• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• squeekums-the-elf

• Mooguru

• Okelydokely

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t but some of my husband’s family (from eastern suburbs Melbourne) have. And all of his family in England and Scotland have had it. Luckily everyone has recovered well.

Spidey_Senses

No but I know people in the UK and Italy who have. I would be interested to hear what it was like for an Aussie who had it.

ImperatorFuriosa

No but I know people in the UK and Italy who have. I would be interested to hear what it was like for an Aussie who had it.

Me too. What I think is a cold with incessant coughing led me to go get test today and I'm bored and wondering if anyone on here has it.

3 of my inlaws have had it overseas. 1 died, one had no symptoms the other said they have had worse colds and flus. They all lived together.

A friend of mine in Sydney was one of the rare unlucky people to get it. She is 52. She said it was much worse than flu and quite frightening. She wasn't hospitalised but came close due to difficulty catching her breath.

My cousin in South Africa had it late last year. He’s still struggling to recover. He said he’s never been so sick in his life though he didn’t need a ventilator or similar. But was constantly struggling to catch his breath and so exhausted with migraine level headaches.

My daughter's friend's 4 year old son had it. Shut down his pre school. About 6 of another DD'S workmates had it in a hospital outbreak ( all young women and men ).

I think if we were asked the same question if we lived in the UK or the USA the answer would reveal most families will have been impacted in some way.

I feel so lucky.

squeekums-the-elf

Nope and don't know anyone who has

Dp swears the cold he had upon returning from Melbourne in late 2019 was possibly it but I doubt it. Try a bad cold with side of man flu

Me and dd didnt get it and with what we know, by rights it should have gone around dd school, our town of 1000, many elderly at that, the in-laws.

A Facebook health group I'm part of is worldwide, so mostly from the US, then UK and the number who've had it is staggering. Same responses as pps, some had no symptoms, some said like a typical cold or flu, others said they've never been so sick in their lives. Given some of these people are panhypopituitary, it was a pretty scary time for them.

My aunty and uncle here in Melbourne (northern suburbs) had it last year

Adding that my colleague's dad died of it in India and my other colleague's step father died of it in the UK

ineedmorecoffee

I know three people in Sydney who’ve had it, extended family members.

First one caught it over a year ago working for an airline at the domestic terminal. Passed it onto partner at home and their sibling who they caught up with before being diagnosed.

They lost sense of taste and smell and went through all the highs and lows, at home sick for weeks. Partner had no symptoms and wouldn’t have known it without the positive test result.

The sibling went through all the symptoms and had lingering side effects of dizziness and no energy for a while and took about two months to feel normal again.

Winter frost

No. I know no one who has had it. Here or overseas. It is quite surreal. The disruption without the vision of the disease (not that I begrudge the disruption)

Inkogneatoh

Dp swears the cold he had upon returning from Melbourne in late 2019 was possibly it but I doubt it. Try a bad cold with side of man flu

Me and dd didnt get it and with what we know, by rights it should have gone around dd school, our town of 1000, many elderly at that, the in-laws.

Same. Caught a really bad bug back in early January 2020. My SIL was sick at he same time (blames sitting in emergency with my brother and his sore neck), and neither of us can remember ever being so sick. I've definitely never had such high temps that lasted so long before, and was totally exhausted for weeks (spent a couple of days with 18 to 20 hours of sleep). I also vividly remember the interviews with the whistle blower from his hospital bed when I went back to the doctor after a dose of antibiotics, so the timing wasn't right, and it was weeks before the recommendation to self isolate if you where returning from China. Took me months to mostly recover, and I still have the post viral asthma diagnosis.

I don't know anyone who has had covid, and only know one person who has had the vaccine (1st dose of AZ vaccine - works in the local hospital admin).

Early in 2020 I had a viral infection that was identical in nature to one I'd had the year before - slightly sore throat to start followed by a productive cough on waking and incessant dry cough for the 23.5 hours of the day. Went on for weeks (at least 6 that I remember), No covid testing was available back then, but doubt it was covid - just another respiratory virus going around.

I work with someone who has had had it. She got it overseas and was diagnosed after she arrived back here. She said she felt tired and put it down to jet lag. She didn't feel ill and was surprised at the positive result. She only got tested because it was recommended (she was one of the earlier cases prior to quarantines, compulsory testing etc).

My sister's husband's family all live in the UK. Some have had it, others haven't. His BIL got very very ill and sick for over a month. His wife (my sister's DH's sister) and the kids had much milder symptoms.

A lady I work with's cousin had it (also in the UK). He was diagnosed one day and dead a couple of days later. Scary stuff.

Edited by Feebi

PurplePaperFrog

Two different colleagues each lost a parent.

One friend had very mild symptoms

One friend had sever symptoms

I don't live in Aus though. You truly have been very lucky there and in NZ.

Same. Caught a really bad bug back in early January 2020. My SIL was sick at he same time (blames sitting in emergency with my brother and his sore neck), and neither of us can remember ever being so sick. I've definitely never had such high temps that lasted so long before, and was totally exhausted for weeks (spent a couple of days with 18 to 20 hours of sleep). I also vividly remember the interviews with the whistle blower from his hospital bed when I went back to the doctor after a dose of antibiotics, so the timing wasn't right, and it was weeks before the recommendation to self isolate if you where returning from China. Took me months to mostly recover, and I still have the post viral asthma diagnosis.

A friend of mine had something that really knocked her around in Jan 2020 too. She was so ill, it took her 2 months to be back to mostly normal and even now asthma is bothering her.

I also forgot my mum’s closest friend lost her dad to Covid, he was in a nursing home in Melbourne.

A family member had it (in rural Victoria), she had it very badly, but did not require hospitalisation. No-one else in her household caught it, but work colleagues did (that's where she go it). She is still having health issues 8 months later.

A friend's dad died from it overseas, he was in his 80s.

My SIL had it. She wasn’t particularly unwell but had a couple of unpleasant days. DH’s elderly uncle died from it. Friends of ours probably had it but it was this time last year when it was really difficult to get tested. All the above are in the UK. Here in Sydney the closest case was a student at DD’s school. She has a sibling in DD’s grade who didn’t contract it. Nor did their mother. The father got it at work I believe (HCW).

A neighbourhood child had it, extremely unlucky circumstances.

Several workmates o/s have had it, including one who lost both parents to it.

Advertisement