IGNORED

WA - Covid SUPPORT Thread

Darryl

God. I hope some level if government steps up and builds a better quarantine system.

I think we’ve done really well but agree the system needs an overhaul with the pressure it’s now under. We’re dealing with a big spike of positive cases in quarantine.

@ImperatorFuriosa since you clearly aren’t a fan of McGowan, what are your thoughts on what we should do? I’m not nitpicking, I’m genuinely interested.

I hear anecdotally ppl want us to open up and just accept a big increase in cases. But I’m a) higher risk (chronic disease) and b) a health care worker so that idea scares the shit out of me.

You're not nitpicking you reckon? No, you're being passive aggressive and calling me out hoping to force my hand.

Nah just trying to have a conversation 🤷🏻‍♀️

I definitely think purpose built facilities would be better but I think they’ll struggle to staff them if they don’t put them in the metro area.

At the moment the hotels have several nurses on duty 24/7 and a GP 9-5. I’m not sure that people would be attracted to working in remote locations.

Evening all

Please remember this is a support thread. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

A couple of posts have been removed, please do not refer to the deleted posts

Thanks

JF

DaLittleEd

I definitely think purpose built facilities would be better but I think they’ll struggle to staff them if they don’t put them in the metro area.

At the moment the hotels have several nurses on duty 24/7 and a GP 9-5. I’m not sure that people would be attracted to working in remote locations.

There are options. Surely they could fit something near Jandakot (I think that's federal land) or the airport or similar. I agree it would need to be near the city for staffing and access to hospitals. I read somewhere that Howard Springs is about 20km from the centre of Darwin. I am sure most cities would have some area within 20-40km of town that could be used, but may require government to change the zoning etc (e.g. unused industrial areas, airports etc).

ImperatorFuriosa

I think we’ve done really well but agree the system needs an overhaul with the pressure it’s now under. We’re dealing with a big spike of positive cases in quarantine.

@ImperatorFuriosa since you clearly aren’t a fan of McGowan, what are your thoughts on what we should do? I’m not nitpicking, I’m genuinely interested.

I hear anecdotally ppl want us to open up and just accept a big increase in cases. But I’m a) higher risk (chronic disease) and b) a health care worker so that idea scares the shit out of me.

You're not nitpicking you reckon? No, you're being passive aggressive and calling me out hoping to force my hand.

Nah just trying to have a conversation 🤷🏻‍♀️

If you say so.

There are options. Surely they could fit something near Jandakot (I think that's federal land) or the airport or similar. I agree it would need to be near the city for staffing and access to hospitals. I read somewhere that Howard Springs is about 20km from the centre of Darwin. I am sure most cities would have some area within 20-40km of town that could be used, but may require government to change the zoning etc (e.g. unused industrial areas, airports etc).

I don't even think it needs to be in the city. Staff the damn thing on a FIFO rotation with quarantine periods for workers and compensate them accordingly. I'm thinking week on, two weeks off in a workers' quarantine facility where they have full access to gyms, fresh air, netflix/computers/etc, then a week at home. Pay well so people want to do it.

It's disgusting that they've contracted out HQ security to companies who love to pay their workers as little as possible. Covid spread/shutdowns etc cost a lot, so we should spend the money on an effective solution and stop using a bandaid. It's been too long, that thing is manky and rotten!

Bornagirl

I’m at Darwin airport after being here for a week. Part of that down at humpty doo, next door to HS and yes, about an hour and plenty living in the general area.

I just heard today though that prior to COVID there had been a great deal of angst within the community about the cost of maintaining and security for the empty site, and it’s only sheer good luck that that was still the case when COVID landed.

I should imagine it won’t be getting re-developed any time soon.

Victoria’s proposed site is mickleham- close enough in but far enough out.

Too close according to Mickleham residents. Apparently there is a swell of discontent since this announcement. I still like Avalon but it's not my call :P

Mickleham is a sensible location, near the airport and not too far from the city and hospitals etc. Residents are up in arms of course but that will be the CSA we wherever you do it if you go near the city, and it is where the animal quarantine facility is so they can’t be too surprised it’s considered an appropriate location.

Good luck today WA ❤️

Bornagirl

Too close according to Mickleham residents. Apparently there is a swell of discontent since this announcement. I still like Avalon but it's not my call :P

I suspect that would be the response anywhere. Howard springs is close to people in the community, although obviously the numbers are significantly different, I honestly don't see how someone half a k away is going to be affected.

I suspect that would be the response anywhere. Howard springs is close to people in the community, although obviously the numbers are significantly different, I honestly don't see how someone half a k away is going to be affected.

They’re particularly worried the workers will shop at the local shops. NIMBYism really, though I understand the concern I guess.

All the mining companies seem to manage to find cooks and cleaners to staff their facilities. They build them within a few months, and often with a runway large enough to accomodate BIG aircraft.

Quite honestly Gina Rinehart or Twiggy Forrest could probably get something built and fully staffed with a few months notice. Don't need to worry about proximity to capital cities - just have a flying doctor plane on standby for medical emergencies, and run everything else through an on site clinic.

PocketMacrophobia

Huge queues at my nearest testing centre today. I just happened to be driving past. Reassuring to see people getting tested.

Previously I've only seen one or no cars there.

Have you seen the looong list of exposure sites from the two Uber Eats drivers? Classed as low risk but it is an extremely long list! Mostly very Northern suburbs so not near me. Glad I don't have to think carefully about whether I was at a Chicken treat in a specific 15 minute window.

I do have to travel out of Perth for work this week so I will be wearing a mask while no one around me is. That should be interesting.

MagdaRegis

Have you seen the looong list of exposure sites from the two Uber Eats drivers? Classed as low risk but it is an extremely long list! Mostly very Northern suburbs so not near me. Glad I don't have to think carefully about whether I was at a Chicken treat in a specific 15 minute window.

I do have to travel out of Perth for work this week so I will be wearing a mask while no one around me is. That should be interesting.

I honestly never realised how hard UberEats drivers must work! I know there are two of them, but holy shit that's a long list!

• 1 month later...

I’ve been waiting for something to happen since the NSW cases started to get away from them. And when I saw that 250 workers came back from the NT mine site (is that number right? I haven’t followed it up today). 

DH was supposed to be going to the football today. He’s disappointed but accepting. I’m taking the kids to the shop for some clothes. Will need to remember my mask. 

• Like 1

I’m so mad at the NSW decision makers. And Scomo - who’s smug mouth is no doubt a huge reason why NSW is so slow to pull the trigger. Every other state errs on the side of caution (acknowledging that Vic did try a similar approach in some respects with local lockdowns - but they learned the lesson for all of us, and we should have all been listening to that!).

I know I’m not supposed to say that - but hopefully I’m allowed to feel my feelings in a support thread. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Waiting in queue for testing as I got a msg from WA health that I was at an exposure site (IKEA) at the same time. 

The queue is looped all the way around the hospital that it's going to be hours in the cold and rain 🙁

• Sad 5

Fruitmincepies
1 minute ago, TinyGiraffe said:

Waiting in queue for testing as I got a msg from WA health that I was at an exposure site (IKEA) at the same time. 

The queue is looped all the way around the hospital that it's going to be hours in the cold and rain 🙁

It was bad enough at kid’s sport this morning, and it wasn’t even raining yet. I hope it moves more quickly than you think it will. 

The drive through centres say you need a referral so just went to a hospital. 

For next time is that not correct? 

Advertisement