IGNORED

DS Has Weird Reaction To Vaccine!

ImperatorFuriosa

ImperatorFuriosa

DS11 had vaccines given at school the other day. HPV and dTpa and the arm that had the dTpa injected in to has got a weird reaction going on. I noticed yesterday arvo when I picked him up that there was a swelling the size of a 20c and I took him the nearest doctor she looked him over and wasn't concerned. This morning this is what it looks like and it's bigger! I'm in the Perth Lockdown and I dunno what I should do.

IMG-20210424-103453621.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• ImperatorFuriosa

• Mrs Zee

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that tetanus??

If so I react like that to tetanus, doc says it’s common and when I have mentioned it to people, lots of people also have it happen... It should go away in a couple of days. If it’s sore, some Panadol works.

If it doesn’t go in a couple of days, see a doc again.

Living Type

Not weird, swelling and redness like that is common for me. I had flu shot last week and mine has only just gone back to normal now

When my DD had hers when young her whole arm swelled from elbow to shoulder and was red. The doctor wasn't worried and said future immunisations should be done deeper??? something about larger muscle or some such thing.

Is it painful? I’d give him some panadol and keep and eye on it.

It's painful and itchy.

You could give an antihistamine too. See how it goes, it really shouldn’t last long.

Did the place you had the vaccination done give you a leaflet?

It will have on it what side effects are possible and what to do for each.

Injection site reactions are a common and well known side effect of vaccines. Particularly so for some, like the tetanus one (see here: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/tetanus).

You could call health direct as PP has suggested, if you still feel worried.

Did the place you had the vaccination done give you a leaflet?

It will have on it what side effects are possible and what to do for each.

Injection site reactions are a common and well known side effect of vaccines. Particularly so for some, like the tetanus one (see here: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/tetanus).

You could call health direct as PP has suggested, if you still feel worried.

Definitely this.

It’s so very common, and at 11, it’s been a while since you’ve had to give him a vaccine.

Ok, guess I'm over reacting. lol DS has never had a reaction to a vaccination before.

You’re also a bit frazzled in general. The pen idea is a good one.

Not weird, swelling and redness like that is common for me. I had flu shot last week and mine has only just gone back to normal now

I usually get even more of a reaction than that to my flu shot for a few days but this year it's a lot milder (which is great)

VeritasVinumArte

Like others have said very common especially for Tetanus. My Dr explained it as a very strong immune reaction (ie. your body really remembers from last time so is attacking the recently injected portion).

I always get this to anything I have previously been vaccinated for so I requested a testing of my Measles immunity rather than getting an MMR vaccination as I know I had mumps, my immune ratings for German Measles was always over 100x what is considered immune so I was not going for the triple unless I really needed it because I didn’t want the reaction. Well Measles no record of vaccination (born pre scheduled) and mum was sure I never had it I had immunity 300x what was considered immune so happy I didn’t have the booster shot.

My grade 8 boys last year had same reaction for first lot of year 7 shots (as it was dTP) and didn’t have it for the 2nd HPV laster in the year.

Just off topic, since when are they vaccinating 11yos for HPV?

My son is 12yo & he hasn't been done yet.

Year 7 immunisations, done at school. DD2 has hers scheduled for this week.

Like Barrington said its part of the year 7 immunisation program. They come to school here in nsw and give them 2 in year 7 and follow up in year 10.

Public school. Not sure if private is different

ImperatorFuriosa

Public school vaccinations and DS is in year 7 and he will be 12 in June.

Yep yr7 public school vaccination program. My kiddo got his last term. Half the kids were still 11 at that point. Probably 1/4 are still 11 as like the OP we are in WA.

Advertisement