IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

Linked to the previous community cases, which is at least some good news, rather than no one having any idea where it came from.

That's much better that it being found to be linked to the PNG cases.

LemonMyrtle

DH just had a conferences with two people from Qld, one from Brisbane. They both arrived here earlier this week. God I hope it hasn’t spread to other states already.

Julie3Girls

Definitely good to have it linked. Although still worrying that there is obviously at least one missing link between the known cases in that cluster, and this new one, who has been out in the community.

And can I just say how amazing it is, that Australia is in the position of being able to identify and track back a single case.

Great that he got tested. Either the person in between was asymptomatic, or they figured they just had a cold and hunkered down. Hopefully his list of contacts will identify the missing link.

Princess Peach

A case in the community in Brisbane, of unknown origin is a bit worrying. Hopefully it hasn’t been spread, and hopefully once the genomic testing comes back they will have a bit more of an idea.

Hasn't it been showing up in lots of queensland wastewater for weeks now? Makes you wonder how much is lurking out there, particularly as the testing numbers have been quite low everywhere lately.

As soon as I heard they were getting an influx of infections from PNG, I knew they would have an outbreak if they hadn’t had one already.

I know nothing about Queensland’s health system. But to me, having so many infected people in a hospital that isn’t used to it, was just going to lead to outbreaks. And then when you have immigrants, with potential language and cultural barriers, it’s bound to sneak into the community.

And I think I read some of the infected people were coming here for work? Is that right? That’s a precarious position to be in, you wouldn’t admit to feeling unwell, if you had somehow go through the quarantine period, for fear of losing your job. And where do they stay?

There are also Aussie FIFO workers, where like half the PNG mine workforce has tested positive for COVID.

But yes it’s a big worry, especially with school holidays starting next week.

LemonMyrtle

Apparently this new guy is genetically linked to that Dr that was reported around the 12th of March? So that’s potentially 2 weeks of undetected community transmission, right?

If it was Melbourne, we would be up to like 100 cases already, yet to be found. But the other states seem to have better luck than us, so I’m guessing 20-50. Still a lot of people to track down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-26/queensland-covid-case-linked-to-pa-hospital-cluster-brisbane/100031324

I foresee a lockdown and closed borders.

Apparently this new guy is genetically linked to that Dr that was reported around the 12th of March? So that’s potentially 2 weeks of undetected community transmission, right?

If it was Melbourne, we would be up to like 100 cases already, yet to be found. But the other states seem to have better luck than us, so I’m guessing 20-50. Still a lot of people to track down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-26/queensland-covid-case-linked-to-pa-hospital-cluster-brisbane/100031324

Gosh! I would rather a snap 3 day lockdown like we had in January, than for it to be a slow burn. Fingers crossed we won’t need a lockdown though.

I might have mentioned this before but Family in QLD in an area with multiple positive waste water testing have complained to us it is virtually impossible for them to get tested. A pop up testing centre gets set up for a few days then disappears. They currently have a 3hr round trip to their closest testing centre - they don't live in a small town - because the closest one is for inpatients of the hospital only.

I haven’t ever used a pop up testing centre or fever clinic for my covid tests. I get a referral from my GP and go to a private pathology collection centre. All bulk billed and no waiting either.

If your family is in a region with no fever clinics, their GP should be able to collect a sample and send it for testing. Pop up clinics are only used when there are cases in the area that warrant it.

Princess Peach

This is why I still feel there is a climate element to it’s spread, I really cannot see how luck comes into this yet again.

Although please, please let them get on top of this before the end of school holidays - I really don’t think I can face homeschooling again.

I might have mentioned this before but Family in QLD in an area with multiple positive waste water testing have complained to us it is virtually impossible for them to get tested. A pop up testing centre gets set up for a few days then disappears. They currently have a 3hr round trip to their closest testing centre - they don't live in a small town - because the closest one is for inpatients of the hospital only.

I haven’t ever used a pop up testing centre or fever clinic for my covid tests. I get a referral from my GP and go to a private pathology collection centre. All bulk billed and no waiting either.

If your family is in a region with no fever clinics, their GP should be able to collect a sample and send it for testing. Pop up clinics are only used when there are cases in the area that warrant it.

My GP would charge for the consult, $60 oop, That said, we're an easy drive from three of the permanent ones, so it hasn't been an issue.

It could also just be one intermediate case though, too. It's astonishing how often close contacts remain free of the virus, even if they live together.

My GP would charge for the consult, $60 oop, That said, we're an easy drive from three of the permanent ones, so it hasn't been an issue.

I was surprised at the bulk billing initially. Our household attends three different clinics (we have our preferred doctors) and they have all bulk billed for covid pathology test requests even though two of the clinics do not bulk bill ordinarily. They have all been phone calls rather than in person appointments, so I wonder if that makes a difference?

They've said the doctors in their town don't let people with any respiratory symptoms come in, they direct them to get tested at the hospital (inpatients only), Covid clinic in the next major town (3hr round trip) or the pop up centre when it is there. Obviously just taking their word for it but they were really peeved as they have a family member who is high risk and no one locally is being tested even when symptomatic and with positive sewerage results.

Eta hoping this isn't the start of any outbreak.

I was surprised at the bulk billing initially. Our household attends three different clinics (we have our preferred doctors) and they have all bulk billed for covid pathology test requests even though two of the clinics do not bulk bill ordinarily. They have all been phone calls rather than in person appointments, so I wonder if that makes a difference?

Maybe, and maybe ours do, but I'd have thought they'd say so on their website. We are fortunate in that there are three within half an hour, all in different directions, so we can choose depending on traffic direction etc. Not that I've had to be tested - haven't even had a slight cold since the start of Covid. I'm sure not mixing with kids much makes a difference.

My “regular” is a non GP referral drive through which started as a pop up but was kept in place and never closed. I went there a week ago and there was only one car in front upon arrival and I was in and out within 10 minutes. They even had time to sight me scanning the barcode to get my results to make sure it worked.

In the past I have waited an hour and a half there as the lines used to be so long. They have a permanent traffic controller on site. I think back then it probably would have been quicker to go to the fever clinic at the local hospital.

I’ve had 6 tests since the pandemic started!

Sancti-claws

Very thankful that I live near a town that has had a drive-thru pop-up clinic from the beginning - have used it twice for myself, once for a neighbour and once for my daughter.

A case in the community in Brisbane, of unknown origin is a bit worrying. Hopefully it hasn’t been spread, and hopefully once the genomic testing comes back they will have a bit more of an idea.

Hasn't it been showing up in lots of queensland wastewater for weeks now? Makes you wonder how much is lurking out there, particularly as the testing numbers have been quite low everywhere lately.

It makes it so hard for people ☹️

On the PNG related cases... my impression was that most of them were in Cairns. Cairns to Brisbane is almost twice (by road) as far as Brisbane to Sydney, Yes it is within the state so there would be travel but there is also a lot of travel south to Sydney and Melbourne. Most business people I know would be traveling to Sydney/Melbourne not Cairns.

On the PNG related cases... my impression was that most of them were in Cairns. Cairns to Brisbane is almost twice (by road) as far as Brisbane to Sydney, Yes it is within the state so there would be travel but there is also a lot of travel south to Sydney and Melbourne. Most business people I know would be traveling to Sydney/Melbourne not Cairns.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the comment I made yesterday, that it's better that it's not from the PNG cases, if it was, lord only knows how long it would have been since 'it' left Cairns, and how many people had caught it along the way.

It's far more logical that it's not, but also good news.

Another case. I'm feeling a bit more doom and gloom with this than I normally do. Not sure why.

Also did AP say their hospitals are virtually at capacity as a result of the pandemic? Surely that can't be right and if it is, is very concerning re the state of the health system? The TV is on in a different room and I was only half listening so fully admit I might have completely misheard

Another Qld case, dined at the same restaurant as the first case.

It is being reported that today's new case is a friend of yesterday's case. Different household though.

purplekitty

Another case. I'm feeling a bit more doom and gloom with this than I normally do. Not sure why.

Also did AP say their hospitals are virtually at capacity as a result of the pandemic? Surely that can't be right and if it is, is very concerning re the state of the health system? The TV is on in a different room and I was only half listening so fully admit I might have completely misheard

The hospitals are always running at over 100% even before COVID.

this is what puzzles me when they talk about hospitals overseas - as though any of them have got swathes of empty beds at the best of times.

I can only imagine it's a lot worse than Vic at the peak - people otherwise avoiding hospital when they shouldn't, cancer treatments being delayed, investigations being postponed, and people dying who'd otherwise life if they were able to given priority, so called low-priority elective surgery being put off so long it's caused regression .... Given the transmission of covid to medical staff in Vic, in the hospitals, I can't imagine it's any better elsewhere. We at least had people from interstate coming to help us.

But why is that a result of the pandemic?

Sorry rereading what I wrote I wasn't clear. I feel like adding "because of the pandemic" implies the health system wouldn't be under strain if it weren't for the pandemic. But if a handful of cases has the system on the ropes, isn't it a bit of political handballing and lack of responsibility to make out like the pandemic is the problem?

Advertisement