IGNORED

Growing up- how did that happen?

Over and out

DS finished his final year12 exam last week, and turns 18 in a couple of weeks.

He seemingly has suddenly grown up, and so so so wants his independence, which is great.

Sadly he has still lots of hours still to do to get his licence, but so now ready to move on. He never had a part time job, but now working hard to make that happen, upgraded his first aid to level 2, and does his pool life guard quals later in the week.

It is so exciting to have this young adult.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusty

• Over and out

• Seayork2002

• Kshy

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sometimes I look at ds and think I remember his babyness but then stop and think he is growing into a wonderful young man, sure has his moments but still proud of him

mumsytobigones

I also find young adults exciting, coming out of the shitty teenage years and starting to grow into the adults they will become.

It’s also a hard time though as you see them making mistakes but they need to learn by living. Very hard to sit back though. No control like in the teenage years. Stuff like you know their uni choice is not suited but they are adamant. Then 3 years later they realise they want to go another direction - to the one you would have picked for them in the beginning and they blew off. Only 3 years of wasted HECS.

My DD should have just graduated year 12 but she had another path in life destined for her. I took her to the park where everyone goes before the formal to take photos and with luck the only person she wanted to see (due to a recent 'ex' issue) was there early. She had tears, I had quiet tears and we left before she was further overwhelmed.

School life suck, adult life seems easier. DS just finished his 3rd of 5 year degree, it's strange a few of his friends just finished their degree this year. DD seems to be doing okay, I just can't wait until next year when she starts up uni again post covid - she started this year and only went for 3 weeks, the supports the uni had in place could not happen and DD would never cope online so she deferred for the year. She has been in such a bad spot this year until recently so it's great if she can get to uni and make some like minded friends.

Growing up has been hard for DD, DS did okay and found school to uni transition scary at first but he has managed, getting a part time job stacking shelves was great for him! although he gets smashed at assessment and exam times which is stressful. As he is a kid that never goes out and lives in his room getting such a physical job has been great for him, he is stronger, fitter and healthier than he has ever been.

I have the same situation here OP, and yes it's just been all of a sudden! I thought it would be weird to have him not in school anymore, but it's not, as he just seems *different* and grown up now.

He now comes and goes with his friends, not just outings but just "going for a drive". He went to the pub for the first time last week. He hasn't gotten his license yet due to health issues but gets himself around on public transport just fine. He's doing some casual work at the moment which he organised all himself.

Now we're just waiting for the uni offer! He's calm and confident, I'm freaking out!!

Congrats to everyone with the grownups!

DS17 is just sleeping half the day and waiting, much to DP’s chagrin. This year really stunted things socially, and friends drawn from many suburbs also makes catch-ups harder.

But I like spending time with him and love the earnestness of his social and political views, which are typical of both his family and his school.

Another one with DD finished year 12 last week, has just started a part time job but only had a few shifts. She is a bit lost at the moment, her friendship group don’t catch up a lot out of school so this year has been hard for that, she also does high level sport and her friends are not sporty so not sure how long these friends will last. She is really looking forward to uni but that’s a while away

DS finished his final year12 exam last week, and turns 18 in a couple of weeks.

He seemingly has suddenly grown up, and so so so wants his independence, which is great.

Sadly he has still lots of hours still to do to get his licence, but so now ready to move on. He never had a part time job, but now working hard to make that happen, upgraded his first aid to level 2, and does his pool life guard quals later in the week.

It is so exciting to have this young adult.

Congrats on your DS!

Re log book driving hours, I realise they’re quite expensive, but the one day driver’s course is worth triple hours and the first twenty hours with a professional instructor are worth double hours, so that’s potentially fifty hours off the log book. Not suggesting this to get around the logbook but they are also worthwhile in themselves (particularly the course) if parents can afford it.

Night driving hours are really hard to achieve in summer. We were out one night at around 11pm midsummer and were pulled over by the police. They said they always have a high suspicion of a drunk parent when they see an L driver at that time of the night. I said most kids are trying to get their log book finished over the summer holidays when it doesn’t get dark until past 8pm, so driving at 11pm to log the compulsory night hours is to be expected. They were quite nice even if they did almost give poor DD a heart attack when they used their siren to get her to pull over.

mumsytobigones

Apparently now instructor hours in vic are not double anymore

That’s a shame. I always thought it made sense to give this more credit, together with the defensive driving course. Wonder what was behind that change?

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to all our Yr12 kids

To avoid any unnecessary angst on the day of your kid going for their driver’s license, if they have used the manual log book and the Vic Roads app I would suggest your kid brings along the manual log book as well - even if they have over 120 hours on the app that is over and above the manual log book hours. My DD had a very stressful start to her testing because she didn’t have the manual log book with her.

She passed and is living her best life (her words) lol

Sorry I can’t help you [mention]Kadoodle[/mention] however your DD sounds pretty cool.

My kid got her license at the start of the month, pretty much I’ve hardly seen her, two schoolie weeks and now she’s house sitting with a friend... I’m feeling needy

My DD1 has finished all her exams, and is catching up on her sleep. She’s put in her preferences for uni and has set herself a challenge of reading one book set in each country on earth. She’s struggling to find some of the Balkan and Central African countries, if anyone has suggestions.

The No.1 lady detective series by Alistair Mcall Smith (please check the proper details of this first though)

My DD1 has finished all her exams, and is catching up on her sleep. She’s put in her preferences for uni and has set herself a challenge of reading one book set in each country on earth. She’s struggling to find some of the Balkan and Central African countries, if anyone has suggestions.

The No.1 lady detective series by Alistair Mcall Smith (please check the proper details of this first though)

Or if she is up for a real challenge, The Poisonwood Bible?

• 3 weeks later...
AprilEthereal

I also hear you. JRA. I will always remember DH's dear Nanna saying to me the days can be long but the years fly by. She wasn't wrong. In what feels like a blink of the eye, my three have grown up before my eyes. DD is studying her second course and is working in her first field of qualification. DS1 has just completed his first year at uni and has two jobs and DS2 is in year 12 this year and also has two jobs. They are all at home, and late last year, DD's boyfriend also moved in so we have a full house. I love it. There's DH, me, dd, ds1 & ds2, dd's boyfriend, 2 guinea pigs and one dog.

• 2 weeks later...

My baby is getting married this year to his long term partner who I have known now for over 11 years. They have both developed into wonderful human beings which is all a parent can hope for. I don't know where those years have gone!!

• 1 month later...

DS has little on campus this week for orientation. There was something yesterday but he had a part time job interview so didn't make it.

But really looking forward to being on campus next week.

Mine has done 2 days of classes this week.

Very proud of him handling the stress (his enrolment process had some complications).

He's also joined one of the clubs at uni and went into the city for dinner to meet them. He doesn't usually put himself out there like that.

So all is well on that front.

Finally got him to apply for youth allowance so that he stops asking for money from me for everything.

I'm just trying to get him to understand he needs to pick up a bit more housework seeing as he's home all the time!

[mention]Kadoodle[/mention] my friend’s DD is living on campus too, good on her, you must have raised her well.

Living away from home is too soon for this needy mother of one xx

Zlata's Diary - set in Sarajevo during the war. It's YA so likely a bit young for her, but the only one I can think of from the Balkans!

Just curious to hear what all of our 2020 Yr12 grads are up too.

My DD is doing Orientation this week, on campus!!! Wonderful

DS17 has been doing so, so, many Uni gatherings - faculty organised, faculty soc organised and then just catching up with other freshers. Nothing much actually on campus yet.

Advertisement