As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Mask recommendations

PocketMacrophobia

I'm sewing my own.

I was wondering though if anyone can tell me, how many reusable masks you need per person? I'm in NSW so only need them for "indoor public areas". I don't need them for work as I wear surgical masks there. I don't do public transport but 3 x kids do.

Any advice?

It depends on how often you do laundry and how often they get taken off. Masks should be replaced each time they are removed. So if you wore one on the bus, then took it off while you walked to your destination, you would need a new one when you entered that building.

they should also be replaced when they get wet (sweat) or if you adjust them too much.

Most people don’t do that. Usually it’s one mask per day, sometimes it’s used multiple days 🤨

My advice is to try a few styles you like for comfort and fit. Then stock up on the ones that work best for you. We have 6x per person and that seems to last us a few days, at least until the next laundry day.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• Kiwi Bicycle

• PocketMacrophobia

• MsLaurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

I have found 3 per person good. One to wear, one in the wash and one spare. The spare is good in case you forget to wash, it gets lost or hidden in a pocket etc.

The silk ones from Bed Bath And Table are lovely and comfortable. Not cheap but worth it!

They are lovely! And currently reduced to $19.95 (which is still exxy)

The silk ones from Bed Bath And Table are lovely and comfortable. Not cheap but worth it!

They are lovely! And currently reduced to $19.95 (which is still exxy)

I went in there yesterday and asked, after looking them up on their website. The lady was so confused and told me they've never sold them, and kept trying to sell me eye masks LOL.

Thanks CP, I finished my masks last night, I used a pattern that looks quite similar to that one you posted. I wish I had seen those nose bridges though; I just used what I had lying around the house which was wire used in cake decorating! Abit heavier gauge than I wanted but not too bad, but I'm also worried it might eventually rust.

Anyway I ended up making 20 masks, for the 4 of us.

The ones from Everlane are very comfortable, although they involve international shipping (their standard shipping is very slow, express very fast).

Thanks CP, I finished my masks last night, I used a pattern that looks quite similar to that one you posted. I wish I had seen those nose bridges though; I just used what I had lying around the house which was wire used in cake decorating! Abit heavier gauge than I wanted but not too bad, but I'm also worried it might eventually rust.

Anyway I ended up making 20 masks, for the 4 of us.

You may want to order the nose bridges anyway, I know cake wire gets recommended but I’m always adjusting over the nose bit and my wire ones all broke in the middle.

Easy enough to replace with the Aluminium bridges and they’ve been great, tho don’t rely on the sticky glue, sew em in!

Oh crap, I didn't even think of the wire snapping. That'll be a pain to remove and replace.

Kiwi Bicycle

Put extra masks in the car for those times you walk out of the house without one!

My bad remembering was walking DS to school when we had to wear masks outsude. I would see someone walking the other way with a mask on and go " oh" and have to turn back to get one. I ended up putting a disposable in DS's school bag in case I forgot.

So the other day I discovered excellent masks for those of us with a bigger head. Kmart ones!

I’ve wasted so much money on cloth masks that don’t fit me, or DH. We seem to both have a big nose, and far-back ears, and just big heads in general. So not many masks fit us. I bought a Kmart one on a whim, and it fits! Even the ear elastic is long enough, and still has adjustment! And both my nose and chin get covered, even when I talk. 3 layers but not too suffocating either, plus filter pocket (not that I ever felt the need for a filter)

Get some now before they sell out! (Those with normal faces, avoid these mega masks ;) )

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/3-layer-adult-face-mask---cherry/3315305

Stuffed Olive

I got a couple of these half price today. They are very light and comfortable and I'm hoping they prevent the skin irritation. If so, I'll cut up some old silk shirts to make some more.

Advertisement