the greatest of respect to Kadoodle, who wins the internet today obviously). All other paddles are mutts and very unpredictable- you never know what you’ll get, even from looking at the puppy. The last “cavoodle” I met was so enormous and they’d been told he’d me medium sized. Don’t support BYB, there are plenty of dogs that are great companion dogs.

I'm constantly dismayed at how many people auto-opt for a cross-bred oodle. It has become such a fad - almost like an accessory to household decor.

Anyway OP, I think people here have given you some really good suggestions. Best of luck with your decision.

Thank you all for the input. My cats were not from BYB and I would only buy from a reputable breeder.

I am just trying to get ideas at the moment as I want a dog that my son will love. He wants a red dog kelpie and he’s been getting me to buy dog toys for months,

The cats are not bonded with my son and my rag doll gets anxiety from him.

The dog needs to be the right temperament for him hence not adopting. It’s important that both the dog and my son are happy together.

I'd seriously consider a KC cavalier then, when Isay my sisters one is a bit agro I mean that it will snatch food from it's brother. Generally, they are tail wagging , happy boofheads. Oh and they snore!! ( scared the bejesus out of me first time I heard it).

Otherwise, I'd get a lab or a shepherd though, if you are happy with bigger dogs.

A bullmastiff is a huge dog and an odd suggestion IMO. Cavaliers are generally friendly and loving OP, though my sister has one who broke the mould and is a bit agro. They also have some hereditary health problems so watch out. I'd get a lab or a shepherd,.

An odd suggestion because they’re big? We researched for nearly a year and then met with breeder after breeder. Our breeder had a history of her non show dogs being used as trained companion animals for kids with special needs due to their unflappable, gentle and lazy nature. They were traditionally bred to protect the grounds of estates against poachers. They were trained and bred to only ever pin down and never bite or attack. They don’t need lots of exercise or stimulation and aren’t clever enough to get into lots of mischief. They were ideal for my kids and according to the breeder several others.

Fair enough. I get that. I wouldnt call it and odd suggestion, just one that isnt for you, but thats me being pedantic, sorry. She was brought into our home when we still had a rotti. Another lovely family dog. But again a big breed, so I guess not for everyone.

I have a dachshund who is literally my shadow. If I’m showering she’s asleep on my clothes, if i’m hanging out the washing she’s sitting under the clothesline. She’s a true lapdog who loves a 10km walk on the beach and a rainy day on the lounge.

Poodles are lovely animals.

There was a thread on 9EB not long ago, where someone was worried about poodles as a breed. I can't remember what the problem was.

But the thing was cross breeds, is you don't know which traits from which breed you are going to get.

This is a bit off topic, but something I wonder about when these threads come up. Is anyone crossing a cavoodle with a cavoodle (for example), trying to make a ‘new’ breed, or at least a line that will breed true? The backyard breeder issue aside, it’s always mentioned that you don’t really know what you will get with these crosses, is it something that is worked on, or are they always first generation crosses?

TheGreenSheep

Proud oodle owner here, it’s a cavoodle. King Charles Cavalier x toy poodle 1st generation.

After being tortured with allergies from our long haired rescue cat, when we ventured into dog ownership for me low allergy was high on the list. Small. Friendly. Low shed. Excellent companion. Loves a walk or not.

Whilst not completely on board with a small breed dog, DH and our boys are completely besotted with our girl. She is happy, loving, a shadow who loves everyone she meets, she’s brilliant with other dogs, submissive, has never shown aggression, always is wherever the humans are, will walk or sleep, will run or cruise along. Happy to stay at a kennel. Happy to stay home alone with her toys and a long. Doesn’t chew. Eager to see her groomer. Loves dog obedience classes and thought the asshat dog trying to eat her was wanting to play.

I went through a breeder of mutts who has 10+ years of crossing and was great to deal with before and after. Do your research. Ask on local pages who can recommend someone and why.

Also having met a few pure poodles and cavs I’d probably go cav. Just my opinion.

Post COVID there may be long wait lists or even full rescue homes. Good luck!

Advertisement