IGNORED

WA - Covid SUPPORT Thread

Darryl

Fruitmincepies

First day and DS started the day at 5.30am. It’s going to be a loooong day.

I had really been looking forward to school going back, so I could get stuck into getting our new house organised. Instead I’ll spend the week trying to keep the kids quiet enough for DH to work from home, and prevent them from trying to kill each other. I had just wanted some alone time! And it’s going to be so hot.

Good points - DH is happy to be working from home. The new house has more space for us to use, even if it not set up yet.

I'm a teacher and was supposed to be returning today. All last week I was stressing and preparing for going back, so now I feel a little strange. My son was supposed to start PP and was so looking forward to playing with the dinosaurs in his new classroom. Bummer.

Very curious to see how this week pans out. I so hope schools can open next week.

Man I’m stressed out even though I’m not in the area locked down. We haven’t heard anything about if people in our area should be quarantining and huge swathes of people have come back from Perth in the last week. There were questions posted all over the school FB pages asking if they had to isolate as they’d been in Perth during the time. 1 case in our regions and they will cut us off from the rest of the state again and require 2 weeks quarantine if we go to Perth. Which will only be allowed for essential stuff.

I’m on sick leave this week as I’m recovering from surgery. Was looking forward to having the house to myself this week to recuperate 😬

DH has gone to work this morning to sort out those who don’t have computers at home but will then spend the rest of the week working from home.

My boys are happy to be home but DD9 was looking forward to going back to school.

Captain Tightpants

I work at a school so had to work all through last years iso. This week, I am home. I am spending the day today sewing face masks for all my close friends as none of us were prepared for that!

As soon as the 5 day lockdown was announced, I took my daughters grocery shopping and bought our weekly shop. It was very heartening to see that there was no stockpiling and 99.9% of people were kind and polite.

My husband will be working from home, this time his office is in an open plan room, rather than a bedroom with a door. Hopefully the rest of us can keep the noise down so that he doesn't get distracted all the time :)

Fruitmincepies

Nerdy - the shops were crazy yesterday! I had planned to do a big shop for the week as we were out of everything, but ended up just getting enough milk and veg to get us through last night, as there were no trolleys left. So ridiculous considering that grocery shopping is a legitimate reason for leaving the house.

We had done our first online grocery order to collect on Saturday and DH was there picking it up when McGowan made the announcement. Crazy fortunate timing!

Captain Tightpants

The shops were crazy! The poor Coles workers did not know what hit them.

Society does go a bit crazy when lockdown is announced.... shops will be open but with "everybody else" shopping before lockdown there is a sense of FOMO if I didn't go too. And with a large family, we don't have a lot of stock already in the pantry as there is no room!

Now, I am happy to stay in for the 5 days and only venture out if I need bread....

Fruitmincepies

I was very glad I had two loaves in the freezer as there was no bread in coles or in bakers delight. Bread is essential as DS doesn’t eat much else...

I need to go have a shower and get dressed, I think staying in my PJs will not be good for me. I might then set up some water play for DS in the shade. DD will probably join in.

I have a cold, which I know is just a cold, but still. I dutifully lined up with seemingly the rest of the state yesterday to get probed. Got my negative result this morning! I was surprised by how efficient it was.

Guest BusbyWilkes

I have older kids. They’d checked their timetable yesterday and were stoked with teachers/friends in class, and within the hour, the announcement was made. School said to expect online learning this week as they can’t afford to miss a week and still cover the required curriculum.

[mention]BusbyWilkes[/mention] that’s interesting. My 3 all go to different schools and each school has advised that this week is an extension of the school holidays.

PocketMacrophobia

I feel like I've been refreshing every five minutes to see if the site was back up and if there was a WA group ☺️

Thinking of you all. Hoping you're all doing ok.

Most of the businesses I follow in the lock down area seem to have been prepared to flip back to lockdown mode and are set to go takeaway and remote again from last night which I'm glad to see.

Its a bit surreal not being in WA this time. Feeling proud and weirdly homesick.

Shops were pretty crazy here - I was at the supermarket as the announcement was made and it went from a normal Sunday to completely crowded. We got out just before the lines got too long - I still needed to grab a few things but DH suggested we find a check-out first. We can always go back during the week.

DH is an essential worker, the kids study at home and I'm not back at uni until late Feb so it's all pretty normal for us except for needing masks. Lucky I got some a couple of weeks ago.

The timing is shocking for McGowan, with the election coming up. Let's just hope we knock this on its head and it's all under control by the end of the week.

Guest BusbyWilkes

@BusbyWilkes that’s interesting. My 3 all go to different schools and each school has advised that this week is an extension of the school holidays.

The premier’s announcement was definitely an extra week as “holidays”. The school acknowledged this. What years are your kids in? I don’t believe they will be doing online

“classes”, more that they will be given work to complete. Many private schools started (mid) last week, so I don’t think it will be “holidays” for those students in upper school years either.

Mine are year 5, 9 & 12 but the year 12 goes to an Education Support Centre so won’t be an issue like it would be if he was mainstream and doing ATAR.

DH and I were set to go to the movies for the first time without the kids in ages when we saw the announcement so that got canned. I then realised I left my laptop charger at work so had to race in to get it. I will be expected to work from home this week despite having an 8 and 6 year old at home. We were set for 2 days of planning meetings this week so I expect those will move to Teams. Don’t know that my kids will stay engaged with other things for that long. Sigh!

Captain Tightpants

My kids school has the Year 11 and 12s doing distance learning from Wednesday. Going to challenging to get my Year 12 General kid to study!

I had planned to spend the day sewing about 70 cloth masks..... was just finishing my morning cuppa and the bloody power went out :(

We are up at my mum's house thankfully. If I'm stuck at home, working, with a partner still going into work with 3 kids, I want the pool and 10acres! Oh and the 5 bedroom house!😂😂😂 And study big enough for all of us.

DS2 was so excited to go to Kindy, but that will have to wait. Hopefully this only lasts a week and he can start next week. DS1 is in year 2 this year so was happy to have an extra week of holidays.

I was excited for the school holidays to be over 😁 DH is working from home so I will need to keep them busy to keep the noise down. It was a big shock and is a big wake up call for us. Ten months of no community spread gave us a false sense of security.

Fruitmincepies

No cases today!

There were a lot of rumours going around of 30 cases, and I’m so mad that people were spreading rumours and panicking people.

Advertisement