IGNORED

Bruising - when is it a concern?

The Little Engine

The Little Engine

I will preface this by stating I have always bruised easily and I mentioned it was a bit worse to my Dr a few months ago.

At what point should I get a Dr to look at bruising? I usually have at least a bruise or 2 - mainly on my legs. Rarely do I know how they got there. Sometimes I remember a little bump - but the bruises don't reflect this.

Yesterday I tripped slightly- did not even have to dust my pants off and no injuries or pain initially. Within half an hour or so it started to throb. This is the result. It is now quite painful.

Do I need to do anything?

20210403-234348.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Little Engine

• Bornagirl

• STBG 2

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! That does look sore. I would definitely go to your GP while you have that bruise or take that picture with you so you can show them if the bruise has healed before you get in.

Yep see your dr. Just as a heads up, I've found doctors can be really dismissive of bruising easily unless they are looking at the actual bruise so I would treat the previous reassurance with caution

Fruitmincepies

Do you also have heavy periods? I forget who it was but one member was diagnosed with a clotting disorder not too long ago.

But it doesn’t look normal to me. That looks like the sort of bruising I got after major orthopaedic surgery.

Definitely see your doctor. You need to find out why you bruise so badly - it might well be harmless on a day to day basis, but cruicial if you ever need major surgery. My sister bruises (and bleeds) very easily and now with a heart condition, taking blood thinners is a catch 22 for her.

TheGreenSheep

That’s impressive!

If you are concerned, my suggestion would be to see your GP and get referred to see a Heamatologist. They would likely run some very specific screening blood tests. There can be many underlying causes, some hereditary, some not, that are reasons for bruising.

A bruise like that should come from a memorable incident if you know what I mean.

I agree with PP who said to see a GP who must respond with a full blood screen.

Good luck.

Go get checked lovely. A bruise like that outside the usual. If you can't get there in a day or so then show the photo and tell the Dr about the incident that caused it.

I bruise like that, but not from nothing.

The last one was from a cricket ball.

I agree with a previous poster, I find the GPs quite dismissive of bruising so you might need to push them.

When i was having my last skin cancer check the doctor asked if i was diabetic as i have big bruises around my hips.

It's just because i have bright white skin and no depth perception, can't use both eyes together and bang into the edges of doorways going through them. And my bed is sharp on the edges and walk into it etc. Usually have bangs on my begs too at the height of the dishwasher and scratches from clothes baskets.

I would want to check out that bruising so quickly. The last time i saw something like that is a photo a team mate showed me where she fell into a removed floorboard in a part of her house undergoing renovations.

lazycritter

I had to fall down a flight of stairs and end up in hospital to get bruises like that. That's not normal. It was a while ago but I'm still not sure they were even as bad as yours.

Doctor for sure

I bruise like that, I went to the GP years ago and got bloods to check for any bleeding disorders etc but was all clear. I’m pale which contributes, plus also have found out many family members get bad bruises too so seems there’s something hereditary about it. 2 of my kids are always covered in bruises with no recollection of where they came from.

I’f for nothing else a visit to the GP will reassure you.

I bruise easily like that, all my life. In fact school teachers asked if my parents beat me (no).

I went to the GP to talk about some numbness on my skin and he saw a bruise, I said it's normal lol he said no it's not.

He ran tests and I have found out that I have Von Willebrands Type 1 (took a few months to diagnose type as I was almost like type 2 with results, she said they were a bit over the place) - a blood clotting issue. I now have to see a haematologist every 6 months with blood work. I can not have any medical procedure without consulting with her.

It's weird to get to my age and find out I have had this my whole life but once I did the pennies dropped.

The Little Engine

Thanks everyone- I went to a pharmacy that was open today. It is still bleeding and spreading and I have been told ice and elevation and to watch carefully for clots. It is painful down much of the leg and if I am sitting still it is quite noticeable.

Thanks everyone- I went to a pharmacy that was open today. It is still bleeding and spreading and I have been told ice and elevation and to watch carefully for clots. It is painful down much of the leg and if I am sitting still it is quite noticeable.

Are you planning a doctor's visit ?

Are you planning a doctor's visit ?

I think a doctor visit is a good idea! when I bruise like that it doesn't hurt, sometimes I don't even know how I get most of my bruises!

The Little Engine

I am away for a few days so it's difficult to see a Dr. If it's really bad tomorrow I can try and find a clinic, but I am probably better to wait until I get home if it's needed.

I am away for a few days so it's difficult to see a Dr. If it's really bad tomorrow I can try and find a clinic, but I am probably better to wait until I get home if it's needed.

It looks like everyone is a little more concerned than you are :)

It is not normal, I would see your doctor as soon as you get back even if the bruise is improving.

It's needed! It's not for this bruise, it's for why it's happened in the first place.

The Little Engine

I am have had my leg up when I can and have iced it as per pharmacy instructions. It hasn't spread any more this afternoon but is still getting darker. The leg has a dull ache down to ankle area which has continued despite rest and elevation so I will try and get in to a bulk billing clinic or similar tomorrow morning. If not I will head home tomorrow afternoon and try and get an appointment Tues.

Picture taken tonight. It is so black!

20210404-223041.jpg

Have you been bitten by something? A friend was bitten by a tick (I think) and had a similar looking bruise to the round part with the dark centre lighter area darker ring.

Advertisement