IGNORED

Tell me about your Tattoos

BKK

After years of wanting a tattoo I’m finally booked in. Yes I’m fat & 45 but I want to do something for me.

I love the watercolour tattoos and anything that is floral and very pretty.

Would love a peacock with its tail done in flowers.

So tell me do you have a tattoo or many? Do yours have a special meaning?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BKK

• Ozgirl

• Willa May

• Zeppelina

Silverstreak

I don't have a tattoo, but I love the look of the watercolour tattoos, they are so pretty. Your peacock idea sounds beautiful too.

How exciting. I didn't get my first till I was 36,

I have a full sleeve of "nature". It starred off with a sizable colour piece on my shoulder of all my families birth flowers. My artists style is photo realism. From there I got a

Kookaburra to symbolise fun and laughter and also Kookaburras remind me of being on a holiday.

A bearded dragon, she was one I fell in love with at work so I photographed her and my artist did it from my photo.

A green tree frog, again based off one we had at work who I fell in love with but also symbolised "evolution and change " as I was going through a huge thing at the time.

A couple of skull butterflies. Because they look Rad, and symbolise the circle of life.

A quirky Praying Mantis doing a mating dance, because I adore all stick creatures and wanted something not so serious.

A Striated Pardalote, with a very personal meaning to be because they tie into a story about my wonderful husbands persistence and never giving up. This is possibly my favourite piece in my sleeve. It's STUNNING.

As fillers I got flowering gum and bees. I adore gum trees

There's also a shitty flower on my elbow. I hate it and may get something done with it in the future. My sleeve is all black and grey except for my flowers and bees. This was intentional.

I also have a heart on my wedding ring finger with my husband first name initial worked into it, a Vegvisir on my inner forearm of my non sleeved arm (I love love love this tattoo). And a arrow going through a sun on my ribs with the word "release" incorporated into the arrow. I often forget about that one because I rarely see it. I got it on my right side as that's the side my liver in on and it was to symbolise me letting go of my struggle with alcoholism and moving on.

That's it for now......but I'd love a leg sleeve.

Oh, I should add that the colour work I have, the birth flowers, desperately need touching up. I think I'm actually going to get him to pump a load of black into them to make them pop again.

I could talk tattoos alllllll day lol.

I don't have, or want, coloured tattoos only black and grey. And I only get ones that mean something to me.

One wrist has a band logo with lyrics that remind me not to worry about what people think of me. The other wrist has a band logo with lyrics that remind me not to go back to where I was.

My next tattoo will be a cat listening to music, because it's pretty much who I am.

Oh, and I was older than you when I got my first.

nom_de_plume

I have 3, all black and grey.

One on my foot/ankle to commemorate my Grandmother. That one was my first and biggest. The second is on my wrist and is a piece of calligraphy that I like (it's my favourite tattoo of all of them!). The third is a dragonfly on my hip. The two on my wrist and hip are bamboo tattoos I had done in Asia during my backpacking days.

I have commissioned a half sleeve which will be done in colour. It's a steampunk lady with a peacock. It was meant to happen in July last year but because of Covid it's been pushed back to September this year.

I'm 35 and a "professional". Everyone in my work life is always shocked when they first meet me either because of my tatts or because i'm a woman (unisex name in a male dominated, niche industry). I just laugh and say i'm happy to break all the stereotypes.

I don't have any but I think about it often as my tattooed children have bet that I won't ever get one and I just want to prove they don't know me so well.

Truth is that I don't really like them 'for me' as I am way too old and saggy and I was brought up in a family where only drunken Naval men had them ( my dear old judgemental mum).

I love hearing about all your tattoos though, I have only one clean skin out of 5 children now so I get introduced to new ones quite often.

Not So Retro

I got an invisible (imaginary) tattoo after my ex cheated on me. We had separated and were doing a pretty nasty financial settlement negotiation. It says "I am the better man"........What I would like is a fancy script of my maiden name initial but I have no idea where it should go as it needs to be somewhere I can easily cover, that I can still see (not on my back for example) that won't look too gross on 50 something skin.

I expect my tall boy will get one eventually as his GF has heaps. It's funny he has talked about a tall ship/octopus sort of thing something like this picture, as my grandfather was in the merchant navy and had several maritime themed tattoos.

Tattoo.jpg

Edited by Not So Retro

I always wanted a snowflake, but never knew where to have it put.

Snowflakes is associated with my son, and I got one on my wrist. I got white ink (because that was one of my roadblocks, snowflakes are white, so didnt want a blank ink one) but its so faded now im seriously considering getting it done in black ink.

IMG-20210424-1442404.jpg

I always wanted a snowflake, but never knew where to have it put.

Snowflakes is associated with my son, and I got one on my wrist. I got white ink (because that was one of my roadblocks, snowflakes are white, so didnt want a blank ink one) but its so faded now im seriously considering getting it done in black ink.

IMG-20210424-1442404.jpg

If you still wanted the snowflake to be white you could go with something like this,

snowflake.jpg

I got an invisible (imaginary) tattoo after my ex cheated on me. We had separated and were doing a pretty nasty financial settlement negotiation. It says "I am the better man"........What I would like is a fancy script of my maiden name initial but I have no idea where it should go as it needs to be somewhere I can easily cover, that I can still see (not on by back for example) that won't look too gross on 50 something skin.

I expect my tall boy will get one eventually as his GF has heaps. It's funny he has talked about a tall ship/octopus sort of thing something like this picture, as my grandfather was in the merchant navy and had several maritime themed tattoos.

Tattoo.jpg

Have you thought of getting something done in white ink? It wont be as noticeable

Not So Retro

I got an invisible (imaginary) tattoo after my ex cheated on me. We had separated and were doing a pretty nasty financial settlement negotiation. It says "I am the better man"........What I would like is a fancy script of my maiden name initial but I have no idea where it should go as it needs to be somewhere I can easily cover, that I can still see (not on by back for example) that won't look too gross on 50 something skin.

Tattoo.jpg

Have you thought of getting something done in white ink? It wont be as noticeable

Only since reading the [mention]Ozgirl[/mention]'s post!

I got my first when I was 37, and have five now (so far), four years later. Four out of five are (or include) colour, the most recent two are floral pieces on my shoulders - one shoulder cap has my family's birth flowers in a gorgeous arrangement that my tattooist created, and the other shoulder just has a single tiny flower which represents a country I love. (The other three are quite distinctive and potentially identifiable so I won't describe them.) I have one arm which I see as my "tattoos linked to others" arm, and one which is "tattoos that represent me" arm.

I had always wanted to get tattoos, but was so hung up on getting the 'perfect' one in the 'perfect' spot. Once I got my first one, I realized that 'perfect' doesn't really matter (to me). I adore the entire process of getting and being tattooed, and I'm now at the stage where I'm happy to just get images or concepts I like, without them necessarily having any deep or personal meaning. I have at least two more planned, but I'm running out of places that I would like to have tattoos!

For anyone worried about pain, I actually find the process quite meditative. For my last three tattoos (in total about 6 hours of work, on two separate occasions, one shoulder blade and the two above shoulder ones) I actually almost fell asleep I was so zoned out!

eta: Congrats OP on making the decision and booking in! Let us know how you go.

I had never heard of white ink before... the subtlety really appeals.

Yes it really is subtle! I love it for that, but equally wish more people would notice so I could talk about my son. And sometimes I even forget I have it.

I got my first when I was 37, and have five now (so far), four years later. Four out of five are (or include) colour, the most recent two are floral pieces on my shoulders - one shoulder cap has my family's birth flowers in a gorgeous arrangement that my tattooist created, and the other shoulder just has a single tiny flower which represents a country I love. (The other three are quite distinctive and potentially identifiable so I won't describe them.) I have one arm which I see as my "tattoos linked to others" arm, and one which is "tattoos that represent me" arm.

I had always wanted to get tattoos, but was so hung up on getting the 'perfect' one in the 'perfect' spot. Once I got my first one, I realized that 'perfect' doesn't really matter (to me). I adore the entire process of getting and being tattooed, and I'm now at the stage where I'm happy to just get images or concepts I like, without them necessarily having any deep or personal meaning. I have at least two more planned, but I'm running out of places that I would like to have tattoos!

For anyone worried about pain, I actually find the process quite meditative. For my last three tattoos (in total about 6 hours of work, on two separate occasions, one shoulder blade and the two above shoulder ones) I actually almost fell asleep I was so zoned out!

eta: Congrats OP on making the decision and booking in! Let us know how you go.

Yeah nah.

I have a high pain threshold (i know people say that so take it as you wish)and admittedly the tan part of my arm didnt hurt that much (and the artist started there) but he swap sides, so one line on the tougher skin, then on the soft skin side.

Yeah nah.

I have a high pain threshold (i know people say that so take it as you wish)and admittedly the tan part of my arm didnt hurt that much (and the artist started there) but he swap sides, so one line on the tougher skin, then on the soft skin side.

Oh I'm not saying it's painless! There are some areas which hurt like all hell (inside of wrist, some parts near my underarm and over one particular bone in my shoulder), but overall I get into a 'zone' mentally and kind of enjoy it!

I have a quote on the inside of my wrist in black ink. It is a post from postsecret.com and I'm thinking about getting lyrics from a song on my foot, but in white ink

MintyBiscuit

I’m up to six. Two are pretty lame ones I got at 18 & 19. I have DH’s initials in black on my back, just below my hairline.

The other three were all done by the same artist and she is brilliant. Two fairy wrens, one on each arm, which are my favourite bird and done as a sort of memorial to my grandmother, as growing up there was always a family of wrens in her yard and we would spend ages watching them

50-E23508-B2-CE-4-BF3-8-B2-D-819-EC05-DFEF0.jpg

67-E102-B5-D9-C3-4253-9643-6-D39770-BBF9-B.jpg

My most recent was done about two months ago. It’s taken from the artwork of a song, Machete by Amanda Palmer. It’s a reminder that though death separates us from people, they’re never truly gone. Also I just love how it looks

1701-E9-BF-1-CF7-4-A00-BBCA-723400-EFBEC2.jpg

I have two. One on my hip I had done about 20 years ago. It's basically a balance symbol (to remind me to stay balanced). I also have one on my left wrist. It combines an eternity symbol, a heart and a paw print. They're both black.

I have two more planned. I wanted one done mid last year, but Covid shut down my tattooist. I've seen a paw print design with watercolour splashes that I love. Maybe on my ankle.

And on my shoulder blade I want a small Tinkerbell. Yes, I'm an adult and I love Tinkerbell (and Eeyore actually). I collect Tink stuff so I really want a tattoo of her.

I haven't got one yet. I'm planning on getting one for my son. It will either be a deer or an octopus. His name means deer and there's a lot of symbolism tied up in them for me. An octopus is his favourite toy and at this point quite symbolic of him to the point other people send me octopus stuff and there are children who know him as the octopus baby.

I don't want his name written out or his portrait, I want a reference.

It will be probably in black and white.

Tattoos are NOT done in my culture but I want something for him, after he's gone, on my body that isn't just the C-section scar. The scar is "had a baby" the art is specifically him.

It's probably good I like so many animal/plant/nature names. Because having done that for one child I would have to keep doing it to be fair probably.

However until I started looking at flash I had no idea how many deer tatts are hunting tatts and how many octopus ones are like monstrous krakens eating ships. Not doing those.

I haven't got one yet. I'm planning on getting one for my son. It will either be a deer or an octopus. His name means deer and there's a lot of symbolism tied up in them for me. An octopus is his favourite toy and at this point quite symbolic of him to the point other people send me octopus stuff and there are children who know him as the octopus baby.

I don't want his name written out or his portrait, I want a reference.

It will be probably in black and white.

Tattoos are NOT done in my culture but I want something for him, after he's gone, on my body that isn't just the C-section scar. The scar is "had a baby" the art is specifically him.

It's probably good I like so many animal/plant/nature names. Because having done that for one child I would have to keep doing it to be fair probably.

However until I started looking at flash I had no idea how many deer tatts are hunting tatts and how many octopus ones are like monstrous krakens eating ships. Not doing those.

Oh gosh, I wish I had your words.

This is what it all is for me.

Have you tried Instagram for inspiration? Thats where I found mine.

[mention]la di dah[/mention] a friend of mine is obsessed with octopuses and has been looking for octopus tattoo ideas for a little while. I'll ask her if she's come across any non-monstrous kraken ones in her search.

Advertisement