IGNORED

What is there left to do on earth? (discoveries)

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

Apart from smaller/faster/better technology it seems everything has been discovered or invented or made

Sure I think there will be products improved

But what will happen now and in the future that humans will go 'wow' at

Yes curing of diseases etc. will be one I just thought of

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Bad Cat

• pelagic

• LunaFreya

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still things to be discovered and developed. Likely things you’ve never heard of or can’t imagine.

I’d like to see affordable space tourism

Misspent Youth

Personally I hate flying so I’m looking forward to being able to teleport places; and I’m guessing one day you’d be able to upload your consciousness onto the cloud? (Just finished watching Years and Years)

Time travel?

Nutrients in pill form?

Extended life expectancies?

Kiwi Bicycle

Flying cars.

Faster than light space travel

Growing organs for transplant in vats ( I think almost there).

Uterine replicators

Curing the common cold.

Was thinking the other day that if we all just quarantined for a month or two, we'd probably kill covid, flu AND the common cold completely.

But then we'd be like people in new lands who had no immunity when some animal gave us a new disease.

GenericBeverage

Lots of medical stuff comes to mind. Some useful, some a bit questionable. Like regrowing organs or limbs or teeth, which would be great, or extending life expectancy for many years, which sounds pretty dreadful.

Mobile phones that don't require charging (or only rarely, say once or twice a year) would be nice.

Also, where are the self cleaning toilets? I thought we'd have those by now, lol.

There is so much of the earth still undiscovered, the ocean, the Amazon, heaps. There is still so much unknown about the human body. Everyone has their own internal flora. There's still so much to learn!!

ClaudiaCosette

What an interesting topic! I can't think of anything specific but PPs have had lots of ideas which I never would have imagined.

I do think that teleportation would be nice. I'd like to travel to different countries but then come home to sleep in my own bed each night.

I'm sure people in every era have thought similar things.

Sliced bread? Surely there's nothing more to invent? lol

I think there's plenty to discover and develop in nanotech, new species, cloning, gene research, transport.. I don't know what those things are but I can see enormous potential for all kinds of things to become possible.

The minute I can upload myself to a cyborg I'm there. Human bodies are frail and stupid.

Globally, we are going to face massive effects of climate change this century (extreme cyclones, floods, bushfires etc). We are going to have to discover ways to become far more resourceful with rebuilding, or better yet, develop renewable energy resources so we can mitigate climate change, to avert impending disaster. I just had a conversation with a junior colleague who has just bought his first home in a new housing estate - clearly it is flood prone as the insurance premium to cover floods is $7K a year. He cannot afford this premium so he hasn’t taken this option, but with calculated premium that high, there is a high probability that one day his home will be affected & he won’t have any insurance payment to rebuild.

Considering we are still finding new species of animals and plants, there is so much to discover.

We don’t know how to detect cancers early or the causes of many other health problems.

In breast cancer detection- a program designed for looking at the night sky was adapted to interpret mammograms. Radiation therapy is now able to be timed with the patents breath to protect the heart.

Details of soils and how to deal with our waste. Recycling solar panels and wind turbines and capturing micro plastics and how to remove medications from our waste water.

I think humans living longer could be bad from my planet. Think about it, it means less people dying and still more being born.

Little Bear

Effectively solve access to mental health support in society - in terms of therapist availability, cost, treatment wait times, stigma surrounding MH issues. Have enough housing at affordable cost (either to buy or rent) so people are not homeless. Good access to fresh fruit and vegetables at a cheap price for people on low income and no transport of their own. Be creative and innovative in finding solutions so that there aren’t food deserts due to poor quality of soil and infrequent rain. Plant enough trees not just a green parkland in the middle of a housing estate or inner city, Solve the climate crisis.

Money for these things seems to be a big barrier. Discover how to stop money from being the barrier so there is hope for the future.

We need to get off world. I know you said "on earth" but to get off world we need to do an awful lot of planning and dev to actually make it feasible. Not sure where we'd go, but it's either that or we do some pretty serious population control so we can ride out the effects of climate change. Because right now, if the population continues to grow, and we don't do enough to deal with the climate issue, we're not going to make it.

Of course, loading us all into cyborg bodies would help. We could withstand harsher climates, wouldn't require food... Did I mention I'd like to be a cyborg? lol

Advertisement