IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

Another case. I'm feeling a bit more doom and gloom with this than I normally do. Not sure why.

Also did AP say their hospitals are virtually at capacity as a result of the pandemic? Surely that can't be right and if it is, is very concerning re the state of the health system? The TV is on in a different room and I was only half listening so fully admit I might have completely misheard

The hospitals are always running at over 100% even before COVID.

But why is that a result of the pandemic?

Sorry rereading what I wrote I wasn't clear. I feel like adding "because of the pandemic" implies the health system wouldn't be under strain if it weren't for the pandemic. But if a handful of cases has the system on the ropes, isn't it a bit of political handballing and lack of responsibility to make out like the pandemic is the problem?

It’s more than a handful of cases though. Qld currently has 71 active cases (mostly from returned travellers in quarantine) - all of which are in hospital, as Qld puts all positive cases in hospital.

purplekitty

COVID is putting an already stressed system under pressure.

There is a bed deficit in SE Qld. in normal times.

Ally systems are very lean these days and politicians don't like to admit that.

This is a very illuminating read about the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

For one thing, I didn't realise that it's the only vaccine being produced at base cost as a philanthropic gesture, whereas the Pfizer and Moderna companies are raking in millions of profit dollars already from their vaccines.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/26/how-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-became-a-political-football-and-a-pr-disaster

I read that the man who tested positive earlier this week hosted a house party with 25 people AFTER he was tested and was supposed to self isolating. How selfish and stupid is that?!?

I read that the man who tested positive earlier this week hosted a house party with 25 people AFTER he was tested and was supposed to self isolating. How selfish and stupid is that?!?

How many lives and livelihoods has he destroyed with his stupid, selfish behaviour? All the Queensland people who now can't visit relatives - some of them big birthdays, some of them dying, some of them just haven't seen each other for years ...

We've all talked about the pressure on people on low incomes to keep working, but a PARTY?

I can understand the first bloke 'popping in' to the supermarket. With zero community transmission at the time, most people's own risk assessment would have themselves about as low as it comes, but when you know you've eaten with someone's who's now positive ....

Another case. I'm feeling a bit more doom and gloom with this than I normally do. Not sure why.

Also did AP say their hospitals are virtually at capacity as a result of the pandemic? Surely that can't be right and if it is, is very concerning re the state of the health system? The TV is on in a different room and I was only half listening so fully admit I might have completely misheard

Sounds like us. In Vic there is an awful lot of catch up happening with elective surgery that has been on hold, that and the fact the roads are getting busier so there are more accidents, people are out at pubs so there are more assaults and then with the 'regular' emergencies places here are full to the brim.

I think that for some time people thought the only people who were in hospital were COVID patients.

DD sat in ED for 8 hours last week overnight, they were inserting IV's and giving meds in the waiting room at Monash.

Sounds like us. In Vic there is an awful lot of catch up happening with elective surgery that has been on hold, that and the fact the roads are getting busier so there are more accidents, people are out at pubs so there are more assaults and then with the 'regular' emergencies places here are full to the brim.

I think that for some time people thought the only people who were in hospital were COVID patients.

DD sat in ED for 8 hours last week overnight, they were inserting IV's and giving meds in the waiting room at Monash.

A friend's husband is quite a bit older, and frail. Long story short, he needed to go to hospital but was told (by several ambos) the Alfred would treat him and send him home due to bed shortages, so they went to Cabrini. They couldn't move him from the 'waiting for Covid test result' ward for two days because there were no beds - explained to them as full on catch up of elective surgery means beds were scarce. He was there for five days with a huge improvement due to being intensively managed in hospital. There you have someone who could only get adequate treatment due to the luxury of being able to afford private insurance. It's easy to forget when you're not part of the system, that we're still paying the price for last year.

A friend's husband is quite a bit older, and frail. Long story short, he needed to go to hospital but was told (by several ambos) the Alfred would treat him and send him home due to bed shortages, so they went to Cabrini. They couldn't move him from the 'waiting for Covid test result' ward for two days because there were no beds - explained to them as full on catch up of elective surgery means beds were scarce. He was there for five days with a huge improvement due to being intensively managed in hospital. There you have someone who could only get adequate treatment due to the luxury of being able to afford private insurance. It's easy to forget when you're not part of the system, that we're still paying the price for last year.

We sure are paying for it. It scares me to think of another outbreak of COVID for so many reasons. The discussion my DH and I had pre the price hike for PHI was short and sharp. The decision was that we needed to continue the $250 per fortnight which hurts like hell.

I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!

I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!

My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.

Her first face to face was 2o weeks.

I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.

The system is so under stress in Vic at the moment ambulances are advised to bypass public EDs for private with Dhhs picking up the bill for those without insurance. That has never happened before this year.

The system is so under stress in Vic at the moment ambulances are advised to bypass public EDs for private with Dhhs picking up the bill for those without insurance. That has never happened before this year.

Wow. Makes more sense now that Vic has been more strict than some other states (apart from WA of course) regarding people coming or returning.

I was quite surprised when the ambos (long story short, three separate lots) said my friend's husband would be treated and sent home from the Alfred, when the GP was adamant he needed to be in hospital, and the ambos (previous day) had tried to talk him in to being taken to Cabrini.

At least good to hear those without insurance are also being treated.

No community cases in NSW or Vic yesterday - that's a good start, anyway. Hopefully testing numbers will ramp up as people think 'perhaps it's NOT just an itchy throat/hayfever/asthma cough'.

Dadwasathome

No community cases in NSW or Vic yesterday - that's a good start, anyway. Hopefully testing numbers will ramp up as people think 'perhaps it's NOT just an itchy throat/hayfever/asthma cough'.

Which is the way it should be now that that most (you’d hope all, but I expect not) HQ workers should have received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

And let’s also hope that dozy party boy in Brisbane is the last true idiot of our pandemic. At least he fessed up to the party once he got his positive result.

Which is the way it should be now that that most (you’d hope all, but I expect not) HQ workers should have received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

And let’s also hope that dozy party boy in Brisbane is the last true idiot of our pandemic. At least he fessed up to the party once he got his positive result.

With Vic and NSW I was thinking more of someone who didn't realise (at the time) that they were a close contact of the first Brisbane case, and had travelled to NSW or VIC before finding out.

True, at least he fessed up to the party, assuming it was him who did so.

Good thing really the first bloke was symptomatic, except for him of course, or by now it could be a lot worse.

Dadwasathome

Yes, symptomatic testing countinues to be essential.

Also now being clarified that it wasn’t a party, rather 4 housemates.

Yes, symptomatic testing countinues to be essential.

Also now being clarified that it wasn’t a party, rather 4 housemates.

Cripes, how did that misinformation get about, AND be reported so widely as to be in The Guardian and on the ABC. I always feel if it's made it that far, then they've checked their sources.

Next time I won't even trust them.

Good to see today's case is a historical and hopefully the missing link. That would be the best news all week.

So the bloke didn’t have a house party after all... it’s was his housemates and possibly one extra - which is being investigated as to whether that person was meant to be there.

Someone owes old mate an apology!!

ETA - Actually lots of someone’s owe old mate an apology!!

Neray every time they've reported on such behavior it's been wrong. I hadn't heard any correction.

Poor people have to live with the incorrect publicity

Neray every time they've reported on such behavior it's been wrong. I hadn't heard any correction.

Poor people have to live with the incorrect publicity

It generally hasn't made it to the ABC and The Guardian though, as being fact. I take zero notice of reports on most other media - they're report anything to be first without giving a damn about it's accuracy, just to get the clicks.

I expect those two to either have double checked, or reported it as 'it's been reported, but not yet confirmed by police/authorities ...' etc.

My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.

I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.

There has definitely been a variety of experiences in that group. Some had no in-person appointments until after 30 weeks. Many had no GTT. A lot of FTM were feeling very clueless and unsupported. Maternity wards have been crazy busy too, with people's inductions being pushed back due to no space. Didn't you say a little while ago that you had to provide some prenatal care for someone you knew as they weren't receiving it from their hospital?

It's premiers announcing bad behaviour at media conferences as fact and I strongly suspect it's a political strategy given it's happened multiple times now, apologies are thin on the ground - "miscommunication by the person or contact tracers" which in Tasmania was strongly denied by the parties involved. It's a cheap and easy way to politically distance themselves from a worsening outbreak by putting blame onto people breaking the rules. I don't know why there isn't more backlash against it.

I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.

Advertisement