As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

Look I agree with you in essence, Badcat. It doesn’t sit right with me. Buttttt.... unfortunately, there is enough of the population who don’t have critical thinking skills, and will look to their leader to do the thinking for them. And unfortunately these are the people that could potentially be swayed the opposite way by the anti vax scene... I hate that he’s jumped the queue by virtue of being the leader and having to for the sake of instilling confidence in the public, but, here we are. It’s often been said here and on the old site that we are a bit of an echo chamber, and don’t hear a lot from other walks of life and I guess the reality is that there’s enough people in the community who would be convinced by this show.

Doesn’t mean I consider him to be an essential worker in a frontline sense - both the US and the UK have had their leaders unwell with it (caveat- Donald’s episode could possibly have just been a stunt) and they have gotten on with things in their absence. It wouldn’t be ideal for him to get sick with it, but someone would hold the fort. So, yeah, I agree on that front.

Is there any indication what kind of health conditions would qualify a person for 1b?

I’m waiting on this too. All I’ve found so far is this

“ • People with pre-existing underlying select medical conditions

People with certain underlying pre-existing medical conditions are reported to be at increased risk of severe outcomes with COVID-19 compared with healthy individuals of the same age. These at-risk medical conditions include, but are not limited

to, immunocompromised, multiple comorbidities, chronic lung disease, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and severe obesity.”

Taken from here

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/11/atagi-preliminary-advice-on-general-principles-to-guide-the-prioritisation-of-target-populations-in-a-covid-19-vaccination-program-in-australia_0.pdf

I must admit there is a cynical part of me that thinks they haven’t announced clear guidelines because they’re waiting to see how many doses they actually get

Yes, I had assumed with the last minute change with Scummo and others being publicly vaccinated and it being brought forward was in response to all the anti vaccination marches in major Australian cities.

Those marches received a lot of coverage in the media and made it onto the front page of the BBC news site.

Anti vaccinators definitely tend to make capital out of high profile people not appearing to vaccinate. I always remember back in the UK years ago, Cherie Blair (Tony Blair’s wife) refused to say if she had given their kids the MMR injection. That was quite damaging to the confidence in the vaccine at that time.

Despite my earlier post, I do see why he had it. But I think having the more effective Pfizer jab won't really help with the majority of people who won't have access to that one, they'll still be hesitant I feel.

I understand why Morrison and a bipartisan show of support for vaccination is important.

I think it would have been more beneficial for vaccination rates and confidence if he had been the first to have the AZ vaccine since it will be the one more Australians have and there’s the questions over its efficacy AND the issue of the cells that cultured the virus used to make the vaccine was from an aborted foetus.

If our religious Prime Minister had that vaccine, I would believe it was about inspiring confidence in the community. As it is, I’m very cynical about his motivations for anything he does or says.

I actually personally think Ardern made the wrong call on this one, which pains me as I love her. But with the caveat being that I don’t know what the community sentiment is like in NZ - perhaps because she already has more widespread trust and respect than Scott, it won’t be received the same.

I have to agree with you. Polls already show that only 64% will get vaccinated in NZ, and the most not happy are Maori women with at least one child. 24% want to wait and see. Lead by example has to happen. I would had Adhern plus Maori women leaders front and centre.

It’s going around Facebook that anti-vaxxers are saying he forgot to have the cap removed for the fake photo. It’s the little orange part between the needle and the plastic bit holding the vaccine.

Despite my earlier post, I do see why he had it. But I think having the more effective Pfizer jab won't really help with the majority of people who won't have access to that one, they'll still be hesitant I feel.

I understand why Morrison and a bipartisan show of support for vaccination is important.

I think it would have been more beneficial for vaccination rates and confidence if he had been the first to have the AZ vaccine since it will be the one more Australians have and there’s the questions over its efficacy AND the issue of the cells that cultured the virus used to make the vaccine was from an aborted foetus.

If our religious Prime Minister had that vaccine, I would believe it was about inspiring confidence in the community. As it is, I’m very cynical about his motivations for anything he does or says.

Maybe, but really, if people are going to be so easily influenced by the prime minister getting the vaccine so they will, are they the people who have looked that closely into it? More likely to be an influence on people who are simply saying no vaccination on principle without looking into the details (and yes, there are a lot of them)

The ones who are anti vac due to actually looking into what’s in the vaccine etc are less likely to be automatically swayed by a publicity shot.

The prime minister getting it was symbolic. Nice idea to get the leader of the opposition as well, showing a united front about vaccination. But nothing more really.

If it had been a queue of politicians, I would see it as queue jumping, but that doesn’t appear to be happening - I know the nsw premier has declined, and is waiting her turn.

Maybe, but really, if people are going to be so easily influenced by the prime minister getting the vaccine so they will, are they the people who have looked that closely into it? More likely to be an influence on people who are simply saying no vaccination on principle without looking into the details (and yes, there are a lot of them)

The ones who are anti vac due to actually looking into what’s in the vaccine etc are less likely to be automatically swayed by a publicity shot.

The prime minister getting it was symbolic. Nice idea to get the leader of the opposition as well, showing a united front about vaccination. But nothing more really.

If it had been a queue of politicians, I would see it as queue jumping, but that doesn’t appear to be happening - I know the nsw premier has declined, and is waiting her turn.

Maybe if you are a 30 year old woman who is on social media.

But if you are elderly it can make a difference to see leaders get vaccinated.

My elderly mother is not anti vax but was nervous, not helped by my anti vax sister.

I do know my mother was really inspired by the publicity about the first people who got their vaccines in the UK. She was also curious to know if the queen was getting it.

My mother wouldn't be the type to "research" into vaccine ingredients. But people of her age can get spooked and do get more confident if they see prominent and inspiring people or others their age getting the vaccine.

I think this was why the first vaccine recipient was a WW2 veteran too. It's not just a coincidence.

One of the first to get their vaccine in the UK was a William Shakespeare from Warwickshire.

Edited by Iamferalz

Happy V(accine) Day Victorians. Our rollout officially starts today!

I’m excited. Once we ring fence hotel quarantine with vaccinated staff, I can finally be confident that repeated lockdowns won’t happen. (Until a mutation sneaks past, but lets not think about that)

My brother isn't anit vax but he is nervous about this one. Mostly due to how quickly it has been rushed out - he has concerns it hasn't gone through enough testing.

Strangely enough I saw him yesterday morning and he said he thought Scomo and other politicians should be the first. So I was happy to text him and let him know they were.

I think Greg Hunt is getting the AZ vaccine this week. Hopefully that will be sufficient to allay some concerns. Oh, and Brendan Murphy too.

I don’t have concerns about the AZ vaccine (and it’s likely that’s the one I will end up having when it’s my turn), but for the people who have concerns about the use of aborted cells, I think having our PM who is clearly religious, take that vaccine would have been a vote of confidence. That would have been leading by example.

I’m also interested that aged care workers don’t have to have the covid vaccine unlike flu vaccines. It’s not an issue of not wanting to mandate it because they do with the flu vaccine. I wonder why when it’s been shown to be one of the riskiest areas with covid and mortality.

I suspect they won't mandate the vax for aged care workers because any hint of it being mandatory in any setting will bring out more opposition.

I agree that if Scott wanted to inspire confidence he should have gotten the AZ not the Pfizer. He's probably not even entitled to the Pfizer based on the governments own rules of who gets what.

So what side effects are they saying people are experiencing?

It can cause the usual- aching at the site, headache, fever, muscle aches etc

Are they usual side effects for a vaccine? Other than soreness at the site, I’d never heard of any of those.

Exactly all of this. I would be more impressed if Scottyfrommarketing had received the lesser AZ vaccine that all us plebs have no choice but to take.

I think Greg Hunt is getting the AZ vaccine this week. Hopefully that will be sufficient to allay some concerns. Oh, and Brendan Murphy too.

I don’t have concerns about the AZ vaccine (and it’s likely that’s the one I will end up having when it’s my turn), but for the people who have concerns about the use of aborted cells, I think having our PM who is clearly religious, take that vaccine would have been a vote of confidence. That would have been leading by example.

I’m also interested that aged care workers don’t have to have the covid vaccine unlike flu vaccines. It’s not an issue of not wanting to mandate it because they do with the flu vaccine. I wonder why when it’s been shown to be one of the riskiest areas with covid and mortality.

I think with the flu vaccine, it is easier to mandate because the vaccine (in some form) has been around for a while and proven itself.

The Covid one is harder - it’s new, from the public perspective it was developed very fast, and that makes people more nervous.

I also think our positive status with virus works against us to a degree - people thinking why vaccinate when we don’t have a big problem?

So the govt won’t mandate it, don’t want to get any more negativity towards it.

But that isn’t going to stop other measures being put in place. I would assume if there was an outbreak in an area, a lot of places would probably be able to say to people if you aren’t vaccinated, you can’t come to work.

Doesn’t stop individual businesses putting restrictions in place, like the airlines.

And doesn’t stop govt or business putting incentives in place.

SA Health have just put up a video of Prof Spurrier getting the vaccination. She was so excited. In the earlier press conference, Steven Marshall said he and Police Commissioner Grant Stephens would also be getting it today to set an example for the state and to show people that it is safe. He actually spoke longer than he normally does and was very convincing with his vax arguments. It did sound like they are expecting people to be quite hesitant though.

I suspect they won't mandate the vax for aged care workers because any hint of it being mandatory in any setting will bring out more opposition.

I agree that if Scott wanted to inspire confidence he should have gotten the AZ not the Pfizer. He's probably not even entitled to the Pfizer based on the governments own rules of who gets what.

If he waited for that to be ready though, plenty would be saying the Pfizer's not safe if the PM's not having it.

I can see both sides of this, and think if the end result is more people being vaccinated then it's a case of 'whatever it takes'.

If people are saying they're not having it because he didn't have the AZ then they're ignoring all of the senior, influential figures in the UK.

Like always there will be idiots who need too much convincing, but as always the rest of us will have to cover for them with herd immunity levels. Shame, given the herd immunity % concept is to cover those who can't have it, not those who are stoopid.

Advertisement