IGNORED

We love Nagi and cooking from Recipetineats

TheGreenSheep

We had the sausage and veg tray bake last night. Wasn’t a hit with the family but they ate it.

Perfect for me because I’ve been in a meal planning and cooking slump. I’ve been busy, tired and lacking enthusiasm. The tray bake was easy, tasty and I found it really nourishing comfort food. I forgot about it and haven’t made it in years but it’s now back on our rotation.

I tried the kale, pomegranate and blue cheese salad tonight. DH and I loved it...kids not so much. But more excitingly I think I finally found good sausages here in the states. Only took 12 years!

Stuffed Olive

While I was considering whether I shake my coconut milk, I remembered making Nagi's Beef Rendang the other day. I made it with oyster blade and if you like a spicy curry it was excellent!.

The ingredient list is long and the notes go on forever, but, like most of her recipes, it was very easy. I used a 10g packet of gourmet garden lightly dried chillies, lemongrass paste rather than fresh and extra ginger (3 tbsp total) instead of galangal in the spice paste. Instead of leaving it on the stovetop I put it in the oven, but slow cooker would be ideal.

I've also made her Chicken Tikka Masala and that was a success.

Cheese_Toastie

I make a version of Nagi's chicken and rice in my electric pressure cooker. I use powdered chicken masala and basmati rice. I use the rice:liquid ratio on the rice packet rather than Nagi's measurement. Takes about 30 mins start to finish (cooking for 1 person) and tastes great too.

DH loves Nagi's Chop Suey (Chicken Stir Fry).

I've substituted the chicken with some skirt steak I saw at a good price and he prefers that to the chicken but loves both. DD of course prefers the chicken so I try to alternate each time I cook it.

I made her Cheese & Bacon Strata Cake this week. Except I did it in a lasagna dish instead of a cake tin. That way I could just put it straight in the oven from the fridge. One less thing to wash up.

Kids & DH really liked it. I thought it was nice but not amazing. Served it for dinner (instead of breakfast) with a green salad on the side.

We like that one too. Very good with noodles as well.

Her cashew nut chicken is also good, as is the beef and broccoli stir fry.

I keep the Charlie Brown sauce in the fridge for wing it stir fries too.

TheGreenSheep

Ah that is such a childhood memory for me. We loved her Chop Suey ( I also just like saying chop suey :lol: )

My meal plan for the week is all Nagi! I was feeling so uninspired and the pantry was almost empty so I scrolled through her site, picked a few favourites and wrote my shopping list.

We had quick chicken tacos last night. Great for a night when the family eats in shifts due to sports training. The rest of the week will be chicken biryani, chilli mac and cheese and stuffed chicken breasts with sweet potato mash and steamed veg.

• 2 weeks later...

This was quite good. I didn’t measure the pepper exactly. Just ground a lot. It wasn’t spicy.

https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-beef-with-honey-and-black-pepper-sauce/

Children liked it, but didn’t like the sauce.

I served with rice and choppy salad for them. Very small florets of broccoli and sliced green beans steamed for me. Will make again.

Hills Mum Bec

This was quite good. I didn’t measure the pepper exactly. Just ground a lot. It wasn’t spicy.

https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-beef-with-honey-and-black-pepper-sauce/

Children liked it, but didn’t like the sauce.

I served with rice and choppy salad for them. Very small florets of broccoli and sliced green beans steamed for me. Will make again.

I have made that before and everybody loved it.

Nagi's Butter Chicken was on the menu last night. I will have to remember next time to dial down the salt. It tastes fine when I taste a spoonful of the sauce by itself straight from the pan but find it a bit salty while eating it as a meal. When I was eating it last night I remembered thinking the same thing last time I made it but I had forgotten.

TheGreenSheep

Nagi's Butter Chicken was on the menu last night. I will have to remember next time to dial down the salt. It tastes fine when I taste a spoonful of the sauce by itself straight from the pan but find it a bit salty while eating it as a meal. When I was eating it last night I remembered thinking the same thing last time I made it but I had forgotten.

I do that too!

I think I cook a Nagi recipe weekly. My favourite was when I had unexpected guests from interstate.

I cooked this in the pressure cooker https://www.recipetineats.com/middle-eastern-shredded-lamb-with-chickpea-pilaf-rice/

I did the lamb first in the stainless steel pot, whipped that out when done and did the rice pilaf in the non stick pot.

Served up with a side of salad with tons of tomato and coriander in it.

My guests were raving about it for weeks and seriously little effort went into it.

I made this last weekend as a tester for Christmas cake - https://www.recipetineats.com/christmas-cake-moist-easy-fruit-cake/

Despite leaving it in a draft overnight it stayed quite moist. I tested 1/3 of it on workmates and have frozen 1/3 for 'ron.

Am making another before Christmas.

I have one currently cooking in the oven. I substituted normal flour for gluten free flour.

I made them both with normal flour and GF flour last year for Christmas gifts and they were a huge hit.

Advertisement