IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

I’ve been checking in everywhere i can- I don’t want to be unsure when I left a place or if I went on Saturday or Sunday if it’s listed as an exposure site with times. It’s been easy everywhere except Westfield, where the centre itself didn’t have one so I just checked in to each shop I entered. I go to shopping centres very rarely and even more rarely now.

Bornagirl

Just went to our local Coles, and they've got acrylic swing doors to go in, and a separate way out (they had it before but a much more temporary set up). They also now have a very clear checkin QR, so I just did a quiet observation while I was still in that area. Zero other people, of about the ten who came in, checked in.

They need someone standing there saying 'please check in' so that people get in the habit.

squeekums-the-elf

In SA, it is compulsory for all retail, businesses, etc, to have the Services SA QR code. Most businesses have it on their front door, as well as at the checkout. As a mobile OT, I even have to get people to scan in to my business when I am visiting them at their house. It is everywhere and very easily to spot - but this doesn't mean that everyone does it - it looks to me like people are becoming lax here too.

I'm SA too and I've had 3 places in last few months asked if I had, I say yes but haven't checked in and in I go, they don't check. I haven't checked in anywhere the whole time..

My work has told us we are NOT to ask people check in. It's a safety risk for us if they get angry, it's also a drive off risk which could leave petrol not paid for so we don't ask at all.

Our paper sheet can have 4 days worth of dates on 1 page cos only 10 people have used it in the whole week,

I serve 10 people in 10 minutes some days. I've had many say they won't use a paper one as their privacy is at risk as we have to leave the sheet out in open, I agree with them and won't use paper for this reason.

[mention]squeekums-the-elf[/mention] , I understand re the paper sign in but I don’t get why so many have stopped using QR code. The SA one is so easy to use; I can check in without hardly even slowing down my walking.

Bornagirl

@squeekums-the-elf , I understand re the paper sign in but I don’t get why so many have stopped using QR code. The SA one is so easy to use; I can check in without hardly even slowing down my walking.

Same with any of the government ones I've used, and I've added my husband so we're both in with one scan.

Only slowness was when we were on 3G in the Kimberley, but that was the connection, not the app's fault.

As we've seen, Covid can pop up anywhere, the QR names are what gives us the greatest chance of it being resolved very quickly.

I don't know whether people have become complacent, or whether they actually don't care. We know from the way testing numbers shoot up if there's an issue, and plenty are prepared to wait for hours, that plenty do care, so I don't understand it.

squeekums-the-elf

@squeekums-the-elf , I understand re the paper sign in but I don’t get why so many have stopped using QR code. The SA one is so easy to use; I can check in without hardly even slowing down my walking.

Simple, they don't care, don't want to, for whatever reason, dont have a phone yet dont trust paper recording, it's a headfuck and it does hold up the door if someone stuffing about trying to check in.

Where I work some people come in 3 or 4 times a day as we the closest thing to a supermarket in town, it's a headfuck to sign in just to get milk so naturally they dont bother.

I'm shocked the numbers checking in are reportedly so high cos what I see at work just don't match. In an average shift I get 150 through my till, 10 to 15 check in between paper and qr code. The few who ask if they have to choose not to when I say it's their choice.

48 hour pause on flights from NSW from midnight.

Yep, they've always said this is a possibility at anytime. Crossing my fingers for September, my oldest and I are going over for 5 days then I am moving back either November or January, if it happens when we're there I'd rather be stuck over in Chch for 48 hours..

I would imagine the checking in process is going to feel more important in those states who have had the worst time from COVID as they realise how important contact tracing is in overcoming community transmission.

Bornagirl

I would imagine the checking in process is going to feel more important in those states who have had the worst time from COVID as they realise how important contact tracing is in overcoming community transmission.

Except I've found the opposite. I hung around for a minute at my coles today, who've finally got a QR code up and not one person did it.

I've found much, much better attention to the necessity of it everywhere else I've been: Newcastle, Perth, the Kimberley, NT. Places that have not had a single case have a bigger focus overall, than here. It's compulsory in more places in some other states, too. Perhaps the consequences for business in those places are greater?

I suspect that where it's at every shop, people are more habituated to just doing it.

(I don't shop in shopping centres if I can avoid it.)

Greenbean

I don't check in always but my google maps timeline is more accurate anyway as it also tells me when I left. And also which playground we went to etc so a full picture of my days

Bornagirl

I don't check in always but my google maps timeline is more accurate anyway as it also tells me when I left. And also which playground we went to etc so a full picture of my days

I must admit I didn't get around to doing that, should check it out again.

The difference between the QR info and us each having our own (we kept our receipts for a while, here, given no supermarket ones) is that the govt is the first to know where someone's been, then have our details, perhaps while we're sound asleep. By the time we hear about it from the media, then check the exposure sites, there's maybe a day in between. In the meantime we've been out at work, play ...

That why VIc made business liable to have their own check in app sync with the Services Vic one, so that THEY had the information - they didn't have to wait for the business to respond to them and get the info together.

Except I've found the opposite. I hung around for a minute at my coles today, who've finally got a QR code up and not one person did it.

I've found much, much better attention to the necessity of it everywhere else I've been: Newcastle, Perth, the Kimberley, NT. Places that have not had a single case have a bigger focus overall, than here. It's compulsory in more places in some other states, too. Perhaps the consequences for business in those places are greater?

I suspect that where it's at every shop, people are more habituated to just doing it.

I saw many people using the QR but not sanitising. People walking up the travellator holding onto the side and not sanitising at the top is something that bothers me somewhat too.

I am one of those people who takes my own wipes and wipes down my trolley and the table if I sit and have a coffee. I also wipe down the ATM keys but I still do not consider myself OTT.

Ohh I’m one of those people. I don’t use the sanitiser in my local shopping centre, it’s disgusting and leaves your hands sticky and grainy. I do use my own as I’m walking away but it probably looks like I’m not

Bornagirl

I saw many people using the QR but not sanitising. People walking up the travellator holding onto the side and not sanitising at the top is something that bothers me somewhat too.

I am one of those people who takes my own wipes and wipes down my trolley and the table if I sit and have a coffee. I also wipe down the ATM keys but I still do not consider myself OTT.

I think they've brought in the QR code too late at our supermarket - people haven't had one to use and are not going to take it seriously until we've had more cases. It's a supermarket that was an exposure site after the Sydney cases made it to Melbourne, too.

I avoid the handrail too.

I finally don't feel paranoid about not touching toilet exit doors with my bare hands.

Julie3Girls

Our supermarkets still have wipes next to the trolley - I always do that. Hand sanitiser I use my own when I get back to the car whenever I’ve been anywhere.

Woolworths in WA has a reminder in the self checkouts. I think it is just before you pay a screen pops up asking if you checked in. The QR code is above every checkout screen.

Lizzard breath

I’m in SA and check-in everywhere I go. The QR codes are usually right at the door to whichever shop or business I’m going into or they’re at the registers / counters.

I even check my kids into their sports trainings and games as we are supposed to. At basketball, it is the stadiums and at football, it’s the oval or club that it’s at.

It literally takes 2 seconds.

The only place I don’t check in is work and that’s because I work for state Government and we have to swipe in and out with our ID card every time we enter and exit the building, so they can easily trace the info.

The only issue I have is Westfields where I wish you could just check in when going into the centre, rather than each individual shop.

purpleduck

Ok, short trip to Coles this arvo- took and wore my mask, checked in, didn’t sanitise, and noticed a lot more people wearing masks.

They also blocked off the middle doors so it was more the one way in/out thing again.

Ohh I’m one of those people. I don’t use the sanitiser in my local shopping centre, it’s disgusting and leaves your hands sticky and grainy. I do use my own as I’m walking away but it probably looks like I’m not

I use my own too, it is a permanent fixture hanging from my handbag.

The fines are hefty here in WA (and I seem to recall reading they are in SA too).

It’s up to $250,000 for a business.

F478079A-6872-4A7B-8F48-A21E555AC592.thumb.jpeg.68627f34c0150b60a0dd11d26e578937.jpeg

Fines apply in Victoria too. Appropriate businesses had up to April 30th to get them up and running.

This might explain why most places I saw yesterday now had them.

Now to force/encouraged people to use them.

Bornagirl

Fines apply in Victoria too. Appropriate businesses had up to April 30th to get them up and running.

This might explain why most places I saw yesterday now had them.

Now to force/encouraged people to use them.

It's not all businesses though - other states have them in a much wider range of places. I think that helps, because you just get in the habit of using them anywhere and everywhere (although in supermarkets elsewhere no one seemed to use them much, either).

I thought the april 30th was to have their own QR system linked in to the Services Vic system, so that they had immediate access to the information, rather than having to rely on the business providing the info. ???

There certainly needs to be more enforcement. Even if my coles only had someone there for short periods every day, I think people would get into the habit.

Going to a restaurant tomorrow night, will be interested to see how it compares with what I've experienced elsewhere.

Advertisement