IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

lazycritter

I looked up flight centre and their profits were under 300Mil in 2019 for the whole year. Last year was 150m profit if I understand it. Don't know how many people were sacked in the process though

I’m very glad I went private. All my appointments were face to face except the week I was ill. However DH only saw baby for the first time at my 36 week scan. GTT was done as usual too but I know others have just done the blood test.

It seems to vary so much. I went public and had a pretty normal experience, only one appointment was Telehealth and the rest face to face as usual. Husband was able to come to all my routine scans, just not the extra growth scans at the hospital, which was no big deal for us.

I looked up flight centre and their profits were under 300Mil in 2019 for the whole year. Last year was 150m profit if I understand it. Don't know how many people were sacked in the process though

Are those calendar or financial years?

Jobkeeper would have played a big part in that profit figure.

Store closures and sacking staff would have saved them lots of money.

I'm actually surprised their profit figure is that high if it is for a calendar year.

lazycritter

I'm actually surprised their profit figure is that high if it is for a calendar year.

I'm pretty sure they were financial years. They were on track to make 310mil by end of fy 2020

I'm pretty sure they were financial years. They were on track to make 310mil by end of fy 2020

That makes sense then. They were operating as per normal for most of the year and only took a hit in the last 3 months or so.

Went for my 6 month checkup with the GP today. Asked about the flu vaccine because I thought I would get it while I was there - I usually wait until early May to get me through the worst of the flu season. GP is hopeful they will be getting some very soon but doesn't know when. She also hopes they will have covid vaccines at the end of April/early May but again, can't be sure. Centre staff are currently going through patient lists and will be contacting all patients as vaccines are available so their classification group can be vaccinated in a vaccine clinic the medical centre will be setting up.

LemonMyrtle

Am I allowed to giggle at the fact that a tradie may have just had his side hustle as an entertainer at bachelorette parties exposed to the entire country? I’m just imagining how he tells his boss when they ask “how did you catch it?” Lol.

Princess Peach

Am I allowed to giggle at the fact that a tradie may have just had his side hustle as an entertainer at bachelorette parties exposed to the entire country? I’m just imagining how he tells his boss when they ask “how did you catch it?” Lol.

I may have had a good giggle at that one - For some reason the phrasing made it funnier.

Phillipa Crawford

Went for my 6 month checkup with the GP today. Asked about the flu vaccine because I thought I would get it while I was there - I usually wait until early May to get me through the worst of the flu season. GP is hopeful they will be getting some very soon but doesn't know when. She also hopes they will have covid vaccines at the end of April/early May but again, can't be sure. Centre staff are currently going through patient lists and will be contacting all patients as vaccines are available so their classification group can be vaccinated in a vaccine clinic the medical centre will be setting up.

I used the Gov't website to locate a clinic for my parents to receive it. Found one who was taking calls at their local shopping centre

They rang last Tuesday 23rd, were ask to ring back on the 25th and received their first shot on Monday morning 29th.

They are in their mid 80's and I wasn't comfortable with the 'we will let you know when/if we get some', of their GP.

So it is possible to get vaccinated, you just need to advocate for yourself as they aren't helping you out any.

2 x new community cases in qld with an amazing 33k tests! So far, so good.

Fx NSW is clear, too. ETA: Yay, none! One day at a time.

1 positive in nsw after the time cutoff though. Increased restrictions for the Byron area,

Oh, bummer. That'll mean a whole new list of risky sites for the locals. If it means increased restrictions for the festival, I can't say I'm sorry, although I fully acknowledge it's shattering for the organisers.

I wonder if Vic will make it a red zone now, given the number people from Vic who'd be likely to travel up to it, and the um, profile of that group?

I used the Gov't website to locate a clinic for my parents to receive it. Found one who was taking calls at their local shopping centre

They rang last Tuesday 23rd, were ask to ring back on the 25th and received their first shot on Monday morning 29th.

They are in their mid 80's and I wasn't comfortable with the 'we will let you know when/if we get some', of their GP.

So it is possible to get vaccinated, you just need to advocate for yourself as they aren't helping you out any.

Yep and on the govt website, the only clinic listed is nowhere near me and tricky to get to by public transport because I don't drive. It is also only a 2 x GP clinic who no doubt will be overrun with their own patients getting the vaccine, let alone the other 43000 of us in my suburb and as my 'turn' hasn't come yet, I wouldn't qualify to get it anyway.

Very interesting to see both NSW and Qld pissed off at the commonwealth this morning about vaccine availability. NSW’s Minister Hazzard & Premier Berejiklian were unusually scathing.

Rightfully so, the roll out has been a monumental failure. And the press are questioning premiers why staff weren’t vaccinated, I’d get cranky too. Can’t vaccinated when you have no supply.

In Vic department of health admin staff who are working from home are receiving vaccinations, classified as 1b as ‘health care workers’. Whilst front line 1a workers are still waiting for theirs. It’s a woefully unacceptable.

Get me in front of the media and I’d be scathing too.

ACT Health Minister has also come out saying the supply and comms have been wonky from the Commonwealth... looks like a pretty united and pissed off group of Health Ministers.

Bluesfest just got cancelled.

What a massive disappointment for the organisers, after last year also got cancelled, and they got so close.

I think it's so much harder when you're 'selectively' having to cancel something rather than being just one of thousands all over Australia who are hurting, like they were last March.

Still, probably for the best, both considering the people at the event, and where everybody was coming from.

Another point, and this time brickbats for the Feds. When they instigated the first lockdown, they changed Jobstart so that there was no assets test, and no waiting period (although our daughter had to wait for that to be backpaid, fair enough they were overwhelmed).

Whenever an area has restrictions to this level, where people, esp casuals will be out of work unexpectedly, do the same fecking thing for those postcodes. So what if some people who are suddenly unemployed NOT as a result of Covid, it's a relatively small area.

The assets test is the biggest holdup for many (daughter gave up after five months in 2019), assets of a few thousand, approved immediately March 2020.

I know many won't be put off going to Byron after this, and many may well choose to specifically patronise, but the places that have invested money in this will be understandably looking to cut costs afterwards.

ACT Health Minister has also come out saying the supply and comms have been wonky from the Commonwealth... looks like a pretty united and pissed off group of Health Ministers.

And there's been lots of blow back from the feds criticising the state for (passing the blame) about hoarding (keeping the second dose aside) saying that it will come in time. I wouldn't trust them either. Then other stories about getting ready for a big shipment, it not turning up then having to cancel al appointment then suddenly with no warning heaps more turn up.

It's such a mess. I simply don't understand all those saying morrison was great during Covid when did nothing and not they can't even do vaccine delivery.

And there's been lots of blow back from the feds criticising the state for (passing the blame) about hoarding (keeping the second dose aside) saying that it will come in time. I wouldn't trust them either. Then other stories about getting ready for a big shipment, it not turning up then having to cancel al appointment then suddenly with no warning heaps more turn up.

It's such a mess. I simply don't understand all those saying morrison was great during Covid when did nothing and not they can't even do vaccine delivery.

Exactly. No point (given the current info) of giving people a first dose, if they don't know where a second dose is going to come from. We know that even first doses, fabulous as they are, even with the Pfizer don't 100% protect against transmission Two doses might give us a fighting chance, so suggesting they have sufficient doses for the fist round of even more than the states are giving, is just playing games.

Sancti-claws

I wish that my workmate would shut up about how annoying her mask is already.

Its been 2 days. Other people have had to deal with it for months. I get that you find it uncomfortable but complaining about it ad nauseum isn't going to improve the situation.

Advertisement