IGNORED

Reading challenge 2021

Seayork2002

Riotproof I watched The Dressmaker as soon as I finished the book and white I did love it the book was better. Way better.

I'm about to take my disappointment into the squat rack and drown it with good music and pain lol. I'm downloading a book called Love My Fail by Matthew Quick (a PP mentioned him in a post recently). I'm on two weeks leave as of today and going away (fingers crossed, you never do know huh) for almost a week with no wifi so I'll need to have one or two audiobooks downloaded in reserve.

Sancti-claws

Willa May, that is so disappointing. I wanted to like the dressmaker but I couldn’t. Not even sure I bothered with the movie.

I’m reading Anxious People by Frederick Bachman and I give my marriage a year by someone wainwright?

Both are okay. I’m not feeling the Bachman one like I feel I should. The marriage one is interesting in the way it seems very authentic.

In my book club I was 1 of only 2 that liked Anxious People - and what people hated about it were things I liked!

Riotproof I watched The Dressmaker as soon as I finished the book and white I did love it the book was better. Way better.

I'm about to take my disappointment into the squat rack and drown it with good music and pain lol. I'm downloading a book called Love My Fail by Matthew Quick (a PP mentioned him in a post recently). I'm on two weeks leave as of today and going away (fingers crossed, you never do know huh) for almost a week with no wifi so I'll need to have one or two audiobooks downloaded in reserve.

I just finished re-listening to Love May Fail AND I got my daughter to listen to it too - The Good Luck of Right Now was my "gateway" audio book with his writing - loved it too.

Sancti-claws

I think it depends on your library as to what titles Borrowbox has - I really pushed for my daughter to get out Blue Ribbons Bitter Bread by Susanna de Vries (if you find it, get it out) but her library didn't have it.

Sancti-claws

#16/52 Tomorrow will be a Good Day - Captain Tom Moore

The "autobiography" of the old guy who raised a motza for the NHS by walking around his back yard at 99 - an uncomplicated look at his life through the eras he has lived through. Pleasant and surprising at times.

#17/52 You Could Do Something Amazing With Your Life (You are Raoul Moat)

An - um - interesting read, attempting to tell the story through Raoul's eyes - basically he shot his ex's boyfriend, his ex and a cop and ended up killing himself after a weeklong manhunt. Got through it by virtue of the library being shut all days across Easter.

24. Love May Fail - Matthew Quick (contemporary fiction

I really enjoyed this one. Was exactly what I needed

25. Never Look Back (DI Mike Locker book 1) - Clare Donoghue (crime & thriller)

I was overdue a crime fiction, wasn't the best crime thriller I've listened to but I still really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Sancti-claws

24. Love May Fail - Matthew Quick (contemporary fiction

I really enjoyed this one. Was exactly what I needed

I am so glad you enjoyed it, [mention]Willa May[/mention]

Joining in if that's okay - better late than never!

I go through fits and spurts with reading. Does anyone ever feel guilty about what they read? I put this pressure on myself to read "good" books (i.e. classics or literary fiction), don't enjoy them, and give up halfway.

What I actually enjoy reading most of the time is crime fiction or contemporary/women's fiction - I rip through them with great enjoyment, and then feel bad for not reading something more "quality". I think it stems from working in a bookshop where there was pressure to read "good" books and co-workers would make snarky shaming comments about the customers' choices after they left the store. I'm trying hard to remind myself that any reading is good reading.

Anyway, I'll aim for 32 this year. I'm terrible at recording what I've read, I'm sure I've missed a few:

#1 - The Mother-In-Law, Sally Hepworth

#2 - Little Disasters, Sarah Vaughan

#3 - Apple Tree Yard, Louise Doughty

#4 - The Mother's Promise, Sally Hepworth

#5 - Little Broken Things, Nicole Baart

#6 - Body Language, A. K. Turner

#7 - Keeper, Jessica Moor

#8 - The Good Sister, Sally Hepworth

#9 - The Long, Long Afternoon, Inga Vesper

#10 - Then She Was Gone, Lisa Jewell

#11 - This Has Been Absolutely Lovely, Jessica Dettmann

#12 - Invisible Girl, Lisa Jewell

#13 - The Family Upstairs, Lisa Jewell

#14 - Expectation, Anna Hope

#15 - You Don't Know Me, Sara Foster

#16 - Come Back To Me, Sara Foster

#17 - Just An Ordinary Family, Fiona Lowe

#18 - The Silent Girls, Eric Rickstad

I used to feel like that too, my inlaws are very "well read" and would never have told them what I was reading. But now I don't care. I range from young adult/teen fiction to outback Australian romance, crime thriller and murder mysteries and I don't care who knows. Considering I don't have the attention span to actually read and rely on audiobooks it's no surprise I can't get into the heavy stuff.

Also, I have nieces on both sides very much into poetry, one of them writes a lot. I don't like poetry at all, and often don't get it. When I was in highschool I used to pretent to be right into poetry to fit in with the cool, literate, angsty arty girls. I wished so hard I could be like them, but I wasn't. No matter how hard I wished and tried.

Seayork2002

I just read what I feel like reading, if I read a few heavy crime books I sometimes feel like a funny one, or I am feeling in the mood for a comforting next in a series book of a more 'calm' crime set.

There is no point trying to read some posh 'proper' book or however it is worded if I am not interested in it

I have just finished another on my joy ellis series of books

Sometimes i feel the same way [mention]cardamom[/mention] but then i remember that I read for my own enjoyment, not to please others.

Sometimes it's an escape from the pressures of everyday life which is okay too but if I'm not enjoying a book and am struggling to get through it the only person's time I am wasting is my own. :)

I have a huge bookshelf at home and at the moment I've just been re-reading old favourite series from when i was growing up, it makes me happy and that's all that matters.

I finished I give my marriage a year by Holly Wainwright.

Now I have the bext Becky Chambers, but I’m meant to be finishing Anxious People by Frederick Bachman. Due in 2 days. 10% in. So unless it’s got a lot of blank pages at the end of my Ebook, I don’t think it’s happening.

26. Sorrow and Bliss - Meg Mason (ContemporaryFiction)

Oh my GOODNESS! I absolutely loved this. I'm not sure if it was listed in this thread or if it was one I found randomly. The main character goes through life knowing something is wrong with her but is not correctly diagnosed until she is about 40. I felt like some of this story was written about me. Though her diagnosis isn't revealed in the book, it's just called "x", it doesn't matter, it's not the actual diagnosis readers will relate to, it's the journey before and after and the effect the undiagnosed "condition" has on everyone around her.

#16 From dead to worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) - Charlene Harris

I'm re-reading the whole series because I remembered liking them when i was a teen. Very easy, simple reading with not much substance.

#17 Year one (Chronicles of the one #1) - Nora Roberts

If you like post apocalyptic/dystopian/fantasy then this is a good one. I really loved it.

27. The House Across The Street - Lesley Pearse (Crime & Thriller/b]

28. Breath - Tim Winton (Contemporary Australin Fiction)

I really loved this one, had a hint of Puberty Blues feel to it. I've never surfed but I really got the feel of the thrill of it from this book. I'm keen to find more from the same Author.

29. Shallows - Tim Winton

I was really excited about getting my ears on another one of thus Author's books seeing as I loved the first one I listened to but sadly I think I actually hated this one. I don't know why I stuck it out. I vagued out many times through it, it really lost me. None of the characters interested me and I often got them mixed up. This was the worst audiobook I've listened to all the way through. Ouch.

Sancti-claws

19/52 - The Other Bennett Sister - Janice Hadlow

I have had this book for ages - started it and just put it aside because I wasn't really getting into it - until I had nothing else to read on the weekend.

Ended up loving it greatly - wonderful, especially once you get past the P&P timeline and she is able to really flesh out the main character.

Dearly by Margaret Atwood. Loved this one. Enjoyed it more as an audio but it’s good to go and read the poems after. I love her voice.

Sancti-claws

20/52 Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel - Ruth Hogan

A book that kept showing promise and was quite good. Still mulling it over a bit.

21/52 His Only Wife - Peace Adzo Medie

Thankfully the gauze of seeing it through a different culture's eyes meant that I didn't fully yell at the main character, and the ending was well handled.

• 2 weeks later...
Willa May

30. The It Girls - Karen Harper (family sagas, historicalfiction

Very enjoyable, most of the characters were annoying though.

31. Young Bess - Margaret Irwin ( historicalfiction)

Hmmmm, now y'all know I have a thing for the Tudor era but I gotta say, this is the worst I've listened to from it. Elizabeth (Bess) daughter of Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn is an annoying turd in this book. It really ruined the image I had in my head of her from the movie "Elizabeth:the golden age" played by Cate Blanchette. Other than that it droaned on a bit and I got lost a few times.

Now I can finally get onto the Dressmaker's Secret.

Sancti-claws

30. The It Girls - Karen Harper (family sagas, historicalfiction

Very enjoyable, most of the characters were annoying though.

31. Young Bess - Margaret Irwin ( historicalfiction)

Hmmmm, now y'all know I have a thing for the Tudor era but I gotta say, this is the worst I've listened to from it. Elizabeth (Bess) daughter of Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn is an annoying turd in this book. It really ruined the image I had in my head of her from the movie "Elizabeth:the golden age" played by Cate Blanchette. Other than that it droaned on a bit and I got lost a few times.

Now I can finally get onto the Dressmaker's Secret.

I just finished reading that.

I actually had to go back and reread The Dressmaker to get who everyone was again first, though!

So my latest was:

22/52 - The Dressmaker - Rosalie Ham

23/52 - The Dressmakers Secret - Rosalie Ham

24/52 - Gifted Hands - The Ben Carson Story - Greg Lewis and Deborah Shaw-Lewis (kids edition) - read this as it is a set book for my daughter's school. Interesting.

Advertisement