IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

SmilingGirl

I still have concerns about anaphylactic reactions. I know the rate of them is low but as someone like myself who is anaphylactic to multiple things, the thought of having the vaccine is very scary. I will have it but I cannot help the fear

I still have concerns about anaphylactic reactions. I know the rate of them is low but as someone like myself who is anaphylactic to multiple things, the thought of having the vaccine is very scary. I will have it but I cannot help the fear

At least in Australia we have the advantage of all of the information that will be coming out from the something like 250 million people who've already been vaccinated.

I should imagine allergy experts are looking very closely at the data, and there may well be one that's more preferable for people like you.

If you have a history of anaphylaxis you will only be able to get your vaccine in a hospital situation with the staff prepared to deal with what may occur.

DD says people have been monitored very closely for respirations/BP/pulse and oxygen levels for those who present with any past history.

Good luck.

Kiwi Bicycle

A nurse in Queensland just had an anaphylaxis reaction ( she was known for it), so yes, it is possible.

Got to love Italy blocking a shipment of AZ to us. Lots of political games happening .

SmilingGirl

If you have a history of anaphylaxis you will only be able to get your vaccine in a hospital situation with the staff prepared to deal with what may occur.

DD says people have been monitored very closely for respirations/BP/pulse and oxygen levels for those who present with any past history.

Good luck.

Thank you. That makes me feel much better that it will be in a hospital. I wonder what the process will be for making those appointments?

A nurse in Queensland just had an anaphylaxis reaction ( she was known for it), so yes, it is possible.

Got to love Italy blocking a shipment of AZ to us. Lots of political games happening .

I was listening to this reported on triple j earlier. They were talking about the fact that AZ has only delivered around 40% of the promised number of vaccines to parts of the EU. If that’s the case, we have manufacturing capability and we dont have a lot of cases, it doesn’t seem so bad to block the shipment

Kiwi Bicycle

I was listening to this reported on triple j earlier. They were talking about the fact that AZ has only delivered around 40% of the promised number of vaccines to parts of the EU. If that’s the case, we have manufacturing capability and we dont have a lot of cases, it doesn’t seem so bad to block the shipment

Oh no I am not upset, we can afford to wait. But if it's us today, who could it be the next?

Good luck.

Thank you. That makes me feel much better that it will be in a hospital. I wonder what the process will be for making those appointments?

I suspect it will be organised by your GP who knows your history.

I am not surprised shipments have been blocked by Europe. I think we need to face the fact that people will be looking at us and thinking we can go to the bottom of the list in prioritising.

We will probably be quite self sufficient within a few months and that is such a relief.

Yes I am not surprised the EU has blocked the shipment either. I hope their population take up the vaccines though.

My brother is getting his AZ vaccine in Germany and then going back to UK which is actually starting to look more attractive from a European perspective.

He says in France there is a 6 pm curfew!

purplekitty

How did Julia gillard get a vaccination?

Bipartisan PR effort to counter vaccine skepticism and encourage women to be vaccinated.

Apparently Tas are starting phase 1b on 19 Mar. That's so quick! GPs will start getting it a few days later (AZ vax).

And I think I'm actually in 1b, as I think they are including everyone who works in the healthcare industry.

You can use this to check what phase you are in

https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility

These are the underlying medical conditions that will bump you up the list too (taken from the checker above):

organ transplant recipients who are on immune suppressive therapy

people who have had a bone marrow transplant in the last 24 months

people on immune suppressive therapy for graft versus host disease

people who have haematological cancers, for example, leukaemia, lymphoma or myelodysplastic syndrome, diagnosed within the last 5 years

people having chemotherapy or radiotherapy

people with chronic renal (kidney) failure

people with heart disease such as coronary heart disease or failure

people with chronic lung disease, excluding mild or moderate asthma

people who have a non-haematological cancer, diagnosed in the last 12 months

people who have diabetes

people with severe obesity, with a Body Mass Index of 40 or over

people with chronic liver disease

people with some neurological conditions including stroke and dementia

people with some chronic inflammatory conditions and treatments

people with other primary or acquired immunodeficiency, including HIV

people with poorly controlled blood pressure

lol. I'm also in 1b because I'm fat!

DH is a frontline port worker, though not in Sydney. He has completed consent paperwork and is expecting it within the next 2-3 weeks I think?

Apparently Tas are starting phase 1b on 19 Mar. That's so quick! GPs will start getting it a few days later (AZ vax).

And I think I'm actually in 1b, as I think they are including everyone who works in the healthcare industry.

These are the underlying medical conditions that will bump you up the list too (taken from the checker above):

people who have haematological cancers, for example, leukaemia, lymphoma or myelodysplastic syndrome, diagnosed within the last 5 years

people who have diabetes

My organ transplant recipient relative in Tas, on immune suppression, has been told May.

people who have diabetes

It seems like most of australia are in 1b!!

people who have diabetes

It seems like most of australia are in 1b!!

If you add in everyone over 70, that's a lot of people.

No wonder my SIL has been told May.

After 20 years of poorly controlled blood pressure I'm delighted that I've not been in that group for nearly 15 years now.

I’m getting mine end of March. I’m in WA and work in admin in a hospital. Booked in for the AZ one but DH said he thought the Pfizer one was more effective? Anyone know?

I’m getting mine end of March. I’m in WA and work in admin in a hospital. Booked in for the AZ one but DH said he thought the Pfizer one was more effective? Anyone know?

I've read a bit lately that real world evidence shows AZ is performing equally and even better.

"One shot of the Pfizer option was 85 per cent effective at preventing hospitalisation at 28-34 days post-vaccination, whereas one shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine was 94 per cent effective at preventing hospitalisation in the same interval."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/13202050

Real-world data out of the UK suggests Pfizer and AZ are just as good as each other in reducing serious illness, and also seem to be reducing transmission above and beyond the lockdown effect.

They’re all good vaccines!

I did not know this was permissible. How is she going to access her second dose ?

I thought each dose was attributed to a particular person and was labelled to be cross checked with Medicare numbers of people to be vaccinated in that facility.

edited as I do not want to sound like Debbie Downer because I am all for as many vaccinations being given out as possible but I don't think it will work if they give it randomly to people. I see too many mix ups.

Presumably the dose was noted against her Medicare record. Most people carry their Medicare cards with them.. They will have a system in place to then schedule the second dose.

I have heard of this and it’s a strategy. Apparently if people do not show up for the vaccination appointments they will try and slot others who make themselves available at short notice so as not to waste the vaccine.

Fair enough but how do you ensure that you are able to access the second vaccine in the right time frame ?

Anyone I know of in the USA has had no issue with getting the second, even if their first was an accidentally brought forward. That's only a handful of people, but enough to know that some sort of system must be in place to ensure the second shot is timely.

Julie3Girls

It’s great they are able to collect so much data, and that countries are sharing it. Fantastic to hear it is reducing transmission so much.

Australia is in a fairly unique situation (along with NZ) in that we won’t be able to able to provide really helpful information - with no cases in the community, the ideal result for us is pretty much what we have now - no cases,

It’s great they are able to collect so much data, and that countries are sharing it. Fantastic to hear it is reducing transmission so much.

Australia is in a fairly unique situation (along with NZ) in that we won’t be able to able to provide really helpful information - with no cases in the community, the ideal result for us is pretty much what we have now - no cases,

The good news is that actually we can contribute information. There are ongoing projects happening in Australia collecting samples from those who have been vaccinated - to assess their immune responses over time and such.

We can check a person’s antibodies against different strains in the lab, for example. Without a person needing to be exposed to the virus ‘in the wild’ (or at all).

Julie3Girls

The good news is that actually we can contribute information. There are ongoing projects happening in Australia collecting samples from those who have been vaccinated - to assess their immune responses over time and such.

We can check a person’s antibodies against different strains in the lab, for example. Without a person needing to be exposed to the virus ‘in the wild’ (or at all).

That’s great to hear.

There is a global response called ISARIC (International Severe Acute Respiratory and emerging Infection Consortium) which provides a platform for collaboration for serious emerging illnesses - like COVID-19.

It was developed after the 2009 influenza pandemic, I believe. To give researchers a platform of protocols, tools and so on to enable rapid effective research and responses.

https://isaric.tghn.org/

Lots of Australian researchers and clinicians are linked in to this consortium.

Advertisement