IGNORED

Can't take their own advice?

electric blue

electric blue

If you are paying someone for something and they clearly can't take their own advice would you worry about the quality of their services?

I mean like an obese smoking doctor or a dentist with bad teeth or a unfit personal trainer or a crazy therapist that kind of thing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kallie

• LaFoom

• Lurker

• Seayork2002

Top Posters In This Topic

LemonMyrtle

Aren’t all psychologist a little bit crazy? lol.

No, I wouldn’t generally hold it against them. I do things I say not to do all the time. Often people are so busy helping others or working they don’t have time to help themselves.

MaryanneK

Isn't it a cliche that all psychiatrists are crazy?! I know two psychiatrists IRL and let's just say I feel sorry for their patients.....

Seayork2002

I put it in the category of plumbers who have a toilet problem for weeks, or an electrician living on a house that could do with rewiring, I dont judge them for it

MaryanneK

Aren’t all psychologist a little bit crazy? lol.

No, I wouldn’t generally hold it against them. I do things I say not to do all the time. Often people are so busy helping others or working they don’t have time to help themselves.

Ha ha jinx LM -posted at the same time

I'm pretty sure I've got a card somewhere they gave me when I became a parent that allows me to do just that.

It's the "do as I say not as I do" card :lol:

I don't think so. I do plenty of things to myself I would never recommend to others, it doesn't impact my knowledge. I'd probably respect an obese doctors advice more than a skinny ones in some ways because they'd probably know my struggle and be more empathetic than just the "eat less, exercise more you lazy fuck" vibe I'm used to.

Those that struggled at school can be the best teachers, for instance. And abuse survivors can be amazing resources for other victims, often going into counselling services. Not because they follow everything they should or all the advice they give personally, but because they understand their clients position/ situation/ struggles.

I have a bit of difficulty taking advice in that sort of situation. Financial advisors with no money, unhealthy doctors, it just doesn’t help their credibility...I wouldn’t judge exactly, but if you’re telling me to floss with a mouth full of cavities I’m going to doubt you’ve got any idea what you’re talking about.

MintyBiscuit

I did take umbrage at a previous dr telling me (when I was 17) that I needed to keep an eye on my “puppy fat” as he reached across his large belly to eat his third tim tam of the appointment. But that was probably a bit more complex than just him not practicing what he preached

I wouldn’t go to a hairstylist with bad hair. Beyond that I don’t know that I’ve ever really encountered it so I don’t know how I’d react

I knew a relationships counsellor (very well regarded and in demand speaker at professional colleges) who was just about to leave their third marriage and they were only in their mid 40's.

How many builders homes are ongoing works in progress?

Hahaha so true...

And mechanics whose cars have issues.

I know people who say they deliberately choose overweight doctors because they tend to be less likely to point out weight/diet related stuff unless it's really necessary and then with more compassion than someone who has never experienced weight issues.

I wouldn't choose a personal trainer with a body I don't want to emulate because clearly their training routine isn't likely to work for the outcome I want. And yeah trainers can train for any body type blah blah blah but I'm yet to meet a PT who doesn't have an almost cult like devotion to the type of training they adhere to. And there's nothing wrong with that but you aren't going to get pilates/yoga training results from weight lifting.

I wouldn’t go to a hairstylist with bad hair. Beyond that I don’t know that I’ve ever really encountered it so I don’t know how I’d react

Yeah I think it probably would apply for aesthetic things. If I'm going to someone for makeup or hair or interior decorating advice, I would expect to at least not hate their makeup/hair/interior decorating.

Seayork2002

Thinking more a personal trainer who advices healthy eating and exercise to one client may help their needs and the lose weight but the personal trainer themselves may do the exact same thing but don't lose weight because they have a medical issue that means they can't lose weight.

So would it be fair to judge a personal train just because they are overweight alone?

A financial advisor may have relationship or family issues that are not their fault, should they be judged?

Just examples

I don't usually judge the Dr on how they look as there can be a lot of factors which I rightly know nothing about. But the Dr with the Tim Tams. Wouldn't go back to them.

Financial advisor with money troubles? Hmm, probably not.

Builder with an unfinished home. Meh. A builder with a dodgy home. No thanks.

The difference between they can't do, and as they don't feel like doing when they have got home from work. My PC could do with work as could my website. But I'd rather play games in the evening.

Bornagirl

I don't think so. I do plenty of things to myself I would never recommend to others, it doesn't impact my knowledge. I'd probably respect an obese doctors advice more than a skinny ones in some ways because they'd probably know my struggle and be more empathetic than just the "eat less, exercise more you lazy fuck" vibe I'm used to.

Those that struggled at school can be the best teachers, for instance. And abuse survivors can be amazing resources for other victims, often going into counselling services. Not because they follow everything they should or all the advice they give personally, but because they understand their clients position/ situation/ struggles.

Skinny (as in underweight) or normal?

I have a problem with normal weight people being described as 'skinny', given they're clearly not. As someone who spent their teenage years skin and bone, it turns my stomach when anyone calls me 'skinny', given my BMI is high normal. I'd have to lose 10kg to be 'skinny'.

Skinny (as in underweight) or normal?

I have a problem with normal weight people being described as 'skinny', given they're clearly not. As someone who spent their teenage years skin and bone, it turns my stomach when anyone calls me 'skinny', given my BMI is high normal. I'd have to lose 10kg to be 'skinny'.

I was using the term in the conversational sense which tends to straddle both but i take your point, it wasn't intended to be pejorative.

Even 'normal' weight doctors don't tend to have any idea or empathy and I have a diagnosed condition that results in weight gain/ difficult weight loss. You'd think a medical professional of any size would be able to deal with that properly but I've met very few

I hate when I see health care workers smoking outside the workplace.

Teachers who can't spell or use correct grammar are also hard to respect.

Teachers who can't spell or use correct grammar are also hard to respect.

Would your opinion change if the teacher had dyslexia or dysgraphia, both of which can impact on spelling ability?

Spidey_Senses

I work in IT and sometimes I dont fix minor problems at home immediately - because its like being at work again and I want a break from work. I think actually its more the fact that I dont get much time and space to concentrate with 3 screaming kids...

Spidey_Senses

Yeah I think it probably would apply for aesthetic things. If I'm going to someone for makeup or hair or interior decorating advice, I would expect to at least not hate their makeup/hair/interior decorating.

+1 I avoid hairdressers with dated haircuts because I had an experience in the late 90s where somebody who looked stuck in the 80s gave me a BAD 80s haircut. Didnt suit me and wasnt what I asked for.

Would you get many teachers with dyslexia though? How can they teach spelling etc if they can't do it themselves? Or more like, if they struggle with spelling will they be able to correct a student's own work or recognise it's wrong in the first place?

I'm not that knowledgeable about either condition but yeah, I'd expect my kids' teachers to be able to spell and read and write easily.

Advertisement