Who's getting the vaccine?

STBG +2

Awards

qak wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:34 pm Do we get the vaccine at the GP or is it done at a clinic or where?
I'm in as 2b at present but jump to 2a in a few months. DH will be a 1b.
The 2nd round of vaccines will be given in GP clinics, the first round are being given at the hospital clinics.
MsLaurie

Awards

Due to the temps required, Pfizer is all out of major hospitals only.
The AZ is much more a “standard” vax, in that it can be kept at normal fridge temps. So anywhere that can usually do vaccinations- GPs, pharmacies, council vaccination centres, remote nursing centres etc should in theory be able to handle it.
Andi

Awards

Mooguru wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:02 pm
amdirel wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am
riotproof wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 am

Are they usual side effects for a vaccine? Other than soreness at the site, I’d never heard of any of those.
Yes! All usual side effects.
This is one of DH's bugbears. He gets the side effects of the flu jab enough he needs to consider the risks vs benefits. He gets fever, headache, aches and pain etc badly enough he's needed 3-4 days off work every time he's had it. Every doctor and the vax program people say it's perfectly normal, but not a common reaction.

Whenever he mentions the side effects to people (not to talk anyone out of it or anything, he's pro vax), he gets lectures on how that's not possible. There's no side effects. He's obviously just either imagined it or already had a cold. They just go on and on and on about it.
He reckons the fervent denial of completely normal side effects and attitude of people who are pro-vax actually pushes people to not get the jab. It was a significant factor in him saying *fuck it, I'm not going to bother* one year.

Oops forgot to clarify, not suggesting PPs are doing that. I meant as in the lack of general knowledge about what are normal possible side effects which helps fuel the anti vax agenda, either by people not understanding their own symptoms. Or by anti vaxxers using those symptoms as proof of evilness. Or by provaxxers shutting down conversations with people with genuine concerns.
It sounds like those people saying that to your DH are a little confused! Of course one can get side effects. The argument they're using is what people usually say to those who think the flu vax gave them the flu 🤔😅
Andi

Awards

MsLaurie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 pm Due to the temps required, Pfizer is all out of major hospitals only.
The AZ is much more a “standard” vax, in that it can be kept at normal fridge temps. So anywhere that can usually do vaccinations- GPs, pharmacies, council vaccination centres, remote nursing centres etc should in theory be able to handle it.
DH's pharmacy has applied to give the AZ vaccine, they haven't heard back yet though.
Mooguru

Awards

Andi wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Mooguru wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:02 pm
amdirel wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am

Yes! All usual side effects.
This is one of DH's bugbears. He gets the side effects of the flu jab enough he needs to consider the risks vs benefits. He gets fever, headache, aches and pain etc badly enough he's needed 3-4 days off work every time he's had it. Every doctor and the vax program people say it's perfectly normal, but not a common reaction.

Whenever he mentions the side effects to people (not to talk anyone out of it or anything, he's pro vax), he gets lectures on how that's not possible. There's no side effects. He's obviously just either imagined it or already had a cold. They just go on and on and on about it.
He reckons the fervent denial of completely normal side effects and attitude of people who are pro-vax actually pushes people to not get the jab. It was a significant factor in him saying *fuck it, I'm not going to bother* one year.

Oops forgot to clarify, not suggesting PPs are doing that. I meant as in the lack of general knowledge about what are normal possible side effects which helps fuel the anti vax agenda, either by people not understanding their own symptoms. Or by anti vaxxers using those symptoms as proof of evilness. Or by provaxxers shutting down conversations with people with genuine concerns.
It sounds like those people saying that to your DH are a little confused! Of course one can get side effects. The argument they're using is what people usually say to those who think the flu vax gave them the flu 🤔😅
Yep. But even if someone says that the flu vax gave them the flu, it's because they don't understand it.
Last year DH had a 39 temp, was sweating and shivering, muscle aches etc for 3 or 4 days. It wouldn't be unreasonable for someone with low understanding of how the vaccine works to think they had the flu.
DH described it as sneering superiority. Where people with a little knowledge would rather make other people feel like shit to make themselves feel smarter than genuinely try and act in best interests.
Iamferalz

Awards

Airlines thinking about how the vaccine passport system will work.....

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 574m9.html
Julie3Girls

Awards

I like that Covid live now includes vaccination data, purely from curiosity, I like numbers 😊

It’s a nice feeling to finally see it happening.
Feebi

Awards

Made the mistake of looking at a poll in a local fb group re the vaccine. Seems I live in a postcode full of people who are either flat out no, or are happy to have it but want everyone else to go first.
xaos

Awards

Ernegirl

Awards

ABC have some great updated info here, further clarification on who is eligible due to underlying health issues, and a good summary to counter all the people worried about how fast vaccines were developed:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021 ... fmredir=ms
Be first in a wood and last in a bog.
LaFoom
Subscriber

Awards

Is anyone going to be doing "I've had the jab" selfies on Facebook? After enduring all the ice bath photos etc I'm planning to put one up. But I'm 2a so that's a while yet.

My GP clinic has been sending out vaccine upate emails so I'm assuming they will send out an email when they know they will have stock and we can then book for jab.
Lou-bags

Awards

@LaFoom you betcha!

That is one actually effective thing we can do to combat vaccine hesitancy and vaccine refusal.
Catzilla

Awards

Julie3Girls wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm I like that Covid live now includes vaccination data, purely from curiosity, I like numbers 😊

It’s a nice feeling to finally see it happening.
I saw that this morning for the first time. I went to the COVID Live site, and not really looking properly, glanced to my right where I was expecting "Tests" to be, saw 580 and thought that that couldn't be right; they couldn't have only done 580 tests in 24 hours. Upon closer inspection though, I spotted "Vaccinations" at the top right and had to scroll down to get to the actual "Tests" numbers.
Formerly Sandy Paws
Serenity now insanity later

Awards

I'm 1a (due to the ward I work in) and will be getting the Pfizer vaccine on Thursday. My main worry over the last year has been the possibility of catching Covid and accidentally infecting someone else. Working in a Hospital it is so clear we are not doing anywhere enough to prevent transmission in that environment.
I'm relieved to be getting the vaccine. Even if it's not perfect it will reduce my risk of getting sick and making others sick. Could not live with myself if I infected someone and they died.
Okelydokely

Awards

That’s exactly how I feel too, serenity now insanity later - although I’m in 1b. But with a vulnerable patient cohort, so yeah, couldn’t live with myself if I brought it to them.
STBG +2

Awards

It has been reported that two elderly people in Queensland have been given 4 times the required amount of vaccine yesterday. A doctor has apparently been stood down.
I just do not understand how this could happen.

I am just hearing this now on a MSM network so this comes with a query factor.
Bethlehem
Subscriber

Awards

I’ll get it whenever I can. Which is late in the list. But that’s ok.

There’s a study at the moment about mixed vacs. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00315-5
“I don’t know kid, you didn’t come with instructions” - Chilli Heeler, Bluey S2 ep 50, “Baby Race”.

“The more I drink, the more I answer and the more typing mistakes I make”- Bethlehem 20/11/20
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

Oh Lord, don't read the comments, you've been given fair warning:

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 574xl.html

It doesn't take too much reading of the article to find out that the TGA has, like all other prescription drugs, banned advertising of the covid vaccines. That means ABC chemist won't be able to say 'come to us, we've got the Pfizer' (given there's plenty of confusion about the relative efficiencies), however you will, naturally, be able to find out which one you're lining up for.

Apparently that makes us worse than China. Doesn't allow people to 'research' (with which degree?). 'If I can't have the Pfizer I'll wait'.

Anyone who thinks they might be able to get the Pfizer from a chemist clearly hasn't done much research so far.
MsLaurie

Awards

Evidence from Scotland is looking like AZ is just as good, possibly even slightly better than Pfizer. Will be interesting to see if that shakes out but could upset a few people who have been determined to believe AZ is the “dud”.
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

MsLaurie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am Evidence from Scotland is looking like AZ is just as good, possibly even slightly better than Pfizer. Will be interesting to see if that shakes out but could upset a few people who have been determined to believe AZ is the “dud”.
Yes, i can't quote what I've read - there have been a few, but the reduction in serious illness in those who've had just one dose is fantastic - and the benefit seems to continue consistently through to the second dose.

Would love to hear what @Lou-bags has to say about the two.

I do chortle when people want to do their own 'research' and decide 'which one's the best fit for their family'.

Note, I have no objection to people being fully informed, and reading widely from recognised experts, but it seems the main negative comments on The Age article are from people who didn't even bother to read the article.
Andi

Awards

STBG +2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am It has been reported that two elderly people in Queensland have been given 4 times the required amount of vaccine yesterday. A doctor has apparently been stood down.

Hunt and Kelly spoke this morning about this, but didn't confirm how much. Lady on the ABC now said there are reports getting around that it was a whole vial, but can't confirm.
STBG +2

Awards

Andi wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 am
STBG +2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am It has been reported that two elderly people in Queensland have been given 4 times the required amount of vaccine yesterday. A doctor has apparently been stood down.

Hunt and Kelly spoke this morning about this, but didn't confirm how much. Lady on the ABC now said there are reports getting around that it was a whole vial, but can't confirm.

I missed the presser. The vial holds 1.8 mls so it would mean whoever gave it did not use the required 1ml syringe to draw it up but perhaps a 2.5ml syringe. I am just surprised by this.
ali-song

Awards

MsLaurie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am Evidence from Scotland is looking like AZ is just as good, possibly even slightly better than Pfizer. Will be interesting to see if that shakes out but could upset a few people who have been determined to believe AZ is the “dud”.
I agree - I was talking with an epidemiologist colleague from the Netherlands yesterday, and she was really surprised to hear that the AZ vaccine is regarded as a ‘dud’ in Australia. Absolutely not the view in the rest of the world, and not well supported by data.
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

ali-song wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:00 pm
I agree - I was talking with an epidemiologist colleague from the Netherlands yesterday, and she was really surprised to hear that the AZ vaccine is regarded as a ‘dud’ in Australia. Absolutely not the view in the rest of the world, and not well supported by data.
I'm actually surprised people in the Netherlands are surprised, given the news coming out of the EU. I've read numerous articles about the scepticism in Germany - I've just googled and this has come up, but there were plenty of others.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/some ... ?r=US&IR=T

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK it started with reports mistakenly conflating 'lack of data' for older people, with 'poor result data'. I don't think some earlier info on an accidental half then full dose regimen helped confidence.
xaos

Awards

It doesn't help when people like Michelle start bagging it on Q&A for example.

But Dr Ananda-Rajah called on the Australian Government to be more transparent.

She said some of her colleagues had doubts about receiving the AstraZeneca jab and wanted to receive the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine instead due to its higher efficacy.

"What I'm hearing from some of my colleagues is… they'd like the Pfizer vaccine," she said.

"They understand there's a difference between an efficacy of 95 per cent and an efficacy of 63 per cent.

"I feel the Australian public are not being levelled with.

"This speaks to the issue of Australia's hybridised approach where 10 million adults will get a highly efficacious vaccine in Pfizer.

"The other 10 million will be getting a safe vaccine, which is moderately efficacious, in AstraZeneca.

"When I hear messaging that they're [both] highly effective vaccines, that is not correct.