IGNORED

Your worst accomodation experience?

FiveAus

What a horrible experience FiveAus!

I have only used Air B&B once, and it felt like I was running our home in another location. I've always used hotels since. That's not to write that all hotels have the features they claim.

The worst experience I've ever had was in Mauritius. The government had made a decision to only allow high end hotels to be build. We wanted to stay somewhere more "authentic" and where the money we paid stayed in the country. We ended up in a "hotel" that was half complete, as in it was only half built with ongoing construction works. The buffet breakfast was yoghurt pots and croissants from the supermarket that had been freighted from France and really at the end of their natural shelf life. The hot water in the shower only worked for the person who had the first shower each day - we kept tabs and all of us had to take cold showers at night. The toilet didn't flush between 11 AM and 3 PM.

My partner made that booking. I double check all travel options now before we commit.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• FiveAus

• squeekums-the-elf

• Givingitanothergo

Top Posters In This Topic

We use Airbnb because they are more likely to allow dogs, although a previous one advertised they were pet friendly but on booking, we were told the dogs weren't allowed inside and the yard had farm fencing, and farm animals in the paddocks next to the cottage. I'm still trying to work out how that was "pet friendly" because it didn't seem like the dogs were welcome at all.

Used to be teens

Booked through booking.com for accomodation in London. Advertised as having full kitchen and washing machine. We walked down the hallway past a huge pile of smelly, dirty sheets and towels. Enter the room. No washing machine, some cutlery, 1 bowl, 1 plate, 1 mug (booked for 2), only way to heat anything was using the kettle (which was also foul). Room smelt like a sewer. And I had paid a good amount for it. We couldn’t stay. Paid to stay elsewhere. Because I ticked we didn’t stay I couldn’t leave a review as to why, probably why there weren’t really any poor reviews.

Nickersnewt

The best/worst stay for us was an AirBnB in Wollongong. We were there for a wedding and there were six of us - four adults and two kids aged 4 and 5. The AirBNB wa on top of the owners house and was clearly used for overseas students during term time as it has multiple dorm like rooms connected by a long corridor. The long corridor was clearly a good place for young boys to run up and down which the owner disliked. We also realized she had a key and access to our rooms as she would appear without knocking and ask us to stop the boys running. A politely worded review was added when we left and we never stay at an AirBNB which has the owner in close proximity.

I also hate AirBNBs that say they are pet friendly but don’t let dogs inside or have secure fencing. We’ve had a number of very stressful holidays as a result. Why bother saying you are pet friendly when you aren’t.

Ineedcoffee

that sounds horrible

In my carnie days we stayed at a hotel in Pt Augusta, last minute booking and rest of town booked out apart from this place

Pull up, old hotel/pub, looks a bit seedy

the whole room only had 2 single, old beds and a shared bedside table, no tv, not even a clock radio

The towels were a good 20 years old, ratty, holey, no pressure in shower

Can tell a broom or vacuum had never seen the room

So at that point we went for dinner at another pub, start talking to the bar tender, they ask where we staying, cue look of horror. He proceeds to warn us that the hotel we in had a stabbing only the week before and warn us to keep our van out front, in the light due to theft risk

We eat, get back, move van and try to go to bed, only to hear the hotels guard dogs barking all night and my friend jumping up when they bark to check on van

We got no sleep, now thats due to the dogs, uncomfortable bed and scratchy as fuck blankets

The next year we booked weeks in advance and got the gated, new build motel for only $40 more

I think I’ve stayed there too! This was years ago though and we had driven from Tennant Creek and were just exhausted.

My worst was staying at the hotel connected to the Aileron roadhouse an hour away from Alice Springs. There was a crack in the wall bigger than my head and I remember laying in bed looking out at the stars through the crack.

I have found a broken acrylic nail between the top sheet and the doona cover at a Hilton hotel. The price doesn’t always reflect cleanliness.

Givingitanothergo

Left my friend to book accommodation in ‘Byron’ after I booked the airfares. Introduced to a dark room for one well out of Byron. Room for two with two single beds and no windows. Pictured a beautiful pool which was literally a pond. These people are criminals. We gave up our fully paid for room at premium price and sought better accommodation. Maybe it was our fault.. but how do these people get away with this?

Givingitanothergo

Left my friend to book accommodation in ‘Byron’ after I booked the airfares. Introduced to a dark room for one well out of Byron. Room for two with two single beds and no windows. Pictured a beautiful pool which was literally a pond. These people are criminals. We gave up our fully paid for room at premium price and sought better accommodation. Maybe it was our fault.. but how do these people get away with this?

Sorry edited to add. My grandparents lived in a small country town. When it came to celebrate by grandfathers birthday there wasn’t enough room so we booked at the local pub. Apart from the horrible communal bathrooms one of the pillow slips was filled with empty cans

squeekums-the-elf

I think I’ve stayed there too! This was years ago though and we had driven from Tennant Creek and were just exhausted.

my sympathies if you have lol

overlytired

This was a long time ago, October 1988 and before internet review sites, but the Carter Hotel in New York. We (3 friends and I) had gone on a bus trip from Montreal for a long weekend. It was horrific and felt unsafe. The room they gave us hadn't been cleaned so we were given another room, which was still dirty, but differently so. There was a woman in the hallway holding a paper lunch bag. Just... standing there. For hours. Not moving. The place was creepy.

Fast forward to 2021 and I see it hasn't changed: https://observer.com/2014/07/who-is-actually-staying-in-new-york-citys-dirtiest-hotel/

New York's dirtiest hotel and apparently "three-time winner of TripAdvisor’s dirtiest hotel in America survey".

Seayork2002

We stayed at the carrington in katoomba many years ago with the inlaws we love it's charm but it was not clean and very dusty. We stayed there recently and thankfully better this time

Silverstreak

Our worst one was in a little apartment in Italy (we also had some fabulous accommodation in Italy, but this thread is about the worst.) It was this dingy apartment with a couple of mezzanine levels. My brother was on the top level, with his head just under what looked like a thatched roof.

The kitchen had no cooking facilities whatsoever, which was annoying, but the main problem was when someone in the hallway stubbed out a cigarette into a pot plant and started a fire. Luckily Mum noticed the smell (the tenant closest to the fire didn't, as he'd just had a nose operation!) Hate to think what would have happened if the place became ablaze, what with the thatched roof and all these tiny winding corridors that were divided by sheets of plastic!

A hostel (private rooms) in Dublin. There was no hot water and the heater didn't work. It was run down and draughty. It was January. I felt like I'd never get warm again.

A "hotel" in Queenscliff- the outside looked gorgeous but the rooms were extremely old, everything was very shabby and there were dodgy shared bathrooms. The musty smell in the entire place was quite overwhelming.

Advertisement