IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

Yes, get tested because you won’t be able to get into the doctor for whatever else it might be if you haven’t had a clear test... and if it’s not clear, well, you probably need to know!

brisketbuns

Definitely get tested, even though it's probably just a cold. I just got tested for the same reason yesterday, and my results came through in about 18 hours. I was going to be at home over that time anyway, because I'm not feeling well.

I also just really didn't want to be 'that' person, in case it was positive, that was listed on the news as getting symptoms and then going out to places before getting tested. It happened here in Perth at the start of the year

Julie3Girls

Yes get tested now. Means if you continue to get worse, you can get into a doctor, rather than having to test and wait and then get an appt.

ImperatorFuriosa

I went and got tested. The nearest clinics car park was packed out and I had to go park on the very edge of a over flow car park and it seemed like it took longer than normal to walk all the way there from the car with my tired legs. lol

purplekitty

So the EU denies blocking Australian supplies of vaccines except 250,000 despite what Smirko has been telling us.

I'll be turning the big 5-0 next month, so will I be getting the AZ or the Pfizer vaccine, given I will be down the track sometime?

Lots of mentions of under 50 and over 50 but not = 50!

I'll be turning the big 5-0 next month, so will I be getting the AZ or the Pfizer vaccine, given I will be down the track sometime?

Lots of mentions of under 50 and over 50 but not = 50!

You will be getting the AZ because the roll out would not have you getting the vaccine within the next month unless you are in 1A or 1B.

8 new cases in SA today. All in medi-hotels already, so all good, but that is a lot for us in one day. It’s the most we’ve had since our Parafield cluster last Nov.

Scomo today saying 1000 cases a day if we open borders even if everyone is vaccinated in Au. So I wonder, how exactly will they ever open the borders. There are billions of people in the world ... I can't see them all vaccinated until ... well ever. So how will it happen?

At some point we have to be ok with managing cases, we can't stay shut indefinitely while the rest of the world moves on.

48 yo NSW woman has died as a result of blood clots possibly related to vaccination - vaccine type yet to be confirmed.

Scomo today saying 1000 cases a day if we open borders even if everyone is vaccinated in Au. So I wonder, how exactly will they ever open the borders. There are billions of people in the world ... I can't see them all vaccinated until ... well ever. So how will it happen?

At some point we have to be ok with managing cases, we can't stay shut indefinitely while the rest of the world moves on.

I’m hoping it will eventually be like the flu, chicken pox or measles. Most Australians are immunised and there is sufficient herd immunity for it to not devastate the community when we have outbreaks.

With the chicken pox vaccine, it doesn’t prevent people from catching chicken pox but it is usually a milder form.

My understanding was that the majority of Australian measles outbreaks, have been imported from overseas where there isn’t the same level of vaccinations. We have been able to contain the outbreaks with a mixture of herd immunity and contact tracing.

I hope we get to that point with Covid eventually. Many experts talk about the need to focus on countries where Covid is out of control and try to contain it so the opportunities for the virus to mutate into different variants is reduced.

I do feel that while the vaccine is in such short supply, Australia shouldn’t be using it domestically on a mass vaccination basis. We should definitely be trying to manufacture them domestically (and not just one type) so that we are adding to the world’s supply but also so that when needed, we can supply ourselves without being at the mercy of others.

48 yo NSW woman has died as a result of blood clots possibly related to vaccination - vaccine type yet to be confirmed.

AZ vaccine. However it seems from the reports they are still investigating if is a link to the rare clots that develop after about 10 days and it may be a due different more common type of clot, as it formed within 24 hours of the vaccine.

In the other two AZ cases the link was made fairly quickly. In this sad death, the woman first developed the clot a week ago now and not apparently reported at that time.

Edited by Iamferalz

Not 1000 a day but 1000 a week. So approx 150 per day, with no quarantine. I think they should keep some form of quarantine for many years and get those cases down further.

It looks like they are considering home quarantine for vaccinated people to attend funerals and to go on business, so at least that’s a start.

Being right on the cutoff age is scary and with so little information on the whys and wherefores it does plug into some fear, despite repeatedly telling myself it's less than the risk from covid if I got it. Even though I know for whatever reason the media are doing everything in their power to fuck with my emotions by overplaying it by reporting every single event.

I think the three are 46, 40 and 48. Somehow peoples' clot risk is meant to have dropped over the course of a year or two in age? I thought the study said primarily women under 60. So why 50?

I know we start costing the govt serious money after this age what with becoming eligible for free mammograms, comprehensive health screening, free bowel cancer screening etc. And sadly I also now know that those currently in charge are devoid of all human empathy and are actually morally capable of making decisions that coldly.. So maybe that is feeding into my fear.

I do not trust these people to value my life. At all.

Being right on the cutoff age is scary and with so little information on the whys and wherefores it does plug into some fear, despite repeatedly telling myself it's less than the risk from covid if I got it. Even though I know for whatever reason the media are doing everything in their power to fuck with my emotions by overplaying it by reporting every single event.

Yes the AMA has had a go at the media and called for calm on the way it reports these cases.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-16/doctors-call-for-calm-over-covid19-vaccine-blood-clots/100073284

I do feel that while the vaccine is in such short supply, Australia shouldn’t be using it domestically on a mass vaccination basis. We should definitely be trying to manufacture them domestically (and not just one type) so that we are adding to the world’s supply but also so that when needed, we can supply ourselves without being at the mercy of others.

I like the idea of Australia recasting itself as a vaccine manufacturer, especially if other wealthy countries join into the effort as well. There is a movement to try and persuade drug companies to relent on intellectual property rights so this can happen (although Australia isn’t supporting it unfortunately.)

If that happens, I do think they should vaccinate Australians as well, so as to be seen to be sharing the small risk load of acquiring worldwide herd immunity. It’s not a good look if wealthy white people (by stereotype) do not get vaccinated and appear to be propelling brown people in poorer countries to the front of the queue. It’s going to make “experimentation” conspiracy theories look convincing.

I really do hope larger scale domestic manufacturing happens though.

As well as vaccinations, the government should be planning for the production of treatments.

An Australian/UK study showed the effectiveness of an asthma medication for the treatment of Covid. It reduced the need for intubation in most hospitalised patients.

There’s a new drug that I’m finding exciting considering the hurdles of worldwide mass vaccination. I hope Covid has helped to demonstrate the need for Australia to be self sufficient in the manufacturing of certain basics like medication.

There was a shortage of ventolin last year and Epipens. We shouldn’t be in the position of having to rely on overseas companies and governments to provide access to these things in Australia. And that’s before we even talk about the ridiculous virtual warehouse stock of PPE.

Monoclonal antibody treatment has been approved in several other countries, but GSK’s drug will be the first new treatment available for COVID-19 in Australia.

The drug, called Sotrovimab, has been shown in clinical trials to result in an 85 per cent reduction of hospitalisations among COVID-19 positive patients.

“Monoclonal antibodies basically mimic the body’s own immune system to help target and fight off harmful pathogens,” said GSK’s medical lead for COVID therapeutics, Krystal Evans.

“This drug can both neutralise the virus directly, by essentially tagging the virus, and the immune system can help clear it, and it also prevents the virus from entering into the cells of the human body so it can’t replicate.

“The other thing that this antibody does is help the immune system to clear already infected cells. So it’s got this dual function, it can both block the virus and help the immune system clear the virus before it’s infected the body.

GSK has partnered with Californian biotech Vir Biotechnology to develop the drug. Phase III clinical trials were not able to be carried out in Australia due to low COVID-19 case numbers and so were completed overseas.

Sancti-claws

And they were vaccinated....

Vaccination apparently doesn't stop you from getting it totally - it stops you from getting it so badly that you get really sick and theoretically should stop you from transmitting it.

Am very worried about the new 'double mutant' variant in India, which is said to be more transmissible. UK have banned travel from India. I wonder if this is where our quarantine cases are originating? I don't want this strain here especially since most of us aren't vaccinated.

Dadwasathome

Am very worried about the new 'double mutant' variant in India, which is said to be more transmissible. UK have banned travel from India. I wonder if this is where our quarantine cases are originating? I don't want this strain here especially since most of us aren't vaccinated.

Mind you, the UK “ban” is still weaker than our process in place for over a year.

But there is cause for concern. I’m still very interested in the apparent in-HQ transmission cases now given we haven’t had them before and which variant it is.

Advertisement