IGNORED

Bed wetting alarm recommendations

Purpleblaze

DS is nearly 8 and still wetting the bed most nights even in pull ups. He's a deep sleeper and drinks tons of water throughout the day - even his teacher commented on the amount he drinks.

We've had his urine checked and that's all good so the GP says it's time to try the sleep alarm.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one/what type to purchase? I can hire one from the RCH but it might pay to purchase one to use on DD when her time comes.

TI A

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karlee99

• Zogee

• Purpleblaze

• Trampoline

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried a Malem wearable alarm for my youngest but he is such a heavy sleeper he would pull the clip off his jocks and go right back to sleep unless I pushed him to get up.

We are now 7 weeks into a bell and pad alarm that we’ve hired from our local continence clinic. Last week he got up and when I was drying off the pad he peed into the washing basket! He had no memory of any of it the next morning.

We’re dealing with this too, my son is nine in a week or so and wets every night quite heavily. Previously we saw the continence nurse and borrowed one for free but it might be a good idea to buy one! My son didn’t follow the steps very well when he was younger (eg: drink enough water, keep track of bowel movements etc) so it wasn’t very successful. I’m hoping he’s more motivated this time!

Not Escapin Xmas

We have used a Roger. In fact, am happy to mail it to anyone who needs it, we are mostly done.

DD is nearly 10. She still wets every few weeks, but wakes up instantly when it happens now so it’s easier to deal with. (And we permanently have a brolly sheet on her bed).

We used a Malem alarm for both of our kids, they were both 8-9 y/o at the time and were both dry within a week or two of using it.

WIth DD it was one that you clip the sensor to their underpants and the alarm was a separate wireless unit that you put on the bedside table next to them. For DS who was a heavier sleeper we used the one that has the alarm connected to the sensor unit and then you clip the alarm to their PJs near their head. The alarm vibrates and makes a noise so is more likely to wake a heavy sleeper.

Also, we followed the recommended program of drinking and toileting for 2-3 weeks before starting to use the alarm (to expand bladder capacity etc). Finally, we put a pull-up over their undies to avoid having to change bedding when they had an accident - made it far less stressful.

Our experience with an alarm was not very successful. DS was a late trainer and a deep sleeper so the alarm just distressed him so much and did nothing to help....though most seem to have success

[mention]Karlee99[/mention] how did he go in the end, are you still having issues?

I am a bit concerned for my ds as he soaks his pull ups every night and he’s nearly 9. GP & Paed haven’t been overly concerned...

Saw our paed again yesterday and he really wants us to try the alarm, so we’re going to have bite the bullet. He thinks he’s going to need the medication, but the PBS requires the alarm to used for 3 mths prior to prescribing it.

We might try the in pants one as he seems to be quite the active sleeper.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I spoke to the RCH who gave me some advice and recommended the Malam brand if I was to buy one, and not to bother with too many bells & whistles.

Otherwise they said to adhere to the steps (fully wake child, don’t change drinking habits etc) for up to 8 weeks, where about 80% of children are trained.

@Karlee99 how did he go in the end, are you still having issues?

I am a bit concerned for my ds as he soaks his pull ups every night and he’s nearly 9. GP & Paed haven’t been overly concerned...

He is now 14+ and I will admit it took a long time - despite trying everything the incontinence clinic suggested time was the only thing that helped. He did have the added issue of serious constipation which also took a long time to sort out, once he got there the bed wetting improved and he was dry overnight.....but he was about 13 before that happened 100% of the time.

We might try the in pants one as he seems to be quite the active sleeper.

Is that the kind that clip onto the undies/pj's? It seems to take forever, but I hope you can get some success

@Karlee99 how did he go in the end, are you still having issues?

He is now 14+ and I will admit it took a long time - despite trying everything the incontinence clinic suggested time was the only thing that helped. He did have the added issue of serious constipation which also took a long time to sort out, once he got there the bed wetting improved and he was dry overnight.....but he was about 13 before that happened 100% of the time.

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

Advertisement