IGNORED

Volvo xc40

Mocha

I don’t know how controversial this is and if I am allowed to post this. Please delete if inappropriate.

So we need a new car. Decided on the Volvo xc40 as it ticked all the boxes. Only to now discover Volvo is now made in China.

I am wary when comes to China. I feel it has made too many grave mistakes... which have compromised safety. Everyday stuff, I am mostly ok. Food? I Never buy China produce or spices etc. Cars? I don’t know what to think.

What do you think? Will you buy a Volvo made in China?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mocha

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jenflea

• ClaudiaCosette

Top Posters In This Topic

no, because I prefer Japanese made cars and my go to brand is Subaru.

I'd HOPE that Volvo's safety record and quality control would ensure it's still a good car though.

ClaudiaCosette

I don't know. I wouldn't buy an MG or LDV which is made in China, because neither has a great reputation and I think the safety standards are not up to scratch with other cars. But it could be different with a Volvo, as they have a good reputation and you'd think they'd want to protect that.

We had a Ford which was built in Thailand. It turned out to be a lemon and we had major issues with it (once it was out of warranty, of course). Apparently some other models were made in Germany and they were much better. So maybe there is something to it?

Silverstreak

I don't think I'd buy a Volvo full stop. My first and second cars were both Volvos. They kept breaking down, particularly in hot weather and parts were expensive to source. I had a Volvo break down on me two Christmas Days in a row! Just my two cents.

There's no way I would purchase a car made in China. Volvo aren't known for being problem free (no car is), but I wouldn't buy one now as the CCP aren't known for being open about any issues to do with State owned corporations. I only buy Japanese. What about a Lexus?

Kiwi Bicycle

The Choice reliable car listjng did have Kia and Hyundai South Korean brands pretty high up the list now, they are pretty much as good as Japanese brands now.

I have a fairly new xc60 which I love. I had an older one for years before this one. It has a five year warranty and three years servicing (“free”, but really just part of the price), so I was happy to take the risk. Most mechanics will say that European cars only have about a five year lifespan, and Japanese ones are far more reliable. But I like the styling and the comfort, and am happy to accept the shorter lifespan.

There's no way I would purchase a car made in China. Volvo aren't known for being problem free (no car is), but I wouldn't buy one now as the CCP aren't known for being open about any issues to do with State owned corporations. I only buy Japanese. What about a Lexus?

Yes, we have also looked at Lexus, VW, Mercedes and Hyundai! Xc40 just checked all the boxes for us! And now I just don’t see it in the same light knowing it’s made it China.

I have a fairly new xc60 which I love. I had an older one for years before this one. It has a five year warranty and three years servicing (“free”, but really just part of the price), so I was happy to take the risk. Most mechanics will say that European cars only have about a five year lifespan, and Japanese ones are far more reliable. But I like the styling and the comfort, and am happy to accept the shorter lifespan.

Good to know! Yeah, I do generally prefer the European cars and so true about the shorter lifespan!

Advertisement