IGNORED

Pain after caesarian

amdirel

No, not mine, thank goodness!!

On behalf of a friend, how long does it take for the pain to go away after a caesar? She's still saying her 'insides' hurt, like her whole abdo area, but on the inside. It's been 3 weeks.

Normal? Or not?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• Redchick

• Silverstreak

• ClaudiaCosette

Top Posters In This Topic

Chillipeppers

Normal. Give it 6 weeks before pain stops. Also she may want to go get checked to make sure she doesn’t have an infection, the incision area can get infected.

After my first caesarean I was pretty much fine by 3 weeks. But I had DH at home and my mum so I didn’t have to do anything. With my second I had a longer recovery, at least 6-8 weeks. I had an 18 mth old and not as much help. I had some scans to check everything was ok and it was. Just needed time.

Is she moving around?

It’s okay to still be needing Panadol I think if it helps her move, but no vacuuming, hanging washing, stretching, iykwim?

Pain is normal, but I’d be concerned if it interfered with walking around and picking up baby.

I distinctly remember that it was 5 weeks with my first csection, where I realised I felt “normal”. There is a reason they say 6 weeks for recovery.

Her insides are not only recovering from surgery, with all the trauma caused by the birth ( needing to move stuff, and actually getting the baby out), but her body is also dealing with the changes due to not being pregnant anymore. All her insides going back to normal after been squished, pushed and shoved by having a baby grow in there.

3 weeks is nothing. Problem i found is that once you get past the first week or so, everyone expects you to be back to normal. So many people seem to forget that a csection isn’t just childbirth, it’s a major surgery,

Does she have one of those physio bands for her tummy? (like a stretchy elastic sleeve for your waist). I wore that all day for about 6 weeks as I felt better that everything was being held inside. It also felt like it gave me more protection around my scar. Without it I felt a bit like my insides were jiggling.

I took Nurofen / Panadol on and off for about 4 weeks. If I over-did it during the day (walking up the stairs more than twice a day or bending) I felt more discomfort and would need to rest for a few days. Make sure she's taking it easy around the house

PocketMacrophobia

I had discomfort and aching for a couple of months. Not needing Panadol or similar.

Pain, pain, as in very aware of it and it limiting basic movement was maybe a week? Two? Longer for my second as I was less careful to start off with.

I was told to call the maternity ward/ob if Panadol wasn't enough after the initial week or two.

I don't think longer lasting pain is unusual but it's probably worth checking out.

After about a week or so I didn’t need Panadol for my c-section pain but I did have pain caused by my separated abdominal muscles for a lot longer. If I was her I’d get it checked out.

ClaudiaCosette

I'm so sorry to read about those of you still in pain months or years later. I was definitely better by 6 weeks, but I remember the agonising pain lasted at least 3 weeks. It was like torture getting in and out of bed.

My c-section was with my twins, who were premmie and in NICU, so while I had to make the trip to the hospital every day (by bus or train since I couldn't drive) and wake up to express overnight, I'm sure it wasn't as physically taxing as actually having a newborn to care for at home.

Is she moving around?

It’s okay to still be needing Panadol I think if it helps her move, but no vacuuming, hanging washing, stretching, iykwim?

Pain is normal, but I’d be concerned if it interfered with walking around and picking up baby.

She can potter around the house and pick up baby. But she was hoping to be able to go for walks around the block by now, to avoid going stir crazy indoors!

my pain lasted months and even 10 years after my last one the whole area is still numb and looks awful.

Oh yes she's said about the numbness of the skin. She was hoping it'd go away...

Does she have one of those physio bands for her tummy? (like a stretchy elastic sleeve for your waist). I wore that all day for about 6 weeks as I felt better that everything was being held inside. It also felt like it gave me more protection around my scar. Without it I felt a bit like my insides were jiggling.

Ooh that's a great idea! Thank you, I'll mention it to her.

Thank you everyone for your replies! You've all been very helpful.

For me it took a while, but I developed cellulitis in my c-section site, not fun! Had to go on antibiotics. From memory, pain related to the incision itself went after a few weeks and I stopped taking pain killers after the first week, as I felt I didn't need them.

Eight years later I still have a bit of numbness around the area, which I only really notice occasionally if DS accidentally bumps me whilst lying on me.

I would have thought not being able to walk round the block at that stage was cause for concern. I stayed in hospital for nearly a week both times but was definitely out and about straight after getting home from the hospital. Tiredness was more of a factor than pain at 3 weeks,

Numbness will definitely be there for ages (years!) but agree with PPs that she should be able to walk around a fair bit by now. So sorry to hear of others in pain for such a long time 😞

• 2 months later...

I remember my first cs. It was an emergency one after labouring for quite some time and DS1 was in distress.

The pain and the recovery was horrendous.

With Ds2 he went 10 days over and showed no signs of budging. The location of the cord meant he couldn’t be induced and there was no way I could have birthed him naturally as he was too big.

My recovery was great apart from a Spinal leak which gave me a migraine like head pain for at least 3-4 weeks

I was told that being in labour before a cs can make for quite a bit of pain and recovery can be horrendous. That person was not wrong. Did you labour beforehand?

I think not being able to walk around the block at 3 weeks is probably cause for concern. I’m currently three weeks post my second c-section and I was walking around the block (albeit slowly) by one week, now at three weeks I feel relatively normal and can walk/be on my feet for a good hour or more (and not on any painkillers)..

I still have a bit of tenderness on the skin of my abdomen but very little to no internal pain.

I have only had one c-section and my experience would have put me off going again (lucky I was done having children at that stage) My boys arrived on Friday night after labour started naturally (I'm told this can increase the pain???), my pain didn't hit the worst stage until the following Thursday. I was on painkillers for the first month, round the clock, if I missed them I knew about it. I didn't have a pain free day until about 5 months after - some of this may have been self inflicted - new born twins, 2 older kids, school runs/sports/self employed etc etc. Nearly 15 years later my lower abdomen is still numb

Advertisement