IGNORED

Popsugar reading challenge 2021

riotproof

That sounds quite interesting Sange. I must admit I looked up what that genre means, got confused and didn’t think anymore about it.

I'm looking back at Goodreads now, and I am not sure it is Afrofuturist in the strictest sense, as there is not science fiction element to it. HOwever, I am not a fan of sci-fi so I might just claim it anyway. It is still a good read.

I've finished a few now

Do-over/fresh start prompt - Anxious People

Locked room - The Hunting Party

I've finished The Survivors (Jane Harper) as well so think I'll park it in the place to visit in 2021 for now as it is set in Tasmania.

I finished Dash and Lily’s book Of dares for a heart on the cover and I quite liked it. Will read the next one, next Christmas, though some reviews suggest it’s not quite as good.

Finished "Noughts and Crosses" which I am counting as afrofuturist, although it might not be so technically. Loevd it, and am contemplating whether to continue the series.

Started "Good Girls Lie" on audiobook for dark academia.

Finished "Curvy girls can't date quarterbacks', (body positivity) which is an easy YA, Sweet Dreams type read. Loved it and have downloaded the rest of the 'Curvy Girls' series, which are free on the Kindle Unlimited I forgot I had subscribed to and was paying for a few months!

Am reading Beach Read by Emily Henry. Nice little romance, with clever writing and snort out loud moments. Not sure where it fits exactly, maybe one I meant to read last year?

Oh actually, dream job. Now I remember. They are both writers.

Finished Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe. So interresting and so many things I did not know. I listened to the audio book, but I do have a copy of the book as well. Will have to see if there were images.

For indigenous author prompt.

• 2 weeks later...

Vicky Zimmerman The woman who wanted more. Could work for something broken, do overs, but I am using for something passionate about since it’s all about food.

It was a good read but only about 3.5 stars. Firstly, it’s too long. It really needed a good trimming. The epilogue was completely unnecessary and part 5 could have been halved.

But I am glad I read it.

She also wrote under the pseudonym Stella Newman and they seem to be foodie books too.

Also wanted to suggest 'Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs' by Johann Hari if anyone is stumped on the social justice prompt. I read it a few years ago, it is excellent and very well-researched and informative.

Has anyone read 'The long way to a small, angry planet'?

If so, is it good? And would it work for the fresh starts or do-overs prompt?

I have read it and I loved it. It’s probably not for hard core sci fi type people. I describe it as a space opera but with tremendous world building. I have the third one in my pile. Can’t remember who, but someone here recommended the series.

Yes, it would work for a do over. One character hides their past from the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been reading Bridgerton. Not sure if I can squeeze them all in.

But Pieces of her Karin Slaughter was probably a solid 3.75. Switching between modern day and 1980s timeline it’s about mother’s and daughters, plus a crime group.

I quite enjoyed it, but I don’t read many thrillers so it wasn’t obvious to me until reasonably well in.

I’m using it for do over I think. I realised the notion spreadsheet I downloaded is not for me. It’s for planners and I think I broke it.

I’m not sure what paper book I’m going for next. I have a Margaret Atwood book of poetry from the library, The little bookshop of love stories - which looks like it sounds but I could switch that for dream career. I’d love to own a bookshop, but I’d probably be like Bernard Black without the smoking. And I also borrowed Nats what I reckon cookbook, which I have flicked through and would definitely count as a reading book. Then of course there’s the stack of books I own.

I finished The Guest List for locked-room mystery. It wasn't bad, not a genre a I read a lot of but I did like it better than Nine Perfect Strangers if anyone is still tossing up options there.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was fun too (fresh starts prompt), not high art but really sweet and heartfelt and I liked the universe that the author has built enough to order the next one from the library.

I'm struggling a bit with heavier stuff which is probably because I haven't read regularly for quite a few years but I am reading regularly again now which has been really nice.

Edited to add: I also read Brown Girl in the Ring for the magical realism prompt. It's really good but definitely horror (which wouldn't normally be my thing at all). It's well worth a look if you can find a copy, want something a bit different and don't mind things a bit gory and unpleasant. It's Caribbean magical realism which I have never really come across before but it was a really engaging read. I plan to seek out more of the authors stuff down the track.

Puddingplease, I don't think everything needs to be heavy. Just reading out of your comfort zone is a good thing.

I'll take note of that Lucy Foley book. Those are the type I borrow or get from street libraries.. I've never wanted to read a thriller twice.

I'm glad you like Becky Chambers.. as you say, it's not high literature, but she does build a fascinating world. I'd love to see it made as a series.

I'm still not feeling overly sold on the prompts this year, But i will keep following..

A book with the same title as a song - Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

This was an interesting autobiography. He has lived a very different life and taken advantage of the huge amount he gets paid as a movie star to go off and have adventures in between shooting. I did like it, but it also made me realise how tied down we get by the need to turn up to a job every day.

A book about forgetting - The Binding by Bridget Collins

I really liked this. It's set in an unspecified place with the feeling of England about two centuries ago. The main difference between this world and ours is that certain people have the ability to help others forget their bad memories by binding them into a book. It's slow to start but builds momentum. I definitely recommend.

A book that everyone has read except you - Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I liked it, though I can see why people felt it got bogged down (see what I did there) in descriptions of the marsh. Another one that is more slow-oacedz then builds towards the end. Read it, if only to know what everyone else is talking about!

Captain Tightpants

A book that everyone has read except you - Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I read that one for the book set outdoors. It wasn't what I usually read, but found it OK. I did like the ending though!

I am currently reading Never let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro for the Dark Academia topic. It has been a hard slog to read, have not enjoyed it at all! I got to a point that I had to continue reading as I wanted to know how it ended.

My next book will be The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy for the 90's book :)

the Godmothers by Monica Mcinerney. Set in multiple countries. I really liked it, but I think I always like her books.

She is also an Aries. Occupations covered are event manager, hotel owner, actress (though not a main part of the story).

The invisible life of Addie Larue by VE Schwab for about art. Pop sugar are also saying it could be about forgetting or magical realism, but I am not far enough in to tell yet.

Captain Tightpants

I started reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy but could not do it. Gave up after the first few chapters.

Just reading some light and fluffy romance book then will get back to the challenge.

I have The Midnight Library loaned, I hope it is OK as PP didn't seem to like it. Otherwise I also have The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin for the afrofuturist genre.

Advertisement