COVID-19 general discussion #2

User avatar
Lesley225
Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Awards

#1326

Neray every time they've reported on such behavior it's been wrong. I hadn't heard any correction.

Poor people have to live with the incorrect publicity
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1327

Lesley225 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:53 am Neray every time they've reported on such behavior it's been wrong. I hadn't heard any correction.

Poor people have to live with the incorrect publicity
It generally hasn't made it to the ABC and The Guardian though, as being fact. I take zero notice of reports on most other media - they're report anything to be first without giving a damn about it's accuracy, just to get the clicks.

I expect those two to either have double checked, or reported it as 'it's been reported, but not yet confirmed by police/authorities ...' etc.
User avatar
Andi
Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Awards

#1328

STBG +2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:38 am
Andi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 am I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!
My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.
Her first face to face was 2o weeks.
I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.
There has definitely been a variety of experiences in that group. Some had no in-person appointments until after 30 weeks. Many had no GTT. A lot of FTM were feeling very clueless and unsupported. Maternity wards have been crazy busy too, with people's inductions being pushed back due to no space. Didn't you say a little while ago that you had to provide some prenatal care for someone you knew as they weren't receiving it from their hospital?
User avatar
Mooguru
Member
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am

Awards

#1329

It's premiers announcing bad behaviour at media conferences as fact and I strongly suspect it's a political strategy given it's happened multiple times now, apologies are thin on the ground - "miscommunication by the person or contact tracers" which in Tasmania was strongly denied by the parties involved. It's a cheap and easy way to politically distance themselves from a worsening outbreak by putting blame onto people breaking the rules. I don't know why there isn't more backlash against it.
User avatar
blackcat20
Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Awards

#1330

STBG +2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:38 am
Andi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 am I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!
My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.
Her first face to face was 2o weeks.
I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.
I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.
User avatar
Andi
Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Awards

#1331

blackcat20 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:30 pm
STBG +2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:38 am
Andi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 am I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!
My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.
Her first face to face was 2o weeks.
I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.
I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.
I'm with you there, so glad I was private. I received care as good as ever.
User avatar
STBG +2
Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Awards

#1332

Andi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:18 pm
STBG +2 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:38 am
Andi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 am I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!
My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.
Her first face to face was 2o weeks.
I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.
Didn't you say a little while ago that you had to provide some prenatal care for someone you knew as they weren't receiving it from their hospital?
Yes, this was her. She had not seen anyone until 20 weeks so I went and took my doppler with me. I went a couple of times when she only had telehealth as she wanted someone to feel her belly and check that all was growing as she did not feel movements until quite late. Baby and mum are well but the experience let her down after her first baby.
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1333

I hope Queensland folk haven't paid too high a price for the misinformation that the government provided.

It's hard to imagine the WA response if that had not come out. Although one person might not have been supposed to be there, perhaps the person took all efforts to keep themselves away as far as possible.

ETA: I'll qualify that by saying our health staff in Victoria certainly were not helped by being told they probably got Covid in the community, whereas they mostly got it at work, despite their own best efforts, so this isn't a dig at Qld, it's a dig at govt acting like it's a minor issue, but it's had major consequences in some states.
User avatar
Basil
Subscriber
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 am

Awards

#1334

Bornagirl wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 pm I hope Queensland folk haven't paid too high a price for the misinformation that the government provided.

It's hard to imagine the WA response if that had not come out. Although one person might not have been supposed to be there, perhaps the person took all efforts to keep themselves away as far as possible.

ETA: I'll qualify that by saying our health staff in Victoria certainly were not helped by being told they probably got Covid in the community, whereas they mostly got it at work, despite their own best efforts, so this isn't a dig at Qld, it's a dig at govt acting like it's a minor issue, but it's had major consequences in some states.
WA has been pretty consistent in their approach to covid outbreaks. I doubt the 25 person party vs 5 flatmates and visitor would have swayed things much. The 3 confirmed cases having been out and about in the community, would probably be enough on its own.
was “can’tstayaway” . . . Thank you to everyone who created our new home :)
User avatar
xaos
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:14 pm

Awards

#1335

Basil wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:36 pm
Bornagirl wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:10 pm I hope Queensland folk haven't paid too high a price for the misinformation that the government provided.

It's hard to imagine the WA response if that had not come out. Although one person might not have been supposed to be there, perhaps the person took all efforts to keep themselves away as far as possible.

ETA: I'll qualify that by saying our health staff in Victoria certainly were not helped by being told they probably got Covid in the community, whereas they mostly got it at work, despite their own best efforts, so this isn't a dig at Qld, it's a dig at govt acting like it's a minor issue, but it's had major consequences in some states.
WA has been pretty consistent in their approach to covid outbreaks. I doubt the 25 person party vs 5 flatmates and visitor would have swayed things much. The 3 confirmed cases having been out and about in the community, would probably be enough on its own.
I agree - WA is very consistent and why wouldn't they be. The people of WA love their gov being strong on borders so any case(s) anywhere in Australia why not shut it down as quick as possible because it is a sure vote winner. Keep WA safe and make it great again! :)

Social scientists must be loving Covid - so much change in such a short time, with so much data to play with!

Here we have a State (WA) now completely dominated by Labor (Left) who ran on a strong border / keep the undesirables out policy (usually reserved for the right) - Classic
User avatar
Jolly_F
Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Awards

Team Member

#1336

Mod hat on

Re the arguments in threads. You cant take a discussion out of one thread into another no matter what the thread. Please do not @ a member or quote their posts from any thread and especially a support thread. If you see an aspect of a pov that you think might be a useful or interesting conversation then please start a spin off thread.

Thanks
JF
User avatar
LemonMyrtle
Member
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Awards

#1337

3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1338

LemonMyrtle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:16 pm 3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.
They don't know yet. She worked with Covid patients, but they need the genomic sequencing to see where she was likely to catch it.
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1339

Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.
User avatar
Lees75
Subscriber
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Awards

#1340

Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."
Lisa
DS17 and DD14
User avatar
Basil
Subscriber
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 am

Awards

#1341

LemonMyrtle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:16 pm 3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.
I found AP’s hot spot declaration a little humorous (in a perverse we are being locked down way). It was kind of a “nah nah” to Morrison and GB about yes, we have a strict hot spot threshold and we will apply it to ourselves too.

Re the two women new cases, they are sisters and one of them is a nurse who works with covid patients at the PA hospital (same one as the doctor a few weeks ago). They’re waiting on genomic sequencing but they don’t think she caught it at work. Which in some ways, is probably worse.

Lees75 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."
The CHOs of all states have been in regular contact with each other throughout this pandemic. It’s just the idiot politicians who try to score points by trying to portray something different.
Bornagirl wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.
I agree! My heart leapt into my mouth when I saw the headline later in the morning. I thought ‘crap, we will be in a longer lockdown if they’ve found another 6 cases so quickly’.

Our schools have online learning for the next 2-3 days. PITA but at least they’re all set up and everyone’s accustomed to it. I’d rather go on holiday early. I did indulge in a brief dream of escaping to the coast.
was “can’tstayaway” . . . Thank you to everyone who created our new home :)
User avatar
Feebi
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 am

Awards

#1342

Basil wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:25 pm
LemonMyrtle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:16 pm 3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.
I found AP’s hot spot declaration a little humorous (in a perverse we are being locked down way). It was kind of a “nah nah” to Morrison and GB about yes, we have a strict hot spot threshold and we will apply it to ourselves too.

Re the two women new cases, they are sisters and one of them is a nurse who works with covid patients at the PA hospital (same one as the doctor a few weeks ago). They’re waiting on genomic sequencing but they don’t think she caught it at work. Which in some ways, is probably worse.

Lees75 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."
The CHOs of all states have been in regular contact with each other throughout this pandemic. It’s just the idiot politicians who try to score points by trying to portray something different.
Bornagirl wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.
I agree! My heart leapt into my mouth when I saw the headline later in the morning. I thought ‘crap, we will be in a longer lockdown if they’ve found another 6 cases so quickly’.

Our schools have online learning for the next 2-3 days. PITA but at least they’re all set up and everyone’s accustomed to it. I’d rather go on holiday early. I did indulge in a brief dream of escaping to the coast.
Not all Brisbane schools are doing online learning.
Ours (a state high school) sent home an email saying there will be none.
User avatar
Pigeonpairplusone
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Awards

#1343

Only my primary school aged kid will have online work, my two high schoolers have finished assessments & have no work to do.
User avatar
Basil
Subscriber
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 am

Awards

#1344

Feebi wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:51 pm Not all Brisbane schools are doing online learning.
Ours (a state high school) sent home an email saying there will be none.
Yeah, I wish our schools (I have kids at different schools) were doing that.
was “can’tstayaway” . . . Thank you to everyone who created our new home :)
User avatar
Jerry
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Awards

#1345

The message for Qld State schools from the Dept of Ed is no home learning (online or otherwise) for these three days. Holidays early.
Message from DD's state high school was only work needs doing if assignments due in.

My school is not doing any learning at home for students. I've told parents just to start holidays. :)
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1346

Basil wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:25 pm
LemonMyrtle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:16 pm 3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.
I found AP’s hot spot declaration a little humorous (in a perverse we are being locked down way). It was kind of a “nah nah” to Morrison and GB about yes, we have a strict hot spot threshold and we will apply it to ourselves too.

Re the two women new cases, they are sisters and one of them is a nurse who works with covid patients at the PA hospital (same one as the doctor a few weeks ago). They’re waiting on genomic sequencing but they don’t think she caught it at work. Which in some ways, is probably worse.

Lees75 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."
The CHOs of all states have been in regular contact with each other throughout this pandemic. It’s just the idiot politicians who try to score points by trying to portray something different.
Bornagirl wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.
I agree! My heart leapt into my mouth when I saw the headline later in the morning. I thought ‘crap, we will be in a longer lockdown if they’ve found another 6 cases so quickly’.

Our schools have online learning for the next 2-3 days. PITA but at least they’re all set up and everyone’s accustomed to it. I’d rather go on holiday early. I did indulge in a brief dream of escaping to the coast.

My underlining. Exactly. In fact a few months ago, over a few days, they seemed to be making a particular point about it when there was a cluster somewhere: 'I was talking to x this morning ...' 'I've just missed a call from Y which I'll be returning ...' 'Z advised me yesterday.

It really seemed like they were trying to make the point that they were NOT politicians and were all working very well with each other. That gives me great heart.
User avatar
Lees75
Subscriber
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Awards

#1347

I guess that’s why I thought it was great that a Liberal premier was so supportive of a Labor premier, even mentioning that he had talked to AP this morning.
Lisa
DS17 and DD14
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1348

Lees75 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:02 pm I guess that’s why I thought it was great that a Liberal premier was so supportive of a Labor premier, even mentioning that he had talked to AP this morning.
Dan Andrews did a lot of that with NSW, probably more than he did with Qld and WA. Still politics, I think, on their part, even if the person they're referring to is of a different colour.
User avatar
Basil
Subscriber
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:57 am

Awards

#1349

I hate when billionaires complain about being inconvenienced by things that can potentially save lives ie stopping the spread of covid.
Graham Turner, CEO of Flight Centre wrote:“There is one word that can describe it, it is sheer lunacy.”

“And it has achieved nothing. There is no evidence it has achieved anything,” he said. “I can’t imagine the [Queensland] Premier wanting to do it because of the huge economic impact. We are talking billions of dollars here for a three-day lockdown.”
That’s part of his response to the Brisbane lockdown. He’s more interested in making more money than preventing ordinary people from contracting covid and potentially dying or more likely, suffering from long covid.

It’s as tone deaf as Gerry Harvey complaining about lockdowns, accepting Jobkeeper assistance, raking in millions and crying poor about the stock market falling.

Haven’t these idiots seen what has happened overseas? When covid has not been contained, the economy suffers too. During the last year, one of the busiest flight routes in the country has been Brisbane to Hamilton Island - in the state that was regularly abused for closing borders. Gah!
was “can’tstayaway” . . . Thank you to everyone who created our new home :)
User avatar
Bornagirl
Subscriber
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

Awards

#1350

Basil wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 am I hate when billionaires complain about being inconvenienced by things that can potentially save lives ie stopping the spread of covid.
Graham Turner, CEO of Flight Centre wrote:“There is one word that can describe it, it is sheer lunacy.”

“And it has achieved nothing. There is no evidence it has achieved anything,” he said. “I can’t imagine the [Queensland] Premier wanting to do it because of the huge economic impact. We are talking billions of dollars here for a three-day lockdown.”
That’s part of his response to the Brisbane lockdown. He’s more interested in making more money than preventing ordinary people from contracting covid and potentially dying or more likely, suffering from long covid.

It’s as tone deaf as Gerry Harvey complaining about lockdowns, accepting Jobkeeper assistance, raking in millions and crying poor about the stock market falling.

Haven’t these idiots seen what has happened overseas? When covid has not been contained, the economy suffers too. During the last year, one of the busiest flight routes in the country has been Brisbane to Hamilton Island - in the state that was regularly abused for closing borders. Gah!
When the Northern Beaches outbreak happened, there was a cricket commentator in Adelaide who had to leave/isolate/quarantine whatever, and was annoyed that it involved him. He said 'you shouldn't have to isolate' just because of the postcode you live in'. I don't think it helped his reputation with Melburnians, who'd suffered a harsh lockdown 'simply because of the postcode they lived in'.

The uber rich have managed to avoid some of the worst (yachts from Melbourne to the Gold coast, anyone?), but if they do get caught up in it, some of them are apoplectic, instead of acknowledging they have it easier than most people.
Post Reply