Welcome guest! You are invited to register a free account to access our member-only forums.

COVID-19 general discussion #2

Fruitmincepies

Awards

Team Member

So does this latest cluster indicate that the contact tracing for the doctor’s case was inadequate? How did someone get missed? I hope they figure out how it happened so all states can improve if necessary.
Basil
Subscriber

Awards

Fruitmincepies wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 am So does this latest cluster indicate that the contact tracing for the doctor’s case was inadequate? How did someone get missed? I hope they figure out how it happened so all states can improve if necessary.
Over 400 contacts of the doctor tested negative.

The brother of the landscaper has been genomically linked to the doctor but they haven’t been able to work out how he caught it because they can’t find the epidemiological link.
was “can’tstayaway” . . . Thank you to everyone who created our new home :)
LemonMyrtle

Awards

Basil wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am I hate when billionaires complain about being inconvenienced by things that can potentially save lives ie stopping the spread of covid.
Graham Turner, CEO of Flight Centre wrote:“There is one word that can describe it, it is sheer lunacy.”

“And it has achieved nothing. There is no evidence it has achieved anything,” he said. “I can’t imagine the [Queensland] Premier wanting to do it because of the huge economic impact. We are talking billions of dollars here for a three-day lockdown.”
That’s part of his response to the Brisbane lockdown. He’s more interested in making more money than preventing ordinary people from contracting covid and potentially dying or more likely, suffering from long covid.

It’s as tone deaf as Gerry Harvey complaining about lockdowns, accepting Jobkeeper assistance, raking in millions and crying poor about the stock market falling.

Haven’t these idiots seen what has happened overseas? When covid has not been contained, the economy suffers too. During the last year, one of the busiest flight routes in the country has been Brisbane to Hamilton Island - in the state that was regularly abused for closing borders. Gah!
Ridiculous, a quick immediate lockdown is a hell of a lot more bearable than a long drawn out one cause you left it too late.

It is going to have a huge impact so close to Easter though. Those brave enough to have booked an Easter holiday to Brisbane, or even Queensland, will be changing their plans.
lazycritter

Awards

Gosh the claim that flight centre would lose billions in 3 days is hard to swallow. are they talking state wide? Even that's difficult to believe especially being people are only able to travel domestically.
riotproof

Awards

Loads and loads of people seem to be going away these holidays. Just anecdotally.
A thanks means a hug, I’m so sorry, I hear you, totally agree.. depending on the context.
lazycritter

Awards

I looked up flight centre and their profits were under 300Mil in 2019 for the whole year. Last year was 150m profit if I understand it. Don't know how many people were sacked in the process though
henryk

Awards

blackcat20 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:30 pm I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.
It seems to vary so much. I went public and had a pretty normal experience, only one appointment was Telehealth and the rest face to face as usual. Husband was able to come to all my routine scans, just not the extra growth scans at the hospital, which was no big deal for us.
Feebi

Awards

lazycritter wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm I looked up flight centre and their profits were under 300Mil in 2019 for the whole year. Last year was 150m profit if I understand it. Don't know how many people were sacked in the process though
Are those calendar or financial years?

Jobkeeper would have played a big part in that profit figure.
Store closures and sacking staff would have saved them lots of money.

I'm actually surprised their profit figure is that high if it is for a calendar year.
lazycritter

Awards

Feebi wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 pm
lazycritter wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm I looked up flight centre and their profits were under 300Mil in 2019 for the whole year. Last year was 150m profit if I understand it. Don't know how many people were sacked in the process though

I'm actually surprised their profit figure is that high if it is for a calendar year.
I'm pretty sure they were financial years. They were on track to make 310mil by end of fy 2020
Feebi

Awards

lazycritter wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:56 pm
Feebi wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm pretty sure they were financial years. They were on track to make 310mil by end of fy 2020
That makes sense then. They were operating as per normal for most of the year and only took a hit in the last 3 months or so.
Tinsel

Awards

Went for my 6 month checkup with the GP today. Asked about the flu vaccine because I thought I would get it while I was there - I usually wait until early May to get me through the worst of the flu season. GP is hopeful they will be getting some very soon but doesn't know when. She also hopes they will have covid vaccines at the end of April/early May but again, can't be sure. Centre staff are currently going through patient lists and will be contacting all patients as vaccines are available so their classification group can be vaccinated in a vaccine clinic the medical centre will be setting up.
"Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves..." H.W.
LemonMyrtle

Awards

Am I allowed to giggle at the fact that a tradie may have just had his side hustle as an entertainer at bachelorette parties exposed to the entire country? I’m just imagining how he tells his boss when they ask “how did you catch it?” Lol.
purplekitty

Awards

Interesting article.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan — 'You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.'
Princess Peach

Awards

LemonMyrtle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:11 pm Am I allowed to giggle at the fact that a tradie may have just had his side hustle as an entertainer at bachelorette parties exposed to the entire country? I’m just imagining how he tells his boss when they ask “how did you catch it?” Lol.
I may have had a good giggle at that one - For some reason the phrasing made it funnier.
Phillipa Crawford

Awards

Tinsel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 pm Went for my 6 month checkup with the GP today. Asked about the flu vaccine because I thought I would get it while I was there - I usually wait until early May to get me through the worst of the flu season. GP is hopeful they will be getting some very soon but doesn't know when. She also hopes they will have covid vaccines at the end of April/early May but again, can't be sure. Centre staff are currently going through patient lists and will be contacting all patients as vaccines are available so their classification group can be vaccinated in a vaccine clinic the medical centre will be setting up.
I used the Gov't website to locate a clinic for my parents to receive it. Found one who was taking calls at their local shopping centre
They rang last Tuesday 23rd, were ask to ring back on the 25th and received their first shot on Monday morning 29th.
They are in their mid 80's and I wasn't comfortable with the 'we will let you know when/if we get some', of their GP.
So it is possible to get vaccinated, you just need to advocate for yourself as they aren't helping you out any.
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

2 x new community cases in qld with an amazing 33k tests! So far, so good.

Fx NSW is clear, too. ETA: Yay, none! One day at a time.
Julie3Girls

Awards

1 positive in nsw after the time cutoff though. Increased restrictions for the Byron area,
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

Julie3Girls wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am 1 positive in nsw after the time cutoff though. Increased restrictions for the Byron area,
Oh, bummer. That'll mean a whole new list of risky sites for the locals. If it means increased restrictions for the festival, I can't say I'm sorry, although I fully acknowledge it's shattering for the organisers.

I wonder if Vic will make it a red zone now, given the number people from Vic who'd be likely to travel up to it, and the um, profile of that group?
Tinsel

Awards

Phillipa Crawford wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am
Tinsel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 pm Went for my 6 month checkup with the GP today. Asked about the flu vaccine because I thought I would get it while I was there - I usually wait until early May to get me through the worst of the flu season. GP is hopeful they will be getting some very soon but doesn't know when. She also hopes they will have covid vaccines at the end of April/early May but again, can't be sure. Centre staff are currently going through patient lists and will be contacting all patients as vaccines are available so their classification group can be vaccinated in a vaccine clinic the medical centre will be setting up.
I used the Gov't website to locate a clinic for my parents to receive it. Found one who was taking calls at their local shopping centre
They rang last Tuesday 23rd, were ask to ring back on the 25th and received their first shot on Monday morning 29th.
They are in their mid 80's and I wasn't comfortable with the 'we will let you know when/if we get some', of their GP.
So it is possible to get vaccinated, you just need to advocate for yourself as they aren't helping you out any.
Yep and on the govt website, the only clinic listed is nowhere near me and tricky to get to by public transport because I don't drive. It is also only a 2 x GP clinic who no doubt will be overrun with their own patients getting the vaccine, let alone the other 43000 of us in my suburb and as my 'turn' hasn't come yet, I wouldn't qualify to get it anyway.
"Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves..." H.W.
MsLaurie

Awards

Very interesting to see both NSW and Qld pissed off at the commonwealth this morning about vaccine availability. NSW’s Minister Hazzard & Premier Berejiklian were unusually scathing.
riotproof

Awards

Mslaurie, I just read about that. Interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-31/ ... 4TcQ9cdnFM
A thanks means a hug, I’m so sorry, I hear you, totally agree.. depending on the context.
MyOMy

Awards

Rightfully so, the roll out has been a monumental failure. And the press are questioning premiers why staff weren’t vaccinated, I’d get cranky too. Can’t vaccinated when you have no supply.

In Vic department of health admin staff who are working from home are receiving vaccinations, classified as 1b as ‘health care workers’. Whilst front line 1a workers are still waiting for theirs. It’s a woefully unacceptable.

Get me in front of the media and I’d be scathing too.
MsLaurie

Awards

ACT Health Minister has also come out saying the supply and comms have been wonky from the Commonwealth... looks like a pretty united and pissed off group of Health Ministers.
purplekitty

Awards

The whole vaccine roll out has been abysmal.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan — 'You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.'
Julie3Girls

Awards

Bluesfest just got cancelled.