IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

[mention]WaitForMe[/mention] it's not something that strictly has to be done, it's more of a housekeeping exercise so that long-running topics don't have "stale starts" (from a new reader's perspective).

So my DS is in hospital. He had an accident at him and cut himself. I can’t be with him

I was supposed to be in Canberra this weekend and I can’t he with him because of this damn virus

So my DS is in hospital. He had an accident at him and cut himself. I can’t be with him

I was supposed to be in Canberra this weekend and I can’t he with him because of this damn virus

Sorry you are in that situation, hope your DS recovers quickly.

I wonder which of the vaccines the bulk of Australians will be getting.

I'm musing over the different efficacy and side effects of the 3 vaccines already out of the starting block internationally, Pfizer, Moderna and the Oxford one.

:( Hugs from internet random

I'm musing over the different efficacy and side effects of the 3 vaccines already out of the starting block internationally, Pfizer, Moderna and the Oxford one.

I reckon the Oxford because apparently we do not have the local manufacturing capability for the Pfizer or Moderna. The Oxford seems to vary in efficacy from 70% to 90% depending on the dosing regimen. Not sure if they have replicated the 90% result either as that was apparently a much smaller trial.

So this would suggest we will have some level of restrictions even after the vaccine while they perfect things, as it’s expected Covid will be endemic at least for some time. It will also be interesting to see how often we would need to have the vaccine too.

Bit of a design flaw on the new forum - you can't quote a post when the thread is closed, but I thought the last post from [mention]TinCat[/mention] was very worth carrying forward:

TinCat

Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:12 pm

With all the stress in Australia regarding COVID, this was sobering to read in The Age

There have been 750,000 fresh coronavirus cases worldwide over the past 24 hours, Professor Kelly says. In Australia, seven of eight jursidictions have recorded no new local cases today (NSW reported three).

There were 1000 deaths in the UK on Saturday and 4000 in the US.

I remember when it would take weeks - and then days - to get to those sorts of figures.

Here's your answer, Paul Kelly has just spoken about it, it's the Oxford.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-10/covid19-astrazeneca-vaccine-most-australians-will-get-paul-kelly/13045960

Here's your answer, Paul Kelly has just spoken about it, it's the Oxford.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-10/covid19-astrazeneca-vaccine-most-australians-will-get-paul-kelly/13045960

He didn't mention the cost, strangely, which is why I assumed unlikely to be Pfizer. The Pfizer one costs something like $26 a shot vs the Oxford one which is something like $2 a shot.

I thought that too, but it’s easy to click on the wrong one too. I always hit laugh before I hit care on FB. Terrible placement.

I reckon the Oxford because apparently we do not have the local manufacturing capability for the Pfizer or Moderna. The Oxford seems to vary in efficacy from 70% to 90% depending on the dosing regimen. Not sure if they have replicated the 90% result either as that was apparently a much smaller trial.

So this would suggest we will have some level of restrictions even after the vaccine while they perfect things, as it’s expected Covid will be endemic at least for some time. It will also be interesting to see how often we would need to have the vaccine too.

Does anyone know if the vaccinations have been tested for / provide effective protection against all strains?

I'm concerned that we will all get vaccinated and then find we aren't immune to a new mutation / strain that pops up.

Advertisement