IGNORED

What does it mean to "dress your age"?

Darryl

I have to say, I don't understand why you can't show your shoulders in church. Pretty sure whatever deity you believe in (or profess to believe in) knows you have shoulders. And knees are offensive now?? What about all the mini skirts in the 60's? I doubt anyone went to hell (or is going) for wearing a skirt above the knee. It just seems like a really outdated social norm.

Sure, no death metal tees in a church, but if people are judging you on what you wear, that's their issue, not yours.

I agree that the ‘dress code’ for church is a social construct. It’s why what is seen as acceptable or not, changes over time.

I’m not religious so only go to church for the benefit of others - weddings, christenings, funerals. I dress in a way that I presume would be respectful and comforting to the family. So, for some, it would be quite dressed up and conservative. For others, it would be casual because too dressed up would be out of place.

Yeah, if other people choose to judge me, that’s their issue and not mine but out of respect for whomever I’m attending church for, the day/ceremony is about them and not me so I do t want to be the cause of attention, speculation or talk.

I think that the whole 'dress your age' thing is a social construct tbh

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Darryl

• Basil

• Fruitmincepies

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruitmincepies

I’m 50 and no longer feel like I look my best in short skirts or shorts. I will still wear sleeveless tops but no spaghetti straps. They’re my only new rules compared to when I was say 30. But I will still wear skinny jeans and generally dress reasonably “young” otherwise. Will I be wearing skinny jeans at 60 or 70? Only if I feel comfortable that it still suits me.

The young don’t wear skinny jeans, they are for the over 30 crowd it seems.

. For example, when I used to work in an office (ore covid) I used to buy dresses from David Lawrence or David Jones to wear to work. Other women a bit older than me may have bought these same dresses as formal wear or to wear to the races etc. Same dress, different purpose.

What? I'm trying to imagine as an older woman a dress I would wear for formal wear that a younger woman would see as suitable office wear.

This is illustrative. But my mum wore a very similar dress to this to my daughter's baptism. And I have 5 similar dresses to this that I used to wear to the office

Screenshot-20210223-142427.png

DH has a mate who only wears long pants, even in summer, because according to him shorts are for young boys and men wear long pants.

Such an old fashioned notion. But there were a few rules like that in the olden days. Hair styles, hem lengths, cuts of dresses, lengths of pants and sleeve length. That’s probably what “dress your age” began as.

Who knows what it means these days, cause I don’t care.

That sounds like my FIL! He mocks my DH for wearing shorts 🤣

Meanwhile, our sons prefer long pants even though I buy them shorts. Maybe they’ve subconsciously taken on what FIL has said and want to be grown up.

The young don’t wear skinny jeans, they are for the over 30 crowd it seems.

You’re right. The young wear “mum” jeans and “mums” wear skinnies !

I was about to say the same thing 😂. I wear skinny pants and my DD wears mum jeans.

Dressing your age can suck it. I wear what’s comfortable and what suits my body shape/looks good on me. Most days it’s tshirts and jeans or denim shorts, or dresses and jumpsuits if it’s not just around the house/school pick up attire. I’ve also been asked when I’m going to “grow out of” my various hair colours (currently pink, purple and orange) and to that I also say suck it.

What about those (older) men that wore shorts in Summer (in the office mostly) along with long white socks & loafers.

Thank fuck that look has banished into the abyss never to return.

Or the long socks with sandals. Just why?

So the english can show of their pasty white knees DH tells me

Spidey_Senses

I didnt realise men copped this as well (critiscism of age-related dressing). Either way I dont think people need to dress any particular way as long as their private parts are covered its nobody elses business.

What DH and I wear hasnt really changed that much between our 20s and our 40s. We are jeans and t shirt types. I dont imagine it will change that much in our 60s even. But the fashions have changed so its more slim leg high waisted jeans rather than bootleg jeans.

I didnt realise men copped this as well (critiscism of age-related dressing). Either way I dont think people need to dress any particular way as long as their private parts are covered its nobody elses business.

What DH and I wear hasnt really changed that much between our 20s and our 40s. We are jeans and t shirt types. I dont imagine it will change that much in our 60s even. But the fashions have changed so its more slim leg high waisted jeans rather than bootleg jeans.

Usually i hear it in relation to men along with words 'mid life crisis'

I can only remember one person I actively thought about age vs clothes. She was in her 60s wearing fluro rahrah skirts and supre slogan stretchy tops.

But it was like surprised admiration more than negative judgement.

Now I just feel old looking at those young people wearing things that I now recognise looked terrible when we wore them around 20 years ago.

Edited to clarify

Usually i hear it in relation to men along with words 'mid life crisis'

I was about to post that ‘dress your age’ was similar to the ‘dressing modestly’ thread - the expression seemed only to apply to women. I still think it is disproportionately applied to women but I agree it is used for men too.

Totally agree that clothes should be appropriate for the situation. I swear orientation for office jobs should include the note that if you would wear it clubbing on Saturday night you should not wear it to work 😆.

I’m 50 and no longer feel like I look my best in short skirts or shorts. I will still wear sleeveless tops but no spaghetti straps. They’re my only new rules compared to when I was say 30. But I will still wear skinny jeans and generally dress reasonably “young” otherwise. Will I be wearing skinny jeans at 60 or 70? Only if I feel comfortable that it still suits me.

I agree. My denim shorts, mini skirts and skinny jeans bought decades ago still fit me so I only very occasionally buy new clothes. Why would I spend money replacing a wardrobe of clothes that still fit me comfortably?

Advertisement