IGNORED

Ear candles at the pharmacy?

Darryl

Recently I was waiting for my son's prescription to be filled and noticed that they had ear candles for sale. Apparently this isn't uncommon.

Do you think they should be sold at a pharmacy?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LunaFreya

• purplekitty

• Ozgirl

• STBG 2

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen them there, but what are they and what are their purpose?

Allegedly they clear ear wax.

Allegedly.

I tried them 20 odd years ago, they didn’t work and I later discovered that they can be rather dangerous. I would be giving any pharmacy that sold the.m a sketchy side eye....

Pharmacies are full of stuff that doesn’t work! Don’t know why you’re singling out ear candles?

Because they also can be dangerous and cause heating loss?

Pharmacies are full of stuff that doesn’t work! Don’t know why you’re singling out ear candles?

Other stuff like Bach Rescue Remedy drops shouldn't be sold in pharmacies. Homeopathic woo and a waste of money unless you're fine with the placebo effect.

Fruitmincepies

Other stuff like Bach Rescue Remedy drops shouldn't be sold in pharmacies. Homeopathic woo and a waste of money unless you're fine with the placebo effect.

I was buying something for DD when she was a baby, I was asked (by an assistant) if I’d like something more ‘natural’. I rather shocked her when I said I preferred the drugs that were proven to work thanks.

I remember an old EB thread where someone talked about using them for their toddler's ear infection. Imagine a toddler, in horrible pain from a middle ear infection, with a lit candle in their ear... just horrifying.

No, I don't think pharmacies should sell them, or the colloidal silver I've seen at others. Rescue remedy etc I put in the 'placebo but not dangerous' category so I figure as long as they're not purporting to actually work, they're not as bad as something that's actively dangerous when used as directed.

There was a lot of chatting on EB 15 years ago about how amazng they are. Exh wanted me to use one on his ear. I nearly burnt his ear lobe off but apart from that it did nothing.

Edited by Feebi

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Loads of things that don't work which are sold at pharmacies. Ear candles are just one of hundreds. Pharmacies have always been places of "miracle cures" as well things that actually work.

Definitely shouldn’t be sold at a pharmacy, and nor should many other things. We have a local pharmacy that sells a few vitamins but absolutely no woo- once I found them I’ve tried to be a loyal customer. It’s a smallish store and looks empty compared to other pharmacies!

Pharmacies around here seem to be moving to the the old Drug Store model we've seen overseas that sells anything from soap powder, stuffed toys. jewellery, food stuff and of course medication.

There is an entire section of woo at the one we go to. It is disturbing to me but I am struggling to find a place that is strictly pharmaceutical, medical and non woo personal care items. I admit to not being too upset that I have managed to buy some last minute toys for grand children for Christmas last year though.

GenericBeverage

Pharmacies around here seem to be moving to the the old Drug Store model we've seen overseas that sells anything from soap powder, stuffed toys. jewellery, food stuff and of course medication.

There is an entire section of woo at the one we go to. It is disturbing to me but I am struggling to find a place that is strictly pharmaceutical, medical and non woo personal care items. I admit to not being too upset that I have managed to buy some last minute toys for grand children for Christmas last year though.

Yep. My DD works at a pharmacy (large national chain) and I'm frequently surprised by what she tells me they sell. Anything from ear candles and other woo items to UNO cards and umbrellas.

Advertisement