IGNORED

Sizing for babies - need a refresher

purpleduck

We have a friend who is pregnant and we wanted to send them some bonds wondersuits (the button up cuddly ones, not those new fandangled zippy things) - they are in the northern hemisphere and due in May. What size should we be buying? I'm concerned that the suits would be too warm for their summers?

This is what I remember is approx sizing:

- 000 = newborn so 0-3mths

- 00 = 3-6mths

- 0 = 6-9mths

so would it be better to get 00 and 0 sizing? I know babies can be so different in newborn sizes, but I also think the suits run a bit small?

Oh drat, have just looked and they only go up to 00 :(

Any other recommendations for the newer bonds suits?

Thoughts? Thanks :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenbean

• Living Type

• purpleduck

• MagdaRegis

Top Posters In This Topic

Living Type

You can get the terry toweling zippies if that’s what you after? Poodlette fabric

https://www.bonds.com.au/poodlette-zip-wondersuit-bzjsa-zs4.html

I find bonds quite roomy and my kids wear the zippies waaaay beyond their actual size eg tonight my average sized 14 month was wearing a 00 onesie. The cuffs are folded up so it doesn’t cover his toes but still fits (just).

+1 to the poodlette suits with zips. So cosy, the baby feels like a teddy bear.

Bonds sizes run very large. My 10.5kg 17 month old can still squish into a 0. I'd be buying 000 so they can wear it in winter unless they have a history of birthing 5lh babies

Yep, they are the ones. The bonds zips are two-way, some of the cheaper brands have one only which means you have to unzip the whole way to change a nappy. With the bonds ones you just unzip the legs

00000 - "tiny baby"

0000 - newborn

000 - 0-3 months

00 - 3-6 months

0 - 6-12 months

1 - 12-18 months

2 - 18-24 months

Target and places will often put weight ranges on it, but I've not found them to be particularly accurate. Bonds are huge! I actually love snaps on the baby onesies, but I know that I am in the minority there.

I adore the traditional bonds suits with the little Peter Pan collar and ample room for a nappy. They’re gorgeous. I was so irked when I realised they no longer made them beyond 00, although I did manage to find an 0 at an outlet store.

They are generously cut compared to other brands. I’d get a 000 and an 00 as weather can be changeable regardless of the season.

I'm an extremely capable businesswoman and single mum. Until I accidentally match the wrong set of snaps together then I want to cry and lose it 😭😭😂😂. Zips all the way!

Jersey Caramel

Although it's more fun to buy the teeny tiny baby clothes, I remember it was always nice to pull out some new items when the baby got a bit bigger. I had loads of 0000 as gifts and although gorgeous, they only last 6 weeks or so, whereas the 000 fit for about 2-3 months and the 00 and 0 sizes fitted for 5-6 months or more.

I'm an extremely capable businesswoman and single mum. Until I accidentally match the wrong set of snaps together then I want to cry and lose it 😭😭😂😂. Zips all the way!

But snaps are so much more fun to dramatically pull open while telling the child that they're the most gorgeous and most stinky child in the world!

Kiwi Bicycle

I always preferred feeted suits. No cold feet and don't have to muck around with socks or booties. Also preferred bigger sizes as they grew so fast it was better to have a stash to pull out as required.

We have got soo many onesies (heaps of hand-me-downs) and I keep going for those with zips, especially two-way zips. I actually just did a Bonds order and got some of the poodlette suits for the cold weather that has started in Vic. Bonds runs big, I bought 0000 which are really more like 000. They have become progressively bigger over the years. They have a deal on the wondersuits at the moment.

Living Type

I like the bonds zippies.. Good to have the fold over feet, but also could leave open when they got a bit bigger.

👍 agree. They are called Flippy toes in our house.

ClaudiaCosette

I really like the Bonds zippy suits. I agree with PP that it's nice to get the bigger sizes, although someone I know who just had a baby was complaining they didn't have enough 0000 suits (their first bub was big so they expected another biggun, and the new bub is tiny). I was the same with my first who was spewy and needed a lot of changes every day, but then he did grow out of them very quickly.

I might get a range of sizes, perhaps? And depending how north they are in the northern hemisphere, it could still be cool enough to wear them at night through summer.

Crazyone4532

Bonds zippys are fabulous! I couldn’t stand trying to match snaps in the middle of the night with a crying baby! The zippys run large though. My DS has always been in the size below for them. He’s 22 months now and still in the size 1 (12-18months).

Ok so consensus is that Bonds sizes are running larger now than they used to and that the zips are ok.

I agree on getting a larger size. I’ll probably pick a couple of them and get them shipped direct.

Just thinking about cuddly babies in wondersuits :heart:

Kerilyntaryn21

I'd get size 0, depends on country and baby re size, my oldest was in size 0 by 3-4 months and that would be their springtime, my middle was in 0 by 4-5 months and my youngest 6-8 months. I loved the zips

Seayork2002

It would be heading into summer there so I would through in some short arms not legs chippy bonds suits, ds had them mostly in summer there

Honestly? It depends on the kid. My first was perfectly average and used the guide age for sizes as a challenge ('3 months? Better get growing so I'm completely in that size by then!'), and my 12mo is still in 00 bonds (size 3-6 months, in theory) and 00 and 0 in other brands.

I am also camp 'studs over zips' for the teeny sizes as its easier to completely undo quickly if needed and do a full change. I was caught too many times with my first where I would unzip from the bottom end, then he would leak and all of a sudden I had to zip the onesie back up to undo from the top. Mostly because I was still getting used to nappies and how the whole baby thing worked.

So my opinion is studs for size 0000 and 000 and zip for 00 and above.

I love buying baby stuff though- especially for other people :)

Advertisement