IGNORED

The most trustworthy professions

Darryl

In Australia, Doctors are the most trustworthy profession (69%), followed by a group of four different professions: Scientists (62%), Teachers (60%), Armed Forces (58%), and the Police (56%). The professions most likely to be considered untrustworthy were politicians (64%), Government ministers (55%), Advertising executives (55%), Bankers (52%) and Clergy/Priests (42%).

Australia is one of only nine countries that had a positive score on the Global Trustworthiness Index. The Index looks at the net trust score (the difference between the proportion considering a profession trustworthy and the proportion considering a profession untrustworthy). A positive index score means most of the professions listed have net positive scores – so more people consider them to be trustworthy rather than untrustworthy.

Australia

australia.png

Global

global.png

https://www.ipsos.com/en-au/its-fact-scientists-are-most-trusted-people-world

Do you think that you generally agree with these findings?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pelagic

• Rosie28

• Darryl

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that you generally agree with these findings?

I don't know but where are the nurses? We don't even rate a mention.

I wonder if they are included with doctors, or maybe the option wasn't presented?

I do remember reading that nursing is consistently rated as one of the most trustworthy professions in Australia.

I don't agree with doctors, scientists or teachers. I'm also surprised lawyers aren't in the low trust area.

But I don't know there are any professions I'd find that trustworthy. Maybe people who are not trying to sell anything?

Why don't I agree (for those who continually demand justification). I have had a lot of bad experiences with doctors. Like, a lot. Scientists often have to structure their work around attracting or keeping funding. Teachers...I know a lot of people here are teachers, but during the education of my stepkids I just met too many who were not all that. Some of them I'd wonder how they even qualified.

Again though, I don't think there are that many professions I'd find trustworthy. Individuals within them, sure, but as a whole, no.

I'm a bit surprised by the results. I wonder if the options were limited to those in the results so doctors covers all medical practitioners? Because I'd expect Ambos to be higher up given they've been fairly consistently considered one of the most trusted professions.

Hills Mum Bec

That seems to be quite a selective list. Everybody bangs on about used car sales people & real estate agents and they didn't even get a mention for untrustworthiness.

A strange list, so many professional missing. I always think lawyers should be further up, but most people never actually have anything to do with lawyers so I can understand why they revert to the stereotype. John Grisham did us no favours. The knots we tie ourselves into making sure we have no conflicts, and adhere to an increasing list of ethical requirements makes the lawyers I work with among the most trustworthy people I know.

[mention]Rosie28[/mention] I think most people don't see that side of many lawyers.

I used to deal with quite a few lawyers who seemed to be praying on vulnerable people for money. But to others they probably appeared like angels sent to fight for the underdog. They've certainly clouded my judgement.

@Rosie28 I think most people don't see that side of many lawyers.

I used to deal with quite a few lawyers who seemed to be praying on vulnerable people for money. But to others they probably appeared like angels sent to fight for the underdog. They've certainly clouded my judgement.

Yes I imagine that's it. Most lawyers aren't working with individuals though, they're in big firms, the government, big companies. The average person never meets the average lawyer in the course of their work! We're a bit invisible :)

Alta Gaudia

I don't think profession is really any indication of trustworthiness. There are people of integrity in every profession, and totally untrustworthy people in every profession.

I think it probably also depends on the quality of trust being asked for, too. I have a pretty high level of distrust that, for example, a GP is going to get diagnosis of and care for complex mental health issues right, and since that's been part of my experience, and because I therefore don't feel particularly safe to just take on board what they say, I don't really "trust" them as such. But that doesn't mean they're not doing their best given the situation.

Not long ago I read a similar list, might have been in the Sydney Morning Herald. The most trusted professions were Ambulance Officers (Paramedics) and Nurses which I think is likely to be true.

Where did the attached list above come from?

purplekitty

Not long ago I read a similar list, might have been in the Sydney Morning Herald. The most trusted professions were Ambulance Officers (Paramedics) and Nurses which I think is likely to be true.

Participants were only given those professions listed to chose from.

Normally nurses and pharmacists are rated very highly.

I think there are good and bad people in all professions. But personally, I do seem to see a heck of a lot more good people working as paramedics, nurses and with animals. Also in various allied health and early childhood teachers. All of them aren’t in the list.

I'd like to assume people are doing their job well, but the evidence suggests otherwise so often. I don't really trust any profession.

Participants were only given those professions listed to chose from.

Normally nurses and pharmacists are rated very highly.

Pharmacists is interesting. The medical side sure, but a decent helping of woo they’re happy to profit from and recommend...

purplekitty

Pharmacists is interesting. The medical side sure, but a decent helping of woo they’re happy to profit from and recommend...

I wouldn't be surprised if their reputation has suffered recently.

Community pharmacy is only one aspect of pharmacy practice. There are many hospital pharmacists out there who have no profit motive at all.

I owe my life to paramedics, who incidentally also stepped in to prompt the doctors to attend to me.

So yeah, paramedics. Angels in uniform.

Tinkle Bells

I have so many opinions about this subject, but can’t share them because my opinions are informed by information that (as a lawyer) I am required to keep confidential. It’s so hard being trustworthy sometimes :D

IamtheMumma
I don't know but where are the nurses? We don't even rate a mention.

Usually nurses are #1. Doctors are much lower down on the scale.

nom_de_plume

Probably wouldn't have rated Police or Armed Forced so high. Plenty of them have over inflated egos, and abuse their position within society. Paramedics and Fire Fighters I would say are overall trustworthy. The useless ones usually get found out and moved on. I would say most teachers and early childhood educators are trustworthy.

Oriental lily

I think competence also comes in to it . Doctors for example i think are trustworthy in that they ate doing best to their capability but often have limitations on what they can do due to budget restraints. Most doctors would love to order every test under the sun but it's not just realistic if symptoms are vague. Of course something is not promptly diagnosed and the doctor deemed untrustworthy due to being incompetent. Of course the complete opposite can happen as well especially in private practice when a doctor is suspect of testing things to fill their coffers . Vets and Dentists get this heaps .so they can't really win lol .

Advertisement