IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

SA Health have just put up a video of Prof Spurrier getting the vaccination. She was so excited. In the earlier press conference, Steven Marshall said he and Police Commissioner Grant Stephens would also be getting it today to set an example for the state and to show people that it is safe. He actually spoke longer than he normally does and was very convincing with his vax arguments. It did sound like they are expecting people to be quite hesitant though.

Glad they did that and hope other States take notice.

Apparently the crowd at the Australian Open booed both the mention of vaccines and lock down. So there is work to be done.

SA Health have just put up a video of Prof Spurrier getting the vaccination. She was so excited. In the earlier press conference, Steven Marshall said he and Police Commissioner Grant Stephens would also be getting it today to set an example for the state and to show people that it is safe. He actually spoke longer than he normally does and was very convincing with his vax arguments. It did sound like they are expecting people to be quite hesitant though.

Glad they did that and hope other States take notice.

Apparently the crowd at the Australian Open booed both the mention of vaccines and lock down. So there is work to be done.

Disappointing, wasn't it? Especially to an international audience. I do wonder if a majority who turned up were such fervent Djokovich fans that they agree with him - i.e. are not critical of his behaviour at home holding a tournament and partying to the extent that many were infected, along with his criticisms of the quarantine they had to go through.

There needs to be marketing campaign that explains that all the regular trials and safety precautions are in place, it has just happened swiftly due to an abundance of funding and government priority. I think something with a mix of sports stars, telly personalities and perhaps politicians of all stripes together. I have a lot of friends and family who really don’t understand a lot about what is happening and why. There’s too much assumed health and science literacy in the messaging I’ve seen so far.

:ninja:

There needs to be marketing campaign that explains that all the regular trials and safety precautions are in place, it has just happened swiftly due to an abundance of funding and government priority. I think something with a mix of sports stars, telly personalities and perhaps politicians of all stripes together. I have a lot of friends and family who really don’t understand a lot about what is happening and why. There’s too much assumed health and science literacy in the messaging I’ve seen so far.

John Oliver makes ad campaigns like this for people to share. I feel like he might have done a vaccine one years ago. However, his are for American audiences.

Disappointingly, our local variant of the hit network gave airtime to someone who refers to themselves as an ex vaxxer as opposed to an anti vaxxer. (Couldn’t really see what the dif was, tbh). They were banging on about how one of vaccines uses embryonic cells. I presume that if they are anti that, they also wouldn’t accept some forms of immune therapy and bone marrow transplants if they had some forms of cancer? I just can’t wrap my head around it.

I didn’t listen to the whole thing, was too disgusted, but am hopeful that they also had an opposing, educated viewpoint to counter it. I hope not too much damage has been done by giving people who don’t have authority on a subject air time. I personally think it was really irresponsible.

But that’s what I get for listening to that station... I just have a soft spot for one of the hosts haha.

But the flu shot has been around for a long time people have been happy to get that I don't remember any mass advertising/marketing campaign (yes others can prove that wrong) I see the covid vaccine as this same as all the other immunisations our kids have had from the time they were born.

So what side effects are they saying people are experiencing?

It can cause the usual- aching at the site, headache, fever, muscle aches etc

Are they usual side effects for a vaccine? Other than soreness at the site, I’d never heard of any of those.

Yes! All usual side effects.

The catholic Church has given an exemption to followers to have the AZ vaccine where you don't have a choice.

And in Indonesian, it has been declared Halal.

But the flu shot has been around for a long time people have been happy to get that I don't remember any mass advertising/marketing campaign (yes others can prove that wrong) I see the covid vaccine as this same as all the other immunisations our kids have had from the time they were born.

LOTS of people don’t get the flu vaccine though.

Exactly. If you want to cut through to the the people, advertise to them.

I don't think the majority of people get the flu shot though.

Definitely! I was just saying to DH this morning that they should be using their millions of advertising dollars to actually clearly explain how it was developed so quickly. Explain how different it is because they were already working on the technology, there has never been this level of technology, motivation and dollars readily available. So much covid circulating that helped the trials. Vaccines that have taken 5 - 10 years to develop haven't been immediately developed and tested and then they sit back and watch for long-term side effects. No, it takes them that long to get to this point. And they are not killing babies to use foetal cells.

I have seen multiple people I know who are not anti-vaxx comment on Facebook that they won't be getting this "rushed" and "emergency approved" vaccine. (there's a silver lining to the news ban on Facebook, don't get these comments popping up!)

I think the vax will be compulsory for aged care/health care staff in key areas (similar to flu vax requirements), but probably not until next year. Can’t make something required that isn’t yet widely available.

Even with a rapid roll out, it’s going to take a long time for all the willing people in those settings to get vaccinated, as they have to stagger roll out between teams so if people are feeling lousy the next day, whole units aren’t calling in sick at once etc.

The catholic Church has given an exemption to followers to have the AZ vaccine where you don't have a choice.

While there are no embryonic cells in the final product HEK 293 is involved in the manufacture of some other COVID vaccines as well.

I always wonder do people refuse to use all the other products and advances that have resulted from research using HEK 293 and HeLa (different ethical problem).

I think the vax will be compulsory for aged care/health care staff in key areas (similar to flu vax requirements), but probably not until next year. Can’t make something required that isn’t yet widely available.

Even with a rapid roll out, it’s going to take a long time for all the willing people in those settings to get vaccinated, as they have to stagger roll out between teams so if people are feeling lousy the next day, whole units aren’t calling in sick at once etc.

I agree. Once we have a situation where international travel has resumed and only non vaccinated people get it severely, but can then still obviously make them higher risk for passing it on to those who are extremely vulnerable, I suspect the rules will change.

I must admit I've not met too many with hesitancy, although there are a few people with whom I'd not initiate a discussion. My nephew's wife works in aged care and can't wait for it. She said it was so nerve wracking, worrying that you were taking it in.

I think Greg Hunt is getting the AZ vaccine this week. Hopefully that will be sufficient to allay some concerns. Oh, and Brendan Murphy too.

I don’t have concerns about the AZ vaccine (and it’s likely that’s the one I will end up having when it’s my turn), but for the people who have concerns about the use of aborted cells, I think having our PM who is clearly religious, take that vaccine would have been a vote of confidence. That would have been leading by example.

I’m also interested that aged care workers don’t have to have the covid vaccine unlike flu vaccines. It’s not an issue of not wanting to mandate it because they do with the flu vaccine. I wonder why when it’s been shown to be one of the riskiest areas with covid and mortality.

I suspect that the biggest issue is the impracticality of mandating a vaccine without universal access. It's going to be many months (at least) before everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be and we will probably have supplies of vaccines running down and being replenished all around the country this year. Aged care workforces are pretty mobile and people move in an out of the industry all the time. Vaccinating everyone this month via their employer means that anyone completing their qualifications and then starting work (or returning) next month will not have been vaccinated yet.

Ideally everyone will be able to get a catch-up vaccine ASAP but if we are awaiting the next shipment at the time then they will probably still need to return to work. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that is considered down the track but until government can guaranteed vaccine stocks, it isn't realistic to make it mandatory.

It can cause the usual- aching at the site, headache, fever, muscle aches etc

Are they usual side effects for a vaccine? Other than soreness at the site, I’d never heard of any of those.

This is one of DH's bugbears. He gets the side effects of the flu jab enough he needs to consider the risks vs benefits. He gets fever, headache, aches and pain etc badly enough he's needed 3-4 days off work every time he's had it. Every doctor and the vax program people say it's perfectly normal, but not a common reaction.

Whenever he mentions the side effects to people (not to talk anyone out of it or anything, he's pro vax), he gets lectures on how that's not possible. There's no side effects. He's obviously just either imagined it or already had a cold. They just go on and on and on about it.

He reckons the fervent denial of completely normal side effects and attitude of people who are pro-vax actually pushes people to not get the jab. It was a significant factor in him saying *fuck it, I'm not going to bother* one year.

Oops forgot to clarify, not suggesting PPs are doing that. I meant as in the lack of general knowledge about what are normal possible side effects which helps fuel the anti vax agenda, either by people not understanding their own symptoms. Or by anti vaxxers using those symptoms as proof of evilness. Or by provaxxers shutting down conversations with people with genuine concerns.

Edited by Mooguru

Do we get the vaccine at the GP or is it done at a clinic or where?

I'm in as 2b at present but jump to 2a in a few months. DH will be a 1b.

The 2nd round of vaccines will be given in GP clinics, the first round are being given at the hospital clinics.

Due to the temps required, Pfizer is all out of major hospitals only.

The AZ is much more a “standard” vax, in that it can be kept at normal fridge temps. So anywhere that can usually do vaccinations- GPs, pharmacies, council vaccination centres, remote nursing centres etc should in theory be able to handle it.

This is one of DH's bugbears. He gets the side effects of the flu jab enough he needs to consider the risks vs benefits. He gets fever, headache, aches and pain etc badly enough he's needed 3-4 days off work every time he's had it. Every doctor and the vax program people say it's perfectly normal, but not a common reaction.

Whenever he mentions the side effects to people (not to talk anyone out of it or anything, he's pro vax), he gets lectures on how that's not possible. There's no side effects. He's obviously just either imagined it or already had a cold. They just go on and on and on about it.

He reckons the fervent denial of completely normal side effects and attitude of people who are pro-vax actually pushes people to not get the jab. It was a significant factor in him saying *fuck it, I'm not going to bother* one year.

Oops forgot to clarify, not suggesting PPs are doing that. I meant as in the lack of general knowledge about what are normal possible side effects which helps fuel the anti vax agenda, either by people not understanding their own symptoms. Or by anti vaxxers using those symptoms as proof of evilness. Or by provaxxers shutting down conversations with people with genuine concerns.

It sounds like those people saying that to your DH are a little confused! Of course one can get side effects. The argument they're using is what people usually say to those who think the flu vax gave them the flu 🤔😅

Due to the temps required, Pfizer is all out of major hospitals only.

The AZ is much more a “standard” vax, in that it can be kept at normal fridge temps. So anywhere that can usually do vaccinations- GPs, pharmacies, council vaccination centres, remote nursing centres etc should in theory be able to handle it.

DH's pharmacy has applied to give the AZ vaccine, they haven't heard back yet though.

It sounds like those people saying that to your DH are a little confused! Of course one can get side effects. The argument they're using is what people usually say to those who think the flu vax gave them the flu 🤔😅

Yep. But even if someone says that the flu vax gave them the flu, it's because they don't understand it.

Last year DH had a 39 temp, was sweating and shivering, muscle aches etc for 3 or 4 days. It wouldn't be unreasonable for someone with low understanding of how the vaccine works to think they had the flu.

DH described it as sneering superiority. Where people with a little knowledge would rather make other people feel like shit to make themselves feel smarter than genuinely try and act in best interests.

I like that Covid live now includes vaccination data, purely from curiosity, I like numbers 😊

It’s a nice feeling to finally see it happening.

Made the mistake of looking at a poll in a local fb group re the vaccine. Seems I live in a postcode full of people who are either flat out no, or are happy to have it but want everyone else to go first.

Advertisement