IGNORED

Shareena Clanton- Neighbour

Mrs Claus

https://instagram.com/shareenaclanton?igshid=zitpondlg4se

Has anyone else seen this? What are your thoughts? I always thought the Neighbours set seemed to be quite progressive but this has made me reassess.

Also can someone explain why an elder should have been employed (coming from ignorance)? I understand if it was a specific indigenous storyline but from what I understand (though admit the scenes haven’t aired yet) it wasn’t. (Please no racist hate, I’m genuinely trying to learn/understand)

BACA0854-D796-4-B06-BE6-D-1-C5886216-E76.png

DD35-DFD1-AE05-44-CD-9787-8-FA9-EFF22212.png

Edited to add pics as wasn’t sure if I’m allowed to.

Edited by Mrs Claus

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrs Claus

• Tinsel

• Winter frost

• purpentine

Top Posters In This Topic

Misspent Youth

Isn't it just some plot line, two characters with the same name leading to zany misunderstandings etc? From what I can see, no recasting or whatever.

By enlarging the page, I can read what's been written, but don't understand the connection with neighbours.

Agree completely with her that if they complained about every small injustice that's all they'd do.

Winter frost

I read an article about this. I have always thought neiighbours was far too white bread so not surprised if there is some unconcsious bias - but even i was a bit surprised by some of the conversations that occurred. I must live under a rock because i simply dont hear people speak like that in real life.

All that aside i was a bit unsure what the purpose of hiring an elder was for.

Some of the claims are pretty horrendous, I've certainly never heard that kind of language described as 'office banter' before.

I am a bit puzzled at the objections to the term 'slave driver' though, I presume it was used in the context of 'I'm so tired, my boss is an absolute slave-driver'. I can see why it might be problematic but this is the first time I've hear anyone actually voice objection to it being used in that context. Has anyone else come across it before?

Some of the claims are pretty horrendous, I've certainly never heard that kind of language described as 'office banter' before.

I am a bit puzzled at the objections to the term 'slave driver' though, I presume it was used in the context of 'I'm so tired, my boss is an absolute slave-driver'. I can see why it might be problematic but this is the first time I've hear anyone actually voice objection to it being used in that context. Has anyone else come across it before?

Yes me too. I feel that when you take issue about every little thing (I understand it’s not necessarily little to her) then you lose a little in the fight for the big things

Thinking about it, I can only think that someone being called a slave driver/calling themselves a slave driver today, no matter how unreasonable their demands are, would be nowhere near as bad as the slave drivers of history thereby diminishing the term to a 'difficult boss'?

Just a thought.

By enlarging the page, I can read what's been written, but don't understand the connection with neighbours.

Agree completely with her that if they complained about every small injustice that's all they'd do.

Shareena was portraying a character on the show Neighbours.

Chillipeppers

I’ve been Following this since she put up her Instagram post complaining about neighbours. From what I can see the only thing that is very offensive is the N word and shouldn’t be tolerated in the workplace, in my opinion the other issues she had with what was said was taken out of context, although I do admit I wasn’t there so I’m just assuming.

I was also wondering why an elder was needed.

MintyBiscuit

Shareena wasn’t alone in calling this out, Meyne Wyatt in response mentioned issues he encountered on the Neighbours set during his stint a few years ago.

And then if you’re still unsure of the racism, read her follow up posts collecting some of the comments made in the wake of her statements and the associated media stories. They’re abhorrent.

In terms of questioning whether something said was racist or not, I think I’ll leave that to the indigenous woman on the receiving end who actually witnessed it, and said in that post that she had to be careful detailing due to legal reasons. It’s quite possible that as a one off any of these single comments wouldn’t register as racist, but if it’s part of an overall culture it’s an issue

That's appalling. Though I'm glad people are finding their voices and speaking out about what is at the end of the day abusive behaviour in the workplace. More power to their arms.

Kiwi Bicycle

It doesn't seem to be just racsim on the set, but a culture of bullying. Nicola Charles has written a book about her time working in Soaps and writes about being called a fucking MTA ( model turned actor) and how two cast members of Neighbours, after finding her contract had been extended, made a complaint and tried to get her work visa cancelled ( she's British). She did say that those two people are no longer cast members now.

Advertisement