As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Can I recycle plastic lunch boxes?

Guest Megsmith

Guest Megsmith

I am one of those people who uses the decor type tubs to store and reheat meals, and then wash in the dishwasher. As a result they get that white scratching/patching all over the plastic which is apparently toxic. I’ve just filed a big shopping bag with tubs I want To dispose of, but Dr google is not helping. Can they go in the yellow bin? If not, where does all this hard plastic go? Surely not land fill? I am gradually replacing them with glass Pyrex, but need to know how to dispose of these! Any ideas?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• amdirel

• Princess Peach

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

As a result they get that white scratching/patching all over the plastic which is apparently toxic.

:o Is it?? I'll have a lot in my cupboard to get rid of if that's the case!

Mine have got a recycling symbol of 5 on them, so check with your local council whether they can go in your recycling bin.

They're all different colours in different councils but I'm assuming by 'yellow' bin, that's your recycling one.

Guest Megsmith

As a result they get that white scratching/patching all over the plastic which is apparently toxic.

Yeh it’s melted plastic which can leach into food. I regularly do a clear out, but for some reason my plastics cupboard seems never ending. DH likes plastic tubs and stocks up when they’re half price at the supermarket. I’m trying to go full glass but it’s taking forever. I just wanna know how to dispose of them!

LemonMyrtle

Yeh it’s melted plastic which can leach into food. I regularly do a clear out, but for some reason my plastics cupboard seems never ending. DH likes plastic tubs and stocks up when they’re half price at the supermarket. I’m trying to go full glass but it’s taking forever awww. I just wanna know how to dispose of them!

How is the pock marked bits of the container more likely to leech plastic into your food than the container itself? It’s just moulded plastic, uniform in composition (I would assume)

Princess Peach

I thought the rule of thumb was if you can crush the plastic in your hand it has to go to the plastic bin at colesworth, but if you can’t it can go in the council bins.

Advertisement