IGNORED

SA COVID-19 support thread

Darryl

I thought I'd start a new topic so people can discuss the recent COVID cluster in Adelaide.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-16/seventeen-cases-adelaide-coronavirus-cluster-lyell-mcewin-/12886218

Seventeen coronavirus cases have now been linked to a cluster in Adelaide's northern suburbs, South Australia's Chief Public Health Officer says.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lees75

• Over and out

• Hills Mum Bec

• Lizzard breath

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully we can get on top of this quickly and knock it on the head before it spirals out of control (although it may have already, but we just don't know it yet).

I’m pretty worried. I’m 37 weeks pregnant and I really don’t want to give birth in lockdown. I don’t know what we’d do with DD - the only family who can take care of her are over an hour away, which may not be allowed.

Trying not to fret but it’s been a long year.

Hills Mum Bec

This really sucks. DD16 woke up this morning with cold symptoms. We live regionally and our closest COVID clinic you need a referral for. Cant go to the doctor because she has symptoms, can’t get a phone consult because DD hasn’t been to the doctor in the past 12 months. I’ve driven an hour to the suburbs to go to a drive through testing site that does not require referral and have now been sitting in the car for another hour and a half in the line that has moved about 100m and we are still about 300m from testing site.

This really sucks. DD16 woke up this morning with cold symptoms. We live regionally and our closest COVID clinic you need a referral for. Cant go to the doctor because she has symptoms, can’t get a phone consult because DD hasn’t been to the doctor in the past 12 months. I’ve driven an hour to the suburbs to go to a drive through testing site that does not require referral and have now been sitting in the car for another hour and a half in the line that has moved about 100m and we are still about 300m from testing site.

I'm sorry the wait is so long - but I guess the positive is that so many people are getting tested? Hopefully if there is any more cases out there this will flush them out

I’m pretty worried. I’m 37 weeks pregnant and I really don’t want to give birth in lockdown. I don’t know what we’d do with DD - the only family who can take care of her are over an hour away, which may not be allowed.

Hopefully it won't come to this anyway, but my friend gave birth in Melbourne during stage 4 lockdown. They were able to travel to regional Victoria to take her son to their family, and the family was able to bring him back to Melbourne after they came home from hospital. Good luck!

Hills Mum Bec

I'm sorry the wait is so long - but I guess the positive is that so many people are getting tested? Hopefully if there is any more cases out there this will flush them out

Yes, that is a positive.

What a pain. If the cases keep trickling in, hopefully they'll do what Vic eventually did, and put the wait times for each location. Daughter and her bf needed to be tested, closest one was a 3 x hour wait, the one 45 mins away was 30 min wait so they went there, and ended up with zero wait time. That said, I can't imagine zero wait time anywhere in Adelaide at the moment, but as per a pp, there's at least an upside to that. Hope your day improves!

VeritasVinumArte

Hopefully Adeliade can do what Sydney seems to be doing which is continuing to function and dealing with the “spot fires” reasonably well.

I think the Sydney model is more reflective of a “Covid Normal” than a lockdown.

Hills Mum Bec

some sources are saying lock down likely for a few weeks with aim to nip in bud and revert by xmas

Premier is giving update at 3.15pm, just as everybody is doing school pick up. I predict I will still be sitting in this queue at 3.15pm.

Hopefully Adeliade can do what Sydney seems to be doing which is continuing to function and dealing with the “spot fires” reasonably well.

I think the Sydney model is more reflective of a “Covid Normal” than a lockdown.

I agree. We’ve had days of around 20 cases and with good test and trace they come under control. I don’t think putting people into lockdown and declaring hotspots and closing borders is the right approach to these small outbreaks, which ARE going to happen.

Even in the strictest lockdown Melbourne had we were allowed to have children cared for while in hospital giving birth, try not to worry about that part. Best of luck!

Hills Mum Bec

I’m shattered. Spent over 4 hours in the queue for covid testing and then they closed it while I was still in the queue. 6 hours (incl travel time) of my life I will never get back plus I will likely have to go back and try it all over again tomorrow.

And then to top it all off just found out that the birthday party DD9 attended on the weekend, the birthday girl has chicken pox. FML

Anyone heard numbers update? Someone I know in SA was talking about over 100 people testing positive, but not sure the source of her info.

I heard some politician or health person basically saying of course there will be more cases as people are not listening to the need to still social distance. Sort of failed to mention it started from a badly managed hotel quarantine situation! Really hope it is not a mass breakout for all you SA people...

I’m shattered. Spent over 4 hours in the queue for covid testing and then they closed it while I was still in the queue. 6 hours (incl travel time) of my life I will never get back plus I will likely have to go back and try it all over again tomorrow.

And then to top it all off just found out that the birthday party DD9 attended on the weekend, the birthday girl has chicken pox. FML

Both of these things seriously suck!

As does the news I just read that there have been two confirmed cases who are aged care workers. Fuckity fuck.

Thinking of you SA, I hope you've got this!

Anyone heard numbers update? Someone I know in SA was talking about over 100 people testing positive, but not sure the source of her info.

I heard some politician or health person basically saying of course there will be more cases as people are not listening to the need to still social distance. Sort of failed to mention it started from a badly managed hotel quarantine situation! Really hope it is not a mass breakout for all you SA people...

Last I heard they'd had no more positives today, so I hope what I heard is correct.

If what I also read (can't remember where) is correct, when someone was talking about quarantine workers being regularly tested, they said that a worker had tested positive who was asymptomatic, so it would make sense that alarm bells weren't ringing within the family. People everywhere become complacent when there are no cases - it's human nature.

It's a fair point though, that if people socially distanced, used sanitiser or washed their hands, and wore a mask, the risks of transmitting it to strangers is phenomenally reduced. At this stage though, there are no casual contacts who've tested positive, they're all close contacts, so it's a bit early to be telling people they're not 'doing it right'.

Just wanted to pop in and spread my well wishes with our adelaide members, i think those of us in vic are well aware of the nerves that you'd be feeling and i hope that this cluster is squashed quickly with no major restrictions for you.

To a pp though, I had a lockdown baby in Melbourne, it wasn't so bad, not that different to normal, it'll be ok xx

Is SA only now introducing venue check-ins?

Is that correct?

Some things have had check-ins, some haven't. Cafes/pubs, etc have not had check-ins to date.

New restrictions starting at midnight tonigh (taken from channel 7 Facebook)t:

Gyms, recreation centres, trampoline and play cafes will close, with restrictions expected to be in place for two weeks

Community sports fixtures and training will be temporarily cancelled, but outdoor fitness activities can continue

Funerals capped at 50 people with 1 person per 4 square metres

Churches capped at 100, with 1 person per 4 square metres

No changes to weddings

Private gatherings at licenced venues capped at 50, with no standing consumption and 1 person per 4 square metres

100 per venue at hospitality venues - such as pubs, clubs and restaurants - with 1 person per 4 square metres

Private residences capped at 10 people per residence

Masks mandatory at beauty services for the service provider

Entertainment venues, such as theatres or cinemas, capped at 1 person per 4 square metres

Workers at aged care facilities limited to one facility and masks mandatory

Schools will remain open

DS's basketball had already been cancelled for tonight. The one that surprised us was cancelling community sports, even outdoors, as that was one of the first things to open up last time. So no football pre-season training for DS for now. And he had the final party day of Yr 11 at an outdoor pool tomorrow, which rumour has it, will be cancelled, as it is a recreation centre - yet to be confirmed.

Hills Mum Bec

I was listening to Steven Marshall/Nicola spurrier press conference on the way hone and she said that there are still only 34 active cases in the state as of today, any further cases that are discovered today will not be counted until tomorrow. Numbers are always reported a day after the fact.

Lizzybirdsworth

All my family are in the northern part of SA. My aunt works in the shopping centre the person went to. I hope it is managed quickly. Ds1 is worried now gyms are shut so he can’t do his work experience to finish his PT course and now no training for pre season. Lucky he has the means to do his own at home.

Advertisement