IGNORED

Returning to the gym (Victoria)

Mrs Twit

I have had my gym membership on hold since March last year due to covid. I am starting to feel more comfortable about the situation here and was thinking about activating again. But I'm not THAT comfortable. I do walk, ride and swim outside of the gym but what I am missing most is pilates. And I am not disciplined enough to do it online.

Have any other gym goers decided one way or another whether they are returning.. Someone I know from my gym said she won't go back until there is a vaccine.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrs Twit

• LemonMyrtle

• WaitForMe

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone back. NSW has shown gyms as vectors. I am still paying them once they resumed. I have no idea when I will feel comfortable going.

However my DH has done physio led pilates all through lockdown. At one point it was one on one sessions, but now back to small 4 people classes. Everything is cleaned and it's not a gym environment ( you have to book to go).

OK thanks. My physio does that but I'm not sure if it is only for people with injuries. I will find out.

I did wonder about doing pilates elsewhere because I don't need the gym for the other stuff I do. Its just a lot more expensive for me to do everything individually ie if I have to pay for pilates and swimming once a week each that would cost more than my weekly gym membership! It's the only reason I still go (and my pilates instructor is awesome).

I won’t be going back- I’ve got a great routine going with online classes (on demand/when I want to) and outside activity, mostly walking and bike riding. I’ve spent $150 on the online classes and I’ll have them forever so I’m saving a fortune on gym barre classes and having way more fun.

PocketMacrophobia

Different states but I went back to yoga in WA in August/September, I think that was three months after the last local case. Very low total number of cases.

Now in NSW I've not done a class and I won't. The class sizes available seem to be quite big compared to where I'd been at home.

I'd consider a very small class though, maybe?

In WA I decided I'd go to one class and weigh up how stressful I found it against the fact that previously it was important for my over all well being.

I haven't been back, but it's just because I'm lazy. At 68 I'm really noticing the effect on my muscle mass and fitness, and at my age I can't let that continue.

Must do better.

DH went back straight away. I dont like him going, but cant stop him. But i dont like gyms at the best of times, i hate touching any of the equipment.

I think going back to a pilates class is ok, if its not shared equipment, and the gym is following a good covid plan, like extra cleaning, and extra airflow, and class number caps, etc.

Can you find a pilates in the park or try outdoor yoga? Or something else outdoors? Ive seen heaps of outdoor yoga classes around.

I went back to my pilates studio as soon as it was allowed. It’s so important for my mental and physical health that it would not occur to me to not go because of COVID risk.

Thanks everyone. I might go down to the gym and check out their hygiene practices and class sizes before I decide. It's quite a small gym and class sizes were way down in the couple of weeks before they closed for the first lockdown. I'll also look at some other options for pilates.

I've gone back, I don't do classes, I just use the equipment, there is plenty of disinfectant wipes around to wipe over machines before and after use and staff are constantly cleaning.

Classes are full, the rest of the gym is pretty empty though, with every second treadmill/bike disabled.

I've gone back for a while now. Check out what the gym is doing to be Covid safe. Where I go. I'm only doing pilates, and we wipe the reformer before and after, no additional equipment is used (weights, balls, rings etc), masks are encouraged though some people do remove them, they have removed about 1/3 of the beds and spaced out the remaining ones, they've also changed class times to limit the number of people moving between one class ended and another beginning.

I guess my thoughts are if there is no community transmission in your area (as big as you need that area to be to feel comfortable), then I’d be ok with the gym.

The gyms in my area are going to be pretty much exclusively local people. I am hours away from the nearest COVID outbreaks, I’ve heard what the gyms COVID rules are, and I know our local classes are reasonably small. So yes, if I did the gym, I’d be happy.

First sign of a case in my area, and the gym visits would stop again.

Big gym no - now go to gym that is run by Exercise Physiologist - maximum of 4 at a time and program is designed for me - including pilates

This is me. I’m in Qld and we had no community transmissions for months but I still didn’t feel comfortable going to a regular gym. I also do Pilates in small classes with a physio.

DH wanted to for cost reasons, but I am more comfortable with small class sizes, excellent hygiene practices and well ventilated (both the gym and pilates studio have big doors that open for fresh air. It’s almost like being outside.

We never know when a new outbreak will occur but so long as we are following Covid safe practices, our chances of catching it is reduced.

I went back as soon as we were allowed (VIC). I do body balance (so own mat, no heavy breathing) and use the cardio and weights area. I'm very fussy about wiping everything down, and the cleaners are also constantly doing rounds. It's been very quiet, usually about 5 people in the class.

Weight training is a HUGE part of my life and self regulation, I used to go to the gym at 4-5am 5days a week purely for weight training and I am not going back. It was a huge decision for me that I agonised over but once the decision was made and I cancelled the membership I felt great and knew I'd made the right choice. The gym was such a huge part of my life that everyone I know was mega shocked at my decision. For many people in my life the gym was my only identity.

I am extremely self motivated though and have never relied on others to train. In fact I'm the opposite, which is why I used to go so early.

Since March last year I've been building up my equipment and now have my own shed with a power rack, bench, olympic bar and plates and I absolutely love it. My OWN space with no other people, no loud music, no bright lights (all natural light) and no extreme air-conditioning. Oh and only my own germs. Tee hee.

I made sacrifices to get my set up but it was very much worth it.

No, I cancelled my membership and now walk around the local lake once I've dropped DS off at holiday program / school. My parents haven't been back either, they don't feel comfortable due to covid, so they go walking instead.

No, I cancelled my membership. I bought a subscription to Les Mills online and use that instead, and I prefer it. Lockdown was actually great for my fitness - after signing up to the online classes I was able to get back to exercising every day which I love.

Similar to you [mention]Willa May[/mention] I don't find it hard to be motivated to exercise at home, so I wasn't worried about losing the accountability of physically going to the gym.

I'm so unmotivated to exercise at home. I am happy to go out for a walk/ride/swim. But doing classes online doesn't work for me. Unfortunately I put on a couple of kilos last year so I need to change something.

My problem is space at home. I have a bike trainer that I use on the decking but I have to pack it away each time or at least cover it with a tarp overnight. It gets in the way. The lounge room is constantly covered in toys.

I'm actually contemplating extending the house, adding on an additional room, so I can have a gym. Bit of a lofty goal though, theres so many more important things to spend money on when it comes to the house atm.

My problem is space at home. I have a bike trainer that I use on the decking but I have to pack it away each time or at least cover it with a tarp overnight. It gets in the way. The lounge room is constantly covered in toys.

I'm actually contemplating extending the house, adding on an additional room, so I can have a gym. Bit of a lofty goal though, theres so many more important things to spend money on when it comes to the house atm.

Yeah I have to make room every time, move the coffee table, close all the windows so I can use the aircon, put my equipment together. It's still quicker than driving to the gym though, which I tell myself every day when I can't be arsed doing it.

Advertisement