IGNORED

Update - Feeling so stupid- have I done permanent damage to my ears?

Hummingbird82

Hummingbird82

I am feeling so very stupid.

Yesterday at work a contractor came to do some work on my office door less than 1m from me. My boss and I were offered ear plugs and he said no (as did I) and the guy proceeded to drill and drill and drill into the wall/door frame. I suspect the wall is asbestos too but really hope they wouldn't just drill into asbestos with no ventilation/masks but you never know.

After an hour or so the drilling continued intermittently.. And after work my ears were so sore. And this morning they are still sore. It's not earache but hurt to eat dinner. Like they have been bruised. As my husband pointed out I should have just left my office and worked somewhere else. I have a laptop I can take with me. I think I was just following my boss and as I work in a very male dominated environment, I didn't want to be perceived as the weak female (which is pathetic).

I really hope I haven't done significant damage to my ears. Should I go to the Dr today?

Edited by Hummingbird82

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hummingbird82

• LemonMyrtle

• Jerry

• Basil

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go to the doctor today too. Some treatments for ear damage are more effective the sooner it is started. Also if it occurred in the work place and you have a definite injury it becomes a worker’s compensation reportable matter.

LemonMyrtle

And I’m actually impressed the guy offered you ear plugs. That was pretty decent. So many people wouldn’t even think of it or bother.

Hummingbird82

Thanks - it was kind of him up offer the ear plugs - obviously that was a hint I should take them. He was cutting into cement sheeting and it was so loud.

Kiwi Bicycle

Chinese New Year last year, the lion dance troop offered earplugs to those watching before they did the final firecracker let off.

I also remember as a teen having blocked ringing ears the morning after going to a night club. It normally resolved itself. Hearing loss is usually prolonged, multiple over time exposure.

Hummingbird82

Chinese New Year last year, the lion dance troop offered earplugs to those watching before they did the final firecracker let off.

I also remember as a teen having blocked ringing ears the morning after going to a night club. It normally resolved itself. Hearing loss is usually prolonged, multiple over time exposure.

Great - thank you.

Hummingbird82

The doctor said my right ear drum is perforated and should heal on its own. She asked me to come back in a week and may look at hearing tests in the next few weeks. Hopefully it settles down soon.

Lukes mummi

The doctor said my right ear drum is perforated and should heal on its own. She asked me to come back in a week and may look at hearing tests in the next few weeks. Hopefully it settles down soon.

Gosh you poor thing! Please make sure you put in a workers comp report, things like this shouldn’t happen. You should have been TOLD to move out, not offered ear plugs.

Gosh you poor thing! Please make sure you put in a workers comp report, things like this shouldn’t happen. You should have been TOLD to move out, not offered ear plugs.

I agree. If the noise was at a level where it could damage your ears you should have been advised that you had to leave the area or wear earplugs. Not just offered ear plugs as a courtesy if you wanted them.

My DD had a perforated ear drum a while ago. The ENT told me that perforating your ear drum just once is not usually associated with hearing loss. Hearing loss usually occurs after ongoing problems - so for example children who have lots of ear infections and end up with a perforated ear drum on multiple occasions. Hopefully all will be ok with you OP.

Yesterday at work a contractor came to do some work on my office door less than 1m from me. My boss and I were offered ear plugs and he said no (as did I) and the guy proceeded to drill and drill and drill into the wall/door frame. I suspect the wall is asbestos too but really hope they wouldn't just drill into asbestos with no ventilation/masks but you never know.

I would be getting this investigated and refusing to go back into the office until it was cleared!

I would be worried if I were in the room while asbestos sheeting was being drilled into/removed, without protective equipment. I would worry about the fibres getting onto my clothing and hair and taking it home to my family.

There are different types of asbestos sheeting and some are more dangerous than others, but I wouldn’t accept that in my place of work.

Hummingbird82

Thank you everyone - my ears are much better today but still sore so I'm back at work. I have been encouraged to put in a WorkCover claim to cover future hearing test costs etc.

The asbestos part is speculative on my part. It just looks like an asbestos wall and is definitely cement but I'm hoping a government agency would take the correct precautions if it was asbestos.

Hopefully my ears will continue to recover and I'll learn an important lesson to leave anywhere that makes so much noise you can feel the vibrations in the future.

All the asbestos/fibro sheeting I have come across is not hard enough to require heavy drilling for an hour?

But definitely check with someone at work if you are worried.

All the asbestos/fibro sheeting I have come across is not hard enough to require heavy drilling for an hour?

But definitely check with someone at work if you are worried.

You could request a test done to see if it is asbestos, to put your mind to rest on that matter.

We regularly have asbestos testing done in my workplace. Results are in within hours usually - they take a small scraping.

Mind you, if it is a licensed tradesperson doing the job, they should ascertain this prior to work beginning.

Advertisement