IGNORED

How did you tell your partner you were pregnant?

seemingly

ClaudiaCosette

I just showed him the stick each time - it was always early morning and he was still in bed, so it never quite registered with him until he was more awake, and then he was happy.

We were actively trying and at the time I was pretty in tune with my body so was feeling a bit off, like nauseous with some stomach cramping. I bought the stick but thought it might be too early to tell at 3 weeks. We went to bed, but I couldn't sleep as I was too excited and ended up peeing on the stick. When it came back positive I ran into our bedroom - it was about 2am and turned the light on, yelled at hubby to wake up and shoved the stick in his face and screamed 'I'm pregnant". He was startled after having been woken up and drowsy so he said ok and went back to sleep. I waited to tell our parents at the 12 week mark and gave them baby onesies with baby's due date and at 4 months marked that by having a gender reveal where I gave them cupcakes with pink inside.

He told me. First one, I took a pregnancy test first thing, waited for the right amount of time and it was negative so went back to bed, told him and fell asleep. He went to the bathroom himself, looked at the stick and it was a very faint positive. Next two, he guessed before I had taken the tests because I kept falling asleep on the couch while the kids were watching ABC for Kids in the late afternoon when I should have been preparing dinner. My earliest symptom for all three was overwhelming exhaustion and the ability to fall asleep at any given moment, so I did have an obvious tell!!

From a public phone box to a landline. Those were the days.

I was on medication I had to come off the instant I was pregnant, so had a bunch of blood test forms for being a day overdue. Only had to use one, which was a bit of a shock, first month at 38.

I had to call them at a certain time and they asked if I was sitting down, so I knew from that.

First one I told him when he got home from work. He had been busting to have a baby so he was pretty excited.

With my second pregnancy I was feeling sick and the medication I was about to take said I couldn't take while pregnant. I POAS and didn't realise that two lines meant positive and said that I wasn't pregnant. DH disagreed and I flamboyantly pulled the instructions out of the recycling bin and waved them in his face to prove I was right and he knew nothing. But then I sort of went "oh" and it could have been a lot more exciting. I had no idea that I was pregnant that time but I had been off birth control.

Squeekums that is an amazing story.

#1 i just did a test and showed him. I think we were both in shock lol, we both sat there the rest of the night randomly going "sh*t", or "f**k" in disbelief haha.

#2 I think i just showed him the test

#3 I sent #1 down with the test lol and the first thing he's said is "are you shitting me" lol, not surprising since #2 was only just 6 months old.

#4 I actually took a test and then warned him I might be and took the second test and told him. Wasn't sure how he was going to take that one, but it was all good

Friday night after work I ran out and brought a test. It had 2 faint lines, so I called the ex whom was out drinking with the boys.

He refused to answer my calls so I text messaged him. He called. I told him and he went back to drinking and still has not stopped after 12 years.

I kept passing out in a hot yoga class while on leave from work. Our instructor thought I must be working too hard.

I thought I'd better see the GP as I have super low blood pressure and had been feeling a little off. She said let's just do a pregnancy test. I scoffed and of course and it came up positive. Turns out both contraceptives failed.

I went home and burst into tears while telling my partner, after he stepped through the door from work. It was totally unplanned and unexpected.

I think with #2 and #3 I just told him I was pregnant but with #1 I went to a bit of effort.

It was back in 2004 and there was a similar thread on the old EB, someone asking for fun ideas on how to make the announcement. A few people replied with suggestions and I basically copied one of them. I bought a teddy bear and a little card. I wrote in the card "Please look after me and bring me to North Shore Private Hospital when my new owner is born in July 2005" I wrapped them both up together and gave them to DH. I can't really remember his exact reaction but he was pretty excited, we had been trying for a baby for over 5 years.

It was the first Grandchild on both sides of the family and I told my Mum I was pregnant on Christmas Day. She lives interstate so I just told her when I phoned on Christmas Morning. She hadn't been very feeling very well so I said that I had some news that would cheer her up, that next Christmas there would be another person to to buy a present for. Mum is a retired midwife who adores babies, she worked out what I meant straight away and she was SO excited. I phoned her a few days after Christmas to ask if she'd had a good day (they went to my Grandma's for lunch) and she told me the spark of joy she had inside after I told her about the baby had made it the best Christmas ever.

Ahhh nice memories.

I POAS just before dinner and then over roast chicken told my DH. I will never forget DH spitting out his roast chicken and crying at the same time. I think he was just a tad overwhelmed.

I POAS just before dinner and then over roast chicken told my DH. I will never forget DH spitting out his roast chicken and crying at the same time. I think he was just a tad overwhelmed.

The day after we found out we went to a day trip to Hull (uk) and we walked around like zombies, then the day after went to a drop in clinic as we had no idea what the process was ie did I have to have a blood test or whatever then we called everyone that night

We weren't unhappy or anything just dazed and confused as we were not really ever thinking of it

Our first assisted ART preg I POAT at 5.30 in the morning, after 7 years of trying it was a beautiful moment in our lives together, we made love.

2 years later with my gawd wonderful kid, I honestly can’t remember telephoning my ex husband to let him know we were pregnant , I was at work when I received the call ... everything was such a blurh

edit: my Kid Is 18: and driving... fork!

I'm a single.mum so didn't get to tell a partner. But the day of my 13 week scan I called basically my whole extended family (close family already knew). I did a video call with my nephews and niece and asked them if I had looked different the day before at lunch. They had nothing, so I asked if maybe my tummy was getting a bit bigger? And my niece.(who was 9) shrieks "are you pregnant?!?"). And there was much excitement from her and the older nephew, and the younger one refused to acknowledge it (as he had been the baby in the family until then) until I was about 7 months along and he finally said "by aunty greenbean, bye baby" and hugged my tummy

I can't remember, it's 24 years ago! Probably nothing out of the ordinary, it took me years to decide if I wanted kids so probably had to digest it myself first.

I only did the cute thing for the last pregnancy (which turned out to be twins). We had just started trying so it wasn't unexpected, but still a surprise it happened so quickly.

I put a tiny little pair of socks on his pillow... he found them when he came home from work and walked back out of our room with a huge smile!

• 2 months later...

I dressed DS up in a skivvy that I decorated with "Big Brother March 2019" and slyly dressed him in it in time for DH to get home from work.

DH had had a busy day and didn't notice the shirt at all! He was spoon feeding DS (no bib on) and didn't read it 🤦‍♀️

I had to tell him as we were cleaning up after dinner

ImperatorFuriosa

With DS18 I realised after 2 months I hadn't had a period, (way to go lol). This is back in the day when both of us took public transport, so on the way home from the city I mentioned I might be pregnant. He got off at his mums house I continued on home. I stopped in at the local chemist and bought a test, hopped on the next bus for home. I did the test, yup, I was pregnant. I rang dp and he couldn't say anything but he was excited. Lol

DS11 is a different matter. It took 5 years to get pregnant. I literally gave up hope. Then one day I felt "weird", it felt like period discomfort then it stopped, the next day same thing happened. Then it dawned on me. I got really excited and told DP and I went to the supermarket to buy a test. It was positive. DP was cooking dinner and I came out and told him. Then for the next 2 days I peed on 10 tests to make sure. :roll: I went to the gp on Monday and yep. Happy days.

Bornagirl

I was on a category D medication which I had to come off the instant I was pregnant, and back in the early 90s that involved a blood test one day overdue (I knew my cycle well). Doctor gave me a bunch of pathology forms but just needed the first one. Just rang and told him.

1st time around he asked me if I was sure I wasn’t pregnant after I threw up my coffee 3rd day running. I had already told him I couldn’t be because I got my period, it turns out it was implantation bleeding. I tested while he was out with a mate. Told him the second I got him alone.

2nd time around I did the test while he took our eldest to her swimming lesson, told him the second I saw him. Couldn’t hold it in.

No.3 is No.2s twin. We found out about her together when they did an ultrasound. Though he was more unsuspecting than me - the doc had said I was measuring bigger than I should have been for how far along I was, and I was pretty sure I was in fact 9 weeks not 19 weeks pregnant

First three DP was with me, for the 4th I had some tests still at home and took one while DP was at work. He had really pissed me off and I told him the next day while he was out shopping then hung up on him! (I was still mad at him)

With our first, we were just so surprised/shocked that it happened the first month that we stopped preventative measures. Although we planned it, well let nature take its course, we thought it would take a bit longer and have more time to prepare mentally. Second happened just as quickly. I was on meds that I couldn’t be on while during the early stages of pregnancy and my neurologist wanted me to wait until 1 month after I had taken the last of these drugs (just to be sure). Well it was not quite 4 weeks when we conceived first time again. Whoops! It was a case of stopping breastfeeding DD1 before I could begin the transition to the new meds, before completely coming off my original meds which I had to be off for a month before conceiving again.

Advertisement