Welcome guest! You are invited to register a free account to access our member-only forums.

What's your unpopular opinion?

BECZ

Awards

There are a few 4WDs that go past our house most days.
We live on a main road and these 4WDs are noisier than the huge trucks.

These cars are typically very raised and in some ways I’m glad as it indicates that they actually use these vehicles for their intended use (unlike many people in Sydney, who’s 4WDs never see a dirt road). I think it’s the tread on the tyres. It’s really chunky and I can hear these cars coming and going for a good distance, so much longer than I can hear the huge semitrailers going past.

It’s great that they probably use their vehicle for off road adventure over the weekend, but sometimes I do wish that they would get another car for their work week especially the one that lives a few blocks down from us that goes past in his business suit at 4:45 every morning.

I know it’s probably unrealistic for these people to own a second car, but I can wish!

Hmmm.....I’m sure I hit submit a few hours ago. Obviously not!
Or maybe they just didn’t like my post.
Jolly_F

Awards

Team Member

@BECZ the noise means they have mud terrain tyres - which means they definitely see off road use!

They are noisy as on the road but bloody brilliant off road!!

I love my 4wd, she is pretty. She has all the bells and whistles - including a travel oven and fridge!
LemonMyrtle

Awards

Jolly_F wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm @BECZ the noise means they have mud terrain tyres - which means they definitely see off road use!

I love my 4wd, she is pretty. She has all the bells and whistles - including a travel oven and fridge!
They’re not good for fuel economy on paved road though. They should be changing their wheels when they get home to a road set, and saving the mud tyres for mud.
Jolly_F

Awards

Team Member

LemonMyrtle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:15 pm
Jolly_F wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm @BECZ the noise means they have mud terrain tyres - which means they definitely see off road use!

They’re not good for fuel economy on paved road though. They should be changing their wheels when they get home to a road set, and saving the mud tyres for mud.
Meh most people don’t bother because not everyone has the money to have two sets of tyres and who can be bothered doing that all the time.

Plus most people don’t notice a big difference in fuel economy running all terrains over mud tyres!!

I run mud terrains all the time nowadays. No noticeable difference in fuel economy from when we ran all terrains.
Bornagirl
Subscriber

Awards

We take my little CX3 on road trips now, because it turns out my husband's BMW coupe (a gift from me when I sold my business) doesn't have the same ground clearance. The things that little car can do is amazing. Before I bought it someone on EB said 'that's not an SUV it's a hatch on stilts', and I thought 'perfect'.

We've just been (by road) from Broome to Darwin*. Lots of very, very hardworking 4wd, one which had only recently been bogged and looked like next season's wildflowers will be sprouting from it. They don't do fancy, they do grunt. Very different brands from the city 4WD.

ETA: Not in the CX3. :rofl:

ETA (2): of course it's not a family car - only bought it once we didn't need that. We've had four in it plenty of times, but you sure know about it,
STBG +2

Awards

Back to the Irwins if I may.
Steve was well loved and respected by the rest of the world with Aussies being less keen which is so very typical.
Bindi has probably achieved more in her short life and seen more of the world than most of us. I don't think her getting married and having a child at a young age has set her back at all.
I have never understood why anyone would be bothered by her, really she is not an in your face celebrity and she is working. There are a lot of people who who annoy me far more than she does.
Robert is just a more refined and better educated Steve, also a very pleasant kid IMO.
Lesley225

Awards

THe place i see the most huge 4WDs in Newcastle is in the inner city and beachside suburbs. Like the Junction and Merewether.
VictorineTheCatLover

Awards

Stop trying to make "meat" out of vegetables and other food stuffs.
It's not bacon..It's grated carrot ribbons that you fried. It's not tuna...it's watermelon you brined in soy sauce and rice vinegar. It's not fried chicken...it's deep fried mushrooms in a KFC style coating. It's not meat...it's seitan which is gluten free fried dough.

If you choose to be vegan or strict vegetarian then stop making meat like alternatives to fit in. You don't want to eat meat then be bloody proud of it!
Bethlehem
Subscriber

Awards

I don’t understand the attraction of the big refined Jeep’s.

I drive a duel cab ute. We do a lot of highway driving and live rurally. We need clearance for the dead Roos unfortunately. And the ute but cause we do a lot of Reno’s in our old house and dh is a tradie.
I don’t get the big fancy 4wd. Like the Porsche and Jaguar ones. Even the fancy land cruiser evoque.
One friend has 4 teen boys and tows go-karts and race cars regularly, so she drives a prado.
“I don’t know kid, you didn’t come with instructions” - Chilli Heeler, Bluey S2 ep 50, “Baby Race”.

“The more I drink, the more I answer and the more typing mistakes I make”- Bethlehem 20/11/20
Jolly_F

Awards

Team Member

Bethlehem wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:59 pm I don’t understand the attraction of the big refined Jeep’s.

I drive a duel cab ute. We do a lot of highway driving and live rurally. We need clearance for the dead Roos unfortunately. And the ute but cause we do a lot of Reno’s in our old house and dh is a tradie.
I don’t get the big fancy 4wd. Like the Porsche and Jaguar ones. Even the fancy land cruiser evoque.
One friend has 4 teen boys and tows go-karts and race cars regularly, so she drives a prado.
Range Rover evoque made by Land Rover!

Please down insult Toyota like that ;)
VictorineTheCatLover

Awards

The Evoque is an insult to Rover fullstop!!!
Gumbette

Awards

VictorineTheCatLover wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:47 pm Stop trying to make "meat" out of vegetables and other food stuffs.
It's not bacon..It's grated carrot ribbons that you fried. It's not tuna...it's watermelon you brined in soy sauce and rice vinegar. It's not fried chicken...it's deep fried mushrooms in a KFC style coating. It's not meat...it's seitan which is gluten free fried dough.

If you choose to be vegan or strict vegetarian then stop making meat like alternatives to fit in. You don't want to eat meat then be bloody proud of it!
No! I miss meat. I really do. I can’t wait for lab grown meat. I don’t eat meat because I don’t want to kill something for my benefit not because I don’t like it. I miss it A LOT!
MaryanneK

Awards

I hate wearing socks in bed regardless of how cold it is
Jenflea

Awards

I hate wearing socks full stop.
I rarely wear them even in Canberra's winters.
MaryanneK

Awards

Jenflea wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am I hate wearing socks full stop.
I rarely wear them even in Canberra's winters.
Day time is completely different!
LemonMyrtle

Awards

MaryanneK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm I hate wearing socks in bed regardless of how cold it is
I didn’t think bed time sock wearing was that common anyway? I’ve never worn socks to bed. I prefer an extra blanket on my feet.
Lurker

Awards

VictorineTheCatLover wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:47 pm Stop trying to make "meat" out of vegetables and other food stuffs.

This makes about as much sense as "stop eating salad and bread and fruit if you eat meat. Just eat meat and be proud of it!"
CrankyM

Awards

I live in a town full of 4WD. Every other car is a prado or landcruiser of some sort. In saying that ours has all terrain tires on it. They cost a bloody fortune. Or a hilux 4wd.

Kinda changing the subject but my cranky opinion today is that you can like Classical music and not like the tradition classical composers like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven. Apparently I am a philistine because I don't particularly like these composers and wish more contemporary composers were more well known. Also just because it's classed as "classical" music doesn't mean it has to be composed by someone dead for over 100 years. It just means it's a classical instrument, usually meaning instrumental and involving piano, strings, orchestras or similar. Contemporary Classical is not a thing. It's contradictory in the two words basically mean the opposite of each other. Also would it kill the people who sort music to use some sort of consistent labeling of "Contemporary Classical" (or modern classical, or classical crossover which is often just randomly assigned as far as I can see). it would make it much easier for me to find new albums/artists that I like.
Mooguru

Awards

@CrankyM do you like Ludovico Einaudi?
I love him but everyone always looks at me blankly when I say his name.

My unpopular opinion is that too many housing designs are created with an expectation that smaller families or couples are unsociable. All the 4 bedroom places seem to have 2 living rooms and a media room plus a giant kitchen and sometimes a rumpus.
2 bedroom and 3 bedroom places all seem to have one small to medium lounge-dining combined and a kitchen half the size.

I just want the good old mid century modern layout of 3 beds and bath at one end. Kitchen, living, dining and media/study at the other.
Lurker

Awards

I think it's great if homes are built in a more flexible way! Better for multi generational living or for share houses that aren't just young singles.
CrankyM

Awards

@Mooguru I looooooove his stuff. It’s so beautiful. I even found a book of simpler graded sheet music and my kid that does piano is learning songs from it (he’s learning Nouvele Bianche at the moment). I have not heard a piece of his I didn’t like. I also picked by an album recently from Eydis Evensen called Bylur that I rather like.
MaryanneK

Awards

Lurker wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 am

This makes about as much sense as "stop eating salad and bread and fruit if you eat meat. Just eat meat and be proud of it!"

No the OP makes perfect sense. It's not like saying stop eating salad and bread, it's like saying if you don't want to eat salad or bread then great, don't try and eat a bizarre foodstuff made of meat that is minced and died and squeezed into a bread shape with painted on fake crumbs!
The " vegetarian meat" at Chinese restaurants is so foul. If you don't eat meat and want tofu and veg, then eat tofu and veg - don't bother eating fake "duck" made of tofu and doused in artificial duck flavouring and colouring
DirtyStreetPie
Subscriber

Awards

MaryanneK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm The " vegetarian meat" at Chinese restaurants is so foul. If you don't eat meat and want tofu and veg, then eat tofu and veg - don't bother eating fake "duck" made of tofu and doused in artificial duck flavouring and colouring
It may be foul for you, but it's not foul for everyone.

I could just as easily argue the same about processed meat...

Processed meat that is made of a hundred ingredients is so foul. If you like meat and want to eat meat, then eat real meat - don't bother eating fake "meat" made of fillers and mysterious additives.

... but I won't. Because processed meat isn't crack cocaine. I don't care if people eat that processed meat crap. My son eats it all the time lol.

This seems to arouse genuine irritation - even anger - in some people. It's kind of funny that all I have to do to make someone else's blood pressure rise is eat a Beyond Meat burger hahaha.
Vande Mataram :india:
Gumbette

Awards

I looove Beyond Meat burgers. DH did too and he was a die hard meat eater.

Fake meat from Chinese restaurants, tofu duck, prawns, abalone - I have packets of them in the freezer. DD loves them and they add flavour to stir fries. Not to mention vegetarian calamari, with a bit of tartare sauce, you can’t tell the difference plus that’s a couple of extra squid still happily swimming around.

I don’t get the outrage, no one is making meat eaters consume fake meat. It’s not even like the 4WD vent - eating fake meat doesn’t impact anyone except the person consuming it, so I’m genuinely confused. :thinking:
Gumbette

Awards

Back in my meat eating days I never understood the need to mash and dice perfectly good expensive ingredients for it become fine dining. Lobster ravioli for 3 times the price and 1/10 the amount of lobster. Give me a lobster tail and a bib any day.