IGNORED

*Spin off* how do you think people have handled the pandemic

MintyBiscuit

Reading the government handling thread over the last few days has me reflecting on the vast differences at what has been reported in the media at times vs what we’re actually seeing living our lives in a pandemic. So, how have you found the people around you during the pandemic?

For myself, living in a relatively middle class area in the south western suburbs of Sydney, I’ve seen most people doing the right thing most of the time. There have been standouts in terms of ignoring social distancing or mask wearing, or just not taking things seriously (I’m looking at you certain school parents), but I think they stand out because they’ve been the exception rather than the rule. Since venturing back to the theatre, again I’ve seen most people do the right thing in regards to mask wearing. DH and his colleagues have been hyper cautious in terms of staying home and getting tested at the slightest sign of a possible covid symptom, and my friends and family have been the same. I’ve had to mute and unfollow a few people on Facebook because they were spreading misinformation and not correcting it when it was pointed out. But again, they’ve been the exception rather than the rule.

So given how different the experiences have been state by state, I’m curious to see what others have found

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zeldazonk

• STBG 2

• Rosie28

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

I find there is different demographics that completely ignore social distancing, mask wearing, personal hygiene and they are the ones that also sprout the whole 'I have rights' speech. It is frustrating and unfair when as a whole people are trying to prevent infection.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I find there is different demographics that completely ignore social distancing, mask wearing, personal hygiene and they are the ones that also sprout the whole 'I have rights' speech. It is frustrating and unfair when as a whole people are trying to prevent infection.

agree.

It's definitely been polarising. I've seen it bring out mental health problems in people I didn't know/wouldn't have guessed were unwell - like people I thought were just hippies are all of a sudden full Pete Evans, talking about the great re-set and the Bill Gates microchip thing as if it's all real. I've also seen a lot more selfishness than I ever knew there was in my little world. A lot of "protect the vulnerable" meaning lock up the oldies and throw away the key, just because people are sick of their kids being home and their shops being closed.

For me, I've realised I don't roll with the punches as well as I thought I did. I have really struggled to cope with the uncertainty, and I didn't think I was like that. I know now that I prefer routine and predictability.

I think by and large people have coped really well. Great community spirit around me and lots of people lending a hand where needed.

But I’ve been seriously disturbed at the number of deniers and the people who have no idea how our government works. It’s really brought out the extreme element and highlighted some serious gaps in knowledge. Then there’s the “protect the vulnerable” sort, who really mean “lock up the vulnerable so my lifestyle isn’t impacted”. Anti-Vaxxers and crazy conspiracy theorists are far more common than I’d thought.

I do wonder why people need the government to do their thinking for them, do you really need to have 250 at a wedding since covid? if a pub is packed do you really think it is a good idea to keep on going in? if you wear a mask to protect yourself and other people does leaving it all over the ground mean you can still catch it? why dispose of it properly?

I do wonder why people need the government to do their thinking for them, do you really need to have 250 at a wedding since covid? if a pub is packed do you really think it is a good idea to keep on going in? if you wear a mask to protect yourself and other people does leaving it all over the ground mean you can still catch it? why dispose of it properly?

I don’t think it’s just for the people. It’s making venues be responsible too... I mean they don’t want to operate at half capacity because they make no money, so they would keep packing people in.

Common sense isn’t that common.

I've seen some people at work really stand out as 'leaders' that I would not have anticipated and others need to take a step back. A few have communicated that openly and received very support too in ways I would not have anticipated.

I've built new relationships at work with people I barely spoke to over past few years over home schooling bonding etc

Generally I've been pretty pleasantly surprised. Yes I've deleted a few people on socials and seen some angry non- mask people arguing at shops but within my bubble, we're doing ok

The deniers, the anti Dan, anti vaccine and COVID is fake brigade among my VIC FB 'friends' are people who have no understanding or appreciation of science.

They argue with experts, it blows my mind. I find this as hard to cope with as the virus itself.

The deniers, the anti Dan, anti vaccine and COVID is fake brigade among my VIC FB 'friends' are people who have no understanding or appreciation of science.

They argue with experts, it blows my mind. I find this as hard to cope with as the virus itself.

Yeah so do I. Covid will go away eventually, but the knowledge of how much crazy and stupid there is out there will never leave me.

Most of the people I know who are annoyed at Daniel Andrews and his Govt aren't anti-vax or consipiracy theorists (I know only a handleful of those which is more than enough!). It also seems that the men I know are the ones who are the most angry.

The people I know in Victoria are all really compliant with the restrictions (masks on, staying within their radius etc). And all doing what they can to make the most of things. Having said that, by the end of lockdown #2 covid fatigue definitely had crept in and people were so tired and over it. Generally my friends and family re-emerged from lockdown slowly - both because they were aware of the risks and also because doing stuff again was exhausting! By the end of Jan people seemed ready to start living with more normalcy (which sadly didn't last long).

Many people I know are anxious now about how long we will really be in lockdown and what will happen with schools/daycare. I think 6 months of WFH and homeschool last year was more than enough! And people are worried about the ongoing impact on our kids education.

Also, I am lucky that I don't know anyone at all in real life who has argued against any of the lockdowns. There has been the usual debate about what has caused outbreaks and who is to blame, but everyone I know wants to defeat the virus. I don't know a single person who thinks we should let rip/hide the vulnerable etc. And to be honest I couldn't imagine myself being friends with anyone who was so lacking in sense or compassion anyway.

Agree with pp's. Most people have handled it well, however the exposure of the underlying epidemic of stupid/ignorant has frightened me. I am not sure how the ignorance has proliferated so much - my guess is social media and so called citizen journalists. The exposure of the inane reporters has also disappointed me, our media overall seems very distracted by shiny things and gotcha moments. The lack of accountability in our elected officials is also enlightening but when you have a media intent on 30 seconds grabs it is explainable. I fear thatwe are twisting our way down into inane stupidity where how things look or sound are more valuable than substance, achievement and ethics.

Almost everyone I know close to me is compliant and trusting of the government, even to my surprise some of my long standing anti vaxxer friends. One even made a whole lot of masks to hand out. I know of acquaintances however who think it’s all a hoax but they grudgingly go along with the restrictions as their lives have been relatively normal in NSW since the first wave.

I have distanced myself from my anti vaxxer sister because she tried to talk our 85 year old mother out of getting the vaccine. I feel really angry with her. Thankfully mum didn’t listen.

I don’t know anyone with mental health difficulties currently asa result of the pandemic.. During the first wave I saw a lot of circles around my colleagues eyes and people collectively said they weren’t sleeping. But since then, we’ve got used to the new normal. The subsequent outbreaks aren’t nearly as stressful as the first wave when we thought we were facing Italy proportions.

So, how have you found the people around you during the pandemic?

A lot of the people in my social circles are highly privileged and they have been on the Dictator Dan/Comrade Anna bandwagon. I know people who attended some of those early super spreading events after their ski holidays. They think this is all an over reaction for a ‘flu’. They don’t recognise their own privilege, even now.

I am also related to and, know many medicos. I worried for their health when it didn’t seem like the government gave two hoots about them. They worry about my child who can not have certain vaccines and is susceptible to many infections. I have spent more hours than I want to count in hospital and this past year has added another level of stress.

I am also involved in organisations that help the homeless and disenfranchised. It was heartwarming at the start of last year to see so much willingness to help but then as the covid situation was managed in Australia, people and governments chose to turn to other matters instead of sticking with successful but slow long term programs. They are again forgotten.

The average middle class Australians that I’m friends with are the ones who seem most likely to abide by rules and restrictions.

The friends who are recent arrivals in Australia (say, last 10yrs), think Australia is pretty amazing and are happy to follow the rules too. Some of them laugh at what we call lockdowns in Qld because it is nothing like the lockdowns in their home countries, and can’t believe people complain.

I know many hippy anti vaxxers and I find it ironic that they are keen for the covid vaccine so that they can travel again. They’ve spent the year busy making bone broth (or buying overpriced commercial stuff) and forcing kids to drink apple cider vinegar and ginger.

So, basically everyone has behaved as they normally would and have only changed their behaviour when it has been mandated by government.

I think most people have been tolerant and compliant. I’ve noticed Melbourne people are slowly losing patience for lock down, which I really sympathise with. However, there is still that bunch of idiots who go on like pork chops because they have to wear a mask or something when that’s really the least of anyone’s worries.

Most of the people I know who are annoyed at Daniel Andrews and his Govt aren't anti-vax or consipiracy theorists (I know only a handleful of those which is more than enough!). It also seems that the men I know are the ones who are the most angry.

The people I know in Victoria are all really compliant with the restrictions (masks on, staying within their radius etc). And all doing what they can to make the most of things. Having said that, by the end of lockdown #2 covid fatigue definitely had crept in and people were so tired and over it. Generally my friends and family re-emerged from lockdown slowly - both because they were aware of the risks and also because doing stuff again was exhausting! By the end of Jan people seemed ready to start living with more normalcy (which sadly didn't last long).

Many people I know are anxious now about how long we will really be in lockdown and what will happen with schools/daycare. I think 6 months of WFH and homeschool last year was more than enough! And people are worried about the ongoing impact on our kids education.

I am sure most Victorians have COVID fatigue, most I know are dreading the thought of an extended lockdown however they understand why and trust our health department to advise DA on the correct strategies and will do what they need to do to see this through despite the exhaustion and the depression. Most I know actually never really relaxed after our lockdown finished, every day came with a ' hope it's not today' feeling. and here we are.

I am sick and tired of people for whom science is a mystery having the run of MSM sites and whipping up the most ridiculous narrative which is eaten up by morons as fact.

acidulous osprey

Pretty good around here in Logan. In our last lockdown, I saw a family group with one person without a mask and they were giving him arseholes about it.

My social media is bubbles of likeminded people because I can't deal with the stupid. Like the flamboyantly gay guy who is into Qanon and Trump. I mean really?

Most people I know have handled things fine. Mostly blue collar workers who still go to work, still doing their shopping once a week and have a drink with friends and family on the weekend. The pandemic and lockdowns have only had minor impact on their lives.

I have not done so well. My mental health is fragile and Ive lost my tolerance for pretty much anything. Ive struggled with suicidal thoughts and depression. Ive come to realise no one can be trusted and most people I know are selfish and fair weathered. Ive pretty much cut out most people from my life. I dont know how long I will be able to handle the current lockdown, especially if it stretches on longer than the 5 days.

I know personally the anxiety I have felt has been on par with when I had PND and coupled with insominia I was a complete mess. Even through November and December I never relaxed. I still checkd the numbers every day, restricted our movements and the Black Rock cluster just confirmed my fears and broke me again. But this time I have managed to hold myself together a lot better and lock down kind of feels like " home".

I know some of my fears about lockdown last year didn't come true ( I was very fearful of lack of food being available, especially after the empty shelves of the first 6 weeks), but in the end we had what we needed, just found in alternative places, so that's one worry I have crossed off as untrue.

Some of my friends have had tough times ( lost a parent, multiple Covid scares) but we have been compliant and solidered on. However I seem to be the only one in my circle of freinds that has had MH issues from this.

I've been disappointed that the people who I thought would do isolation brilliantly haven't. Looking pointedly at the large group of gamers who normally need to be dragged kicking and screaming from their computers in darkened rooms who suddenly developed massive social lives and had to go out every day just because someone told them they weren't allowed to.

Most people have been good. But gosh it's made me realise how many people have no idea what life is like for many many people out there all the time.

Advertisement