IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!

My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.

Her first face to face was 2o weeks.

I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.

I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.

I'm with you there, so glad I was private. I received care as good as ever.

I'm in a big Facebook DIG for people due this month (around 800 people) and so many of them who went public received hardly any prenatal care, it was terrible. Not seeing anyone in person until well into their third trimester in some cases!

My girlfriend's daughter had her baby last week. She had 4 visits face to face and telehealth appointments at other times. She had all her appropriate scans and blood tests as usual , she just had to go alone to these.

Her first face to face was 2o weeks.

I presume it must differ between hospitals but I do understand that it has been awful for many pregnant mums.

Didn't you say a little while ago that you had to provide some prenatal care for someone you knew as they weren't receiving it from their hospital?

Yes, this was her. She had not seen anyone until 20 weeks so I went and took my doppler with me. I went a couple of times when she only had telehealth as she wanted someone to feel her belly and check that all was growing as she did not feel movements until quite late. Baby and mum are well but the experience let her down after her first baby.

I hope Queensland folk haven't paid too high a price for the misinformation that the government provided.

It's hard to imagine the WA response if that had not come out. Although one person might not have been supposed to be there, perhaps the person took all efforts to keep themselves away as far as possible.

ETA: I'll qualify that by saying our health staff in Victoria certainly were not helped by being told they probably got Covid in the community, whereas they mostly got it at work, despite their own best efforts, so this isn't a dig at Qld, it's a dig at govt acting like it's a minor issue, but it's had major consequences in some states.

I hope Queensland folk haven't paid too high a price for the misinformation that the government provided.

It's hard to imagine the WA response if that had not come out. Although one person might not have been supposed to be there, perhaps the person took all efforts to keep themselves away as far as possible.

ETA: I'll qualify that by saying our health staff in Victoria certainly were not helped by being told they probably got Covid in the community, whereas they mostly got it at work, despite their own best efforts, so this isn't a dig at Qld, it's a dig at govt acting like it's a minor issue, but it's had major consequences in some states.

WA has been pretty consistent in their approach to covid outbreaks. I doubt the 25 person party vs 5 flatmates and visitor would have swayed things much. The 3 confirmed cases having been out and about in the community, would probably be enough on its own.

WA has been pretty consistent in their approach to covid outbreaks. I doubt the 25 person party vs 5 flatmates and visitor would have swayed things much. The 3 confirmed cases having been out and about in the community, would probably be enough on its own.

I agree - WA is very consistent and why wouldn't they be. The people of WA love their gov being strong on borders so any case(s) anywhere in Australia why not shut it down as quick as possible because it is a sure vote winner. Keep WA safe and make it great again! :)

Social scientists must be loving Covid - so much change in such a short time, with so much data to play with!

Here we have a State (WA) now completely dominated by Labor (Left) who ran on a strong border / keep the undesirables out policy (usually reserved for the right) - Classic

Mod hat on

Re the arguments in threads. You cant take a discussion out of one thread into another no matter what the thread. Please do not @ a member or quote their posts from any thread and especially a support thread. If you see an aspect of a pov that you think might be a useful or interesting conversation then please start a spin off thread.

Thanks

JF

LemonMyrtle

3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.

3 day lockdown for Brisbane now, doesn’t seem long enough, but maybe they will extend it.

I read that the Queensland premier declared Brisbane a hot spot and encouraged other states to declare the same. Refreshing to have a premier say that, to admit the problem up front. Sounds like they’re doing all the right things.

Did they mention one woman is a separate outbreak from PA hospital, is that right? Cause that’s a bad sign.

They don't know yet. She worked with Covid patients, but they need the genomic sequencing to see where she was likely to catch it.

Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.

Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."

I found AP’s hot spot declaration a little humorous (in a perverse we are being locked down way). It was kind of a “nah nah” to Morrison and GB about yes, we have a strict hot spot threshold and we will apply it to ourselves too.

Re the two women new cases, they are sisters and one of them is a nurse who works with covid patients at the PA hospital (same one as the doctor a few weeks ago). They’re waiting on genomic sequencing but they don’t think she caught it at work. Which in some ways, is probably worse.

Steven Marshall has announced SA is shutting borders to all QLD, as of 4pm today (other than returning South Australians, who will have to isolate and get tested on Day 1, 5 and 13).

I will never vote for him, but gee he has grown on me throughout this whole pandemic. The first thing he said was "we have had excellent, excellent, flow of information from Qld."

The CHOs of all states have been in regular contact with each other throughout this pandemic. It’s just the idiot politicians who try to score points by trying to portray something different.

Gosh, I wish the media wouldn't do this. This is a big headline from The Age, about Brisbane: 10 new cases overnight:

Even as a Victorian it's a heart stopper, then you find out when you keep reading that the current cluster has increased by 4, which is obviously bad enough, but a damned sight better than ten.

Cases in quaratine obviously pose a risk, but we know they're going to occur. We DON'T know if we're going to get more community cases. How about they headline communitiy cases, then add 'plus a further six in quarantine'.

I agree! My heart leapt into my mouth when I saw the headline later in the morning. I thought ‘crap, we will be in a longer lockdown if they’ve found another 6 cases so quickly’.

Our schools have online learning for the next 2-3 days. PITA but at least they’re all set up and everyone’s accustomed to it. I’d rather go on holiday early. I did indulge in a brief dream of escaping to the coast.

I found AP’s hot spot declaration a little humorous (in a perverse we are being locked down way). It was kind of a “nah nah” to Morrison and GB about yes, we have a strict hot spot threshold and we will apply it to ourselves too.

Re the two women new cases, they are sisters and one of them is a nurse who works with covid patients at the PA hospital (same one as the doctor a few weeks ago). They’re waiting on genomic sequencing but they don’t think she caught it at work. Which in some ways, is probably worse.

The CHOs of all states have been in regular contact with each other throughout this pandemic. It’s just the idiot politicians who try to score points by trying to portray something different.

I agree! My heart leapt into my mouth when I saw the headline later in the morning. I thought ‘crap, we will be in a longer lockdown if they’ve found another 6 cases so quickly’.

Our schools have online learning for the next 2-3 days. PITA but at least they’re all set up and everyone’s accustomed to it. I’d rather go on holiday early. I did indulge in a brief dream of escaping to the coast.

Not all Brisbane schools are doing online learning.

Ours (a state high school) sent home an email saying there will be none.

Pigeonpairplusone

Only my primary school aged kid will have online work, my two high schoolers have finished assessments & have no work to do.

Not all Brisbane schools are doing online learning.

Ours (a state high school) sent home an email saying there will be none.

Yeah, I wish our schools (I have kids at different schools) were doing that.

The message for Qld State schools from the Dept of Ed is no home learning (online or otherwise) for these three days. Holidays early.

Message from DD's state high school was only work needs doing if assignments due in.

My school is not doing any learning at home for students. I've told parents just to start holidays. :)

My underlining. Exactly. In fact a few months ago, over a few days, they seemed to be making a particular point about it when there was a cluster somewhere: 'I was talking to x this morning ...' 'I've just missed a call from Y which I'll be returning ...' 'Z advised me yesterday.

It really seemed like they were trying to make the point that they were NOT politicians and were all working very well with each other. That gives me great heart.

I guess that’s why I thought it was great that a Liberal premier was so supportive of a Labor premier, even mentioning that he had talked to AP this morning.

I guess that’s why I thought it was great that a Liberal premier was so supportive of a Labor premier, even mentioning that he had talked to AP this morning.

Dan Andrews did a lot of that with NSW, probably more than he did with Qld and WA. Still politics, I think, on their part, even if the person they're referring to is of a different colour.

I hate when billionaires complain about being inconvenienced by things that can potentially save lives ie stopping the spread of covid.

“There is one word that can describe it, it is sheer lunacy.”

“And it has achieved nothing. There is no evidence it has achieved anything,” he said. “I can’t imagine the [Queensland] Premier wanting to do it because of the huge economic impact. We are talking billions of dollars here for a three-day lockdown.”

That’s part of his response to the Brisbane lockdown. He’s more interested in making more money than preventing ordinary people from contracting covid and potentially dying or more likely, suffering from long covid.

It’s as tone deaf as Gerry Harvey complaining about lockdowns, accepting Jobkeeper assistance, raking in millions and crying poor about the stock market falling.

Haven’t these idiots seen what has happened overseas? When covid has not been contained, the economy suffers too. During the last year, one of the busiest flight routes in the country has been Brisbane to Hamilton Island - in the state that was regularly abused for closing borders. Gah!

I hate when billionaires complain about being inconvenienced by things that can potentially save lives ie stopping the spread of covid.

“And it has achieved nothing. There is no evidence it has achieved anything,” he said. “I can’t imagine the [Queensland] Premier wanting to do it because of the huge economic impact. We are talking billions of dollars here for a three-day lockdown.”

That’s part of his response to the Brisbane lockdown. He’s more interested in making more money than preventing ordinary people from contracting covid and potentially dying or more likely, suffering from long covid.

It’s as tone deaf as Gerry Harvey complaining about lockdowns, accepting Jobkeeper assistance, raking in millions and crying poor about the stock market falling.

Haven’t these idiots seen what has happened overseas? When covid has not been contained, the economy suffers too. During the last year, one of the busiest flight routes in the country has been Brisbane to Hamilton Island - in the state that was regularly abused for closing borders. Gah!

When the Northern Beaches outbreak happened, there was a cricket commentator in Adelaide who had to leave/isolate/quarantine whatever, and was annoyed that it involved him. He said 'you shouldn't have to isolate' just because of the postcode you live in'. I don't think it helped his reputation with Melburnians, who'd suffered a harsh lockdown 'simply because of the postcode they lived in'.

The uber rich have managed to avoid some of the worst (yachts from Melbourne to the Gold coast, anyone?), but if they do get caught up in it, some of them are apoplectic, instead of acknowledging they have it easier than most people.

Fruitmincepies

So does this latest cluster indicate that the contact tracing for the doctor’s case was inadequate? How did someone get missed? I hope they figure out how it happened so all states can improve if necessary.

So does this latest cluster indicate that the contact tracing for the doctor’s case was inadequate? How did someone get missed? I hope they figure out how it happened so all states can improve if necessary.

Over 400 contacts of the doctor tested negative.

The brother of the landscaper has been genomically linked to the doctor but they haven’t been able to work out how he caught it because they can’t find the epidemiological link.

LemonMyrtle

Ridiculous, a quick immediate lockdown is a hell of a lot more bearable than a long drawn out one cause you left it too late.

It is going to have a huge impact so close to Easter though. Those brave enough to have booked an Easter holiday to Brisbane, or even Queensland, will be changing their plans.

lazycritter

Gosh the claim that flight centre would lose billions in 3 days is hard to swallow. are they talking state wide? Even that's difficult to believe especially being people are only able to travel domestically.

Advertisement